By an edhat reader

Does anybody have more info or know who’s paying for the Dog Park being built near State and De La Vina?

LocalMatt Apr 23, 2019 05:01 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

Factotum. Projects do not necessarily cost more than estimated. The engineers estimated cost present to give contractors a baseline for bidding. 9 times out of 10 the contractor who has the lowest bid is actually lower than what was actually estimated by the engineers. Also when a construction company is the lowest bid it doesn't mean they automatically make money for that job. Contractors take on all the responsibilities and costs. So if it takes longer and they screw up during the job the contractor could go in the negative and lose money for that job.

tagdes Apr 25, 2019 11:38 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

Exactly, just like to add that when we awarded the contracts there were 3 important issues. There is a contingency of likely 10% to cover extra work for unforeseen problems or something we missed in the design, there are costly penalty days for every day over the listed contract days and yes... there is every likely hood that a city or county job will cost more than a private one because the contractor must use required MBEs ( Minority Business Enterprises ) for subs and Union contractors.

a-1566358558 Apr 23, 2019 03:59 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

IF this dog park gets designated, who's, be honest now, going to remove all the feces so the flies & other nastiness don't show up to the feast? Every dog park I visited with our furry friend has been the pits due to the overwhelming odor & lack of respect for others due to failure to pick up after their animals. How do we know this won't be the same?

PitMix Apr 24, 2019 08:31 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

Sounds like you are volunteering for this job? I've never seen this problem in any of the dog parks I've visited. Which ones do you visit?

a-1566358558 Apr 23, 2019 12:21 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

Needle disposal boxes at MacKenzie Park? Starbucks Coffee managers put in requests to have sharps-disposal boxes installed in their bathrooms....and "report finding blood and needles and being pricked by improperly discarded sharps, risking exposure to HIV and hepatitis." Opioid users, use our parks.

RHS Apr 23, 2019 12:56 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

Please give a citation for this claim. Is it even from Santa Barbara should it exist at all?

Phantom Blot Apr 23, 2019 09:43 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

A-1556037125 - The Eucalyptus do have an earthy pungency but it is the Jacaranda in bloom that smells most like urea. Especially downtown, where they get peed on at 2:10am on many nights.

a-1566358558 Apr 23, 2019 07:35 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

Needles. Check each time you go there. This issue has proven to be a problem at many parks. Keep your dog close to you until you're sure the area is clean, each time you go.

420722 Apr 22, 2019 07:18 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

I look forward to this dog park. The corner of that park sucked anyways. The only thing that was there was some boulders, passed out bums and beer bottles.

Bug Girl Apr 23, 2019 07:24 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

The corner of that park used to be the playground area when I was a young'un - it was the last park in all of SB to have a merry-go-round. I always loved it for that reason, and it was a big turning point in disappointment and the loss of childhood when they bulldozed it to replace it with boulders and wood-chips. I'm glad they're making it a place for someone to play, even if it's for puppers and doggos instead of kiddos. :)

a-1566358558 Apr 22, 2019 08:10 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

I agree with 722. I called the City and asked that the workers clean up the fence area where the homeless have been putting lots of their trash. I also called Quality Inn to ask them to monitor and report when the homeless hang out on their wall on DLV. I think they did and I think I see a sign now posted there. These homeless must be sleeping in the bushes behind the homes that border the park. The camps need to be cleared out. When the dog park opens, everyone will need to work hard to keep it clean and functional as a dog park, not a homeless hangout. Reporting vagrancy, obstructing pedestrian traffic on the sidewalk and panhandling at Trader Joes and at the intersection of STate and DLV will make the police do something.

LocalMatt Apr 22, 2019 04:57 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

To answer some of these questions. Factotum, I know what is going on in the city because I care and do my research. Every major project bid is shown on the Santa Barbara city website. It literally takes 10 seconds to find out what jobs are bidding and where. If you want to know the amount bid for jobs simply call or email the city project inspector or city manager who deals with that job. I dont have time to watch the city TV channel, but sometimes I do and it has information that you wouldn't otherwise know. To the other statement by the dog owner. It's a give and take. The city owns the land. Did you want them to buy new land for a dog park. Of course not all dog owners are smart enough to keep their dogs on a leash until inside the park. At tucker's grove there is a playground before the dog park and the walk to the dog park from the parking area is just as far. Do we complain about that? Zero new construction jobs are perfect. But at some point the city has to move forward so jobs can get going. Even jobs that are supposed to be done per plan get changed during the construction phase. There are an amazing amount of unfounded hurdles that require the city to change the scope of work and have part of the job changed to a time and material job for the contractor.

Factotum Apr 22, 2019 05:51 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

I am in favor of the dog park. You are arguing with the wrong person.It costs what city projects cost. However, it would be an interesting Grand Jury exploration to compare what a similar project would cost a private land owner with what the city, due to multiple and often self-serving regulations costs the taxpayers. Can we streamline city construction projects to give greater benefit to the taxpayers who fund them? Have they become Christmas trees laden with special interest demands to have their fingers in the public money pie too, Or is there proven benefit doing it only the city way. All construction projects, even private one, follow the same rule - twice as expensive and three times as long as the original estimate. Or is it, three times more expensive and twice as long.

LocalMatt Apr 22, 2019 02:54 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

People have zero clue how and why projects exist. Lumping city worker projects with bid per plan projects that use funds that the city has applied for. There are zero offleash fenced in dog areas in the city of Santa Barbara. There are 2 or 3 in goleta. Obviously it's a section of Mackenzie park that was under used and vagrants would use it every day. The ball fields for youth baseball require that big parking lot close by. If you have a dog you can park in that lot and walk your dog to other side of the park. People will cry about anything and everything. It's a great new dog park for the city and the people who asked for one for so many years. You dont like it? Dont use it.

Eggs Ackley Apr 24, 2019 10:10 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

Who's f'in community is it? OURS!!! You miscreants advocating bad behavior and telling citizens they should stay inside to avoid the pervasive anti-social are as much of the problem as the clueless dog owners, vagrants, etc. For enabling this kind of behavior. Speaking of unchained....If a dog owner can't control their dog ON-leash, wtf are they doing coming to an OFF-leash park?

Bug Girl Apr 23, 2019 03:39 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

Luvaduck in this particular context barking, snarling, lunging and jumping at my infant in a carrier strapped to my chest are the indications of violence that these dogs had. I had to kick one of them in the head to make it stop trying to bite my baby's feet.

a-1566358558 Apr 23, 2019 01:32 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

BUGGIRL - I don't walk my dog over there, for the same reason - I don't like unleashed dogs running up to my dog while I'm trying to train him. I think you need to relax a little with your violent thoughts about dogs.

a-1566358558 Apr 23, 2019 01:30 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

LUVADUCK - what's your point? If a dog is running towards you, then you should defend yourself no matter what?

Luvaduck Apr 23, 2019 01:14 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

How do you propose to know if a dog running at you & your youngsters is going to bite? Are they dyed a particular color or something? For you who are confused and call yourself your pet's "mother" (there IS a word for that), dogs are animals not people and do not have the same restraints. That's why there are leash laws.

Bug Girl Apr 23, 2019 01:06 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

12:08PM or maybe only people who are responsible for their dog's behavior should be allowed into public spaces with their dogs. Then other people can use spaces that are designated to be a Preserve for Families to enjoy. I've been walking the DFP for over 30 years, and no dog, even a pitbull, is going to stop me. Walk your ill-behaved beast elsewhere, or keep them leashed. If the sight of an infant will make your dog want to take a bite out of it, it deserves to be put down.

a-1566358558 Apr 23, 2019 12:08 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

BUG Girl - then I misunderstood you. But still, if you're carrying a knife on your walks with your baby, maybe you should avoid places (such as DFP) that make you feel like you need to be armed to go to.

Bug Girl Apr 23, 2019 11:44 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

Also, (probably the same person) but replying to 11:24 AM comment, I wouldn't be going to a fenced in dog park and expect dogs to not approach me. However, if I'm at the baseball diamond or somewhere else in a park (including the Douglas Family Preserve, which is NOT a dog park, but allows well behaved off leash dogs) and am threatened, I'm not above kicking a dog to protect myself or a family member. Two pitbulls tried to jump and bite my baby's feet at the DFP and the owner didn't do a F***ing thing about it while I screamed and yelled and fended them off. I carry a knife now.

Bug Girl Apr 23, 2019 11:41 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

8:42 AM I'm not going to do anything to a well behaved dog that approaches me in a friendly way. I actually love dogs. I'm just fed up with snarling, lunging, and threatening dogs. I've been attacked several times by offleash dogs while just minding my own business. If your dog tries to come up to me or my child and is acting like they're going to attack, I will put it down myself.

a-1566358558 Apr 23, 2019 11:24 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

PITMIX - I agree 100% however, BUG GIRL seems to be threatening the safety of misbehaving off leash dogs in a dog park.

PitMix Apr 23, 2019 11:17 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

I would guess that if an off leash dog runs up to someone in an area that is leash only, anything that happens next is the fault of the dog's owner. A few years back an off leash small dog ran up to a leashed standard poodle on the leash side of Hendry's and was killed by the bigger dog. Totally the fault of the small dog owner. And this applies to people using those retractable leashes, as leashes are a max of 6 ft in the City.

PitMix Apr 23, 2019 11:12 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

Almost no one taking their dog to an actual dog park lets their dog run off leash on the way to the park. If that is how you roll, you just take them to the nearest open area like a school or other park or beach and let them run around. The bigger problem with the dog parks are the dogs that haven't been socialized enough or aren't under voice control. Before you take your dog in, you always have to assess the other dogs that are there to make sure it will be a positive experience for your dog.

a-1566358558 Apr 23, 2019 08:42 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

BUG GIRL - If you think you are free to take "precautionary measures" that would cause vet bills (ie, injure or maim a dog) without liability just because a dog runs up to you or your family, then you are sadly and sorely mistaken. Self defense, sure, but that has it's limits. If you mace/kick/beat a dog that comes up to greet you, then you are, most definitely, paying some vet bills... if not your own med bills after the owner takes action.

Bug Girl Apr 23, 2019 07:55 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

4:12PM- If you can't be bothered to take the time to properly train your dog to behave while on leash or to come when called when off leash, you should not have a dog. Period. Or, barring "you shouldn't have dogs" (which I feel strongly about), you should not take your dogs with you outside of your private property if you can't control them. It's people with attitudes such as you, or that you name and condone, that give dog owners a bad reputation. If your dog misbehaves and tries to run at myself or my family, I will take precautionary measures and I will not be liable for any vet bills if damage ensues. Human safety takes precedence. I don't care how far from the off-leash area the parking lot, it is the pet owner's responsibility to ensure the safety of other people and animals in the vicinity.

Bug Girl Apr 23, 2019 07:56 AM

Ahchooo Apr 23, 2019 07:33 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

You may want a better space with closer parking. But this was the space that was up for grabs. Take it or leave it.

a-1566358558 Apr 22, 2019 04:12 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

LOCALMATT: As a dog owner and decades-long user of off-leash space, I, too, question the logic of locating the MacKenzie Park dog off-leash space at such a distance from the parking lot. Not all dog owners have admirable control of their dogs on leash. There will be many distractions between the parking lot and the off-leash space, causing some dogs to misbehave. I can bet you dollars to doughnuts that one of the first problems with this new off-leash space will be the fact that many dog owners will let their dogs out of their vehicles and make their way to the dog enclosures without keeping their dogs on leash. Why? Because it's easier that way for many people, especially elderly people and people who haven't spent the time to train their dogs to behave properly on leash. This is why, in the first place, a lot of people prefer fenced-in spaces over open space for off-leash------because when fenced in their dogs can run and play and not need to be trained to stay close to their owners or be trained to come when called. Thus, for them, a shorter walk to an enclosed space is preferable to and much more desirable than having to struggle to control an untrained, eager-to-play dog across any appreciable distance.

Factotum Apr 22, 2019 03:35 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

If people have zero clues about city project funding and initiation, city is not making their case or keeping taxpayers well informed. This would be a system problem; not a one shot publicity problem. Every city resident should be able to recite sources of city revenues and how each impacts the city and its future. Two way street- residents need to educate themselves as much as the city needs to get these messages out too. City tax initiatives like recent Measure C are a classic misinformation campaign, so don't just blame the residents since the city plays hide and seek too often themselves when it comes to city funding of anything. City is not honest then they take "free money" from other sources, what strings also come with that "free" money that compromise out city future as well. The recent rushed "tiny house" debacle was a prime example - sticking a dagger into the very heart of the city itself, just to get some "free" money.

a-1566358558 Apr 22, 2019 12:38 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

Is there going to be 24 hour security or do we have to chase the homeless away with our dogs when we arrive?

a-1566358558 Apr 22, 2019 08:56 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

0802/12:38 p.m. Of course there won't be "24-hour security." One thing I do know is that more than one breed of dog doesn't cotton to homeless people. Must have something to do with scent and possibly erratic movement, too, I think. On more than one occasion my dog (110 lb buttercup) would go into stiff-legged, hair on end all up her back stalking mode whenever we encountered a homeless person. On three such occasions, it was just my dog and me and the unknown bedraggled stranger in a (then) lonely location. Each time I pretended like my dog was a force to be reckoned with. Thereafter, at all three sites, I never again saw those undesirable persons. One incident took place at DFP and the other time was Summerland Beach. The third time was at the Bird Refuge, north side of the pond. You better believe I was happy my dog "took umbrage" to those transients. I foresee dog vs. homeless confrontations at MacKenzie Park but, hopefully, none will result in any harm done.

PitMix Apr 22, 2019 12:02 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

0.3 acre for the big dogs, and 0.2 ac for the small dogs. Bigger is better, but 0.3 ac is about 13,000 sf, or about 130 ft x 100 ft. That's pretty big in SB terms. Anyway, it is better than they have now, which is nothing.

PitMix Apr 23, 2019 09:12 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

That's what the project info said, I don't have any info to show they are lying. Do you?

a-1566358558 Apr 22, 2019 12:18 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

There's no way on Earth it's 0.3 acres for one of those enclosures. That's a huge area. I'll believe that when I see it.

mattyboy Apr 22, 2019 11:40 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

Where do I submit my application for my free, taxpayer funded hobby space? I don't have any dogs...

a-1566358558 Apr 22, 2019 12:14 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

MATTYBOY: Taxpayer "you" already has tennis courts, soccer fields, football stadiums, baseball diamonds, lawn bowls, picnic areas, etc.

SantaBarbaraObserver Apr 22, 2019 11:54 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

Mattyboy, havent you been on here proudly citing how you're a homeless guy who lives off of other people's money and compassion by getting anything and everything you can for free? And yet here you are asking for more, for free... Therein lies your problem MattyBoy and is the #1 reason you're exactly where you are in life...

a-1566358558 Apr 22, 2019 11:03 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

I'm certain there are people here on Edhat who know much more than I regarding this new place for off-leash recreation. Please enlighten me. I have a couple questions: (1) Why is the off-leash space at the east end of the park when the parking lot is at the west end? (I know there is street parking at the east end, but what a recipe for disaster----unloading dogs near that traffic zone.) (2) Does the City really expect small dog and large dog enclosures at one end of MacKenzie (correct spelling) Park to be large enough to accommodate a copious amount of off-leash dogs? It seems to me the enclosures will be far too small and will be overwhelmed by users. Am I wrong?

sbmh2015 Apr 22, 2019 02:46 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

City does not care is answer to both your questions. This has been in work for a long time. I went to all the meetings. Your two questions were asked. City gave that blank stare that they always do. The concerns of the residents in that neighborhood were brought up. The city DID NOT care.

a-1566358558 Apr 22, 2019 10:57 AM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

Dog Park? Forget it! Take them over to the Wilcox Property & let them run loose there amongst the dog piles, flies & other unsavory artifacts created by irresponsible dog owners & their furry friends. At least the few neighborhood cats I see once in a blue moon bury their stuff.

a-1566358558 Apr 22, 2019 02:04 PM
Dog Park on State & De La Vina

Agree with 12:25. But the Wilcox does smell very, very strongly of dog pee.

Pages