State Street Underpass Interactive Light Art Installation

Scroll through the above photos

By an edhat reader

The Arts Fund presented a light art exhibit last night at the Santa Barbara State Street underpass as part of the City of Santa Barbara's "Experiment Weekend." https://www.santabarbaraca.gov/business/downtown/experiment_weekend.asp

Experiment Weekend continues on the night of Saturday, April 20 from 7:30pm to 11pm with with art installations on the 400 and 500 blocks of State Street.

a-1558868757 Apr 21, 2019 03:48 PM
State Street Underpass Interactive Light Art Installation

Parking a nightmare downtown? Seems to me unusual for a city to offer free parking for 75 minutes; rarely are the lots full. The light installation sounds good, sorry to have missed it.

TWOSCOOPS Apr 21, 2019 02:17 PM
State Street Underpass Interactive Light Art Installation

I'm not sure if I'm new in town. I've lived here full-time for two decades. I bought a house (ye olde money pit), planted a garden, removed my yard grass in favor of succulents, care for wildlife, worry about wildfires, volunteer, make small donations, search for the next great local restaurant, smile more than frown.

pstarSR Apr 24, 2019 07:39 AM
State Street Underpass Interactive Light Art Installation

Im sorry me again, are you high? what are you talking about? 1 that has nothing to do with the article, and 2. what the hell are you talking about. ok I think TwoScoops is having a "moment". this post/thread is just twoscoops trying to reassure themselves.... its getting strange

TWOSCOOPS Apr 21, 2019 01:13 PM
State Street Underpass Interactive Light Art Installation

Santa Barbara and Goleta are both very exiting to me. I'm enjoying the newness of stores and restaurants, and those businesses on the way. That's how I feel. I visited the Target store, and there were plenty of parking spaces. It was bigger inside than I thought it would be. Really looking forward to the Goleta big Target this winter. Jeannine's is opening in Goleta soon. The Marketplace by the theater is a lovely spot for various restaurants and hanging out. The telescope people show up there several evenings a month. The airport has announced new non-stop flights. There are lots of people in Goleta and Santa Barbara who are working diligently to make our experiences and options first class. Thank you!

420722 Apr 23, 2019 06:05 PM
State Street Underpass Interactive Light Art Installation

I’m torn..I agree with @2:41 and the positive outlook of two scoops. Ultimately, it seems like all of sudden everyone and their mother wants to live right here in Santa Barbara making it feel dirty and overcrowded. I’m bummed that the new people are forcing changes which seem to make my home town more and more unrecognizable yet, I sure do enjoy the plethora of delicious new food shops and great beer and have met some really nice people. I will never get tired of exploring the city & studying the architecture of the houses. A morning hike followed by a dip in the ocean is enough to keep me here.

a-1558868757 Apr 21, 2019 02:41 PM
State Street Underpass Interactive Light Art Installation

You need to be new to town to like the drastic changes that are making Santa Barbara something other than Santa Barbara. It is more crowded, congestion is worse, there are more homeless, there is more trash on the streets, there are fewer stores for residents and more stores for tourists, parking is a nightmare downtown and the Funk Zone, and there is a wine bar on every corner without any or enough. Meanwhile carbon emissions and rents are up as tourism increase and we push workers out with skyrocketing rents and homes are turned into short term vacation rentals. All while the City says BUILD BABY BUILD and it gets ultra luxury apartments for the VERY welled heeled or SBCC students rather than something workers can afford. - You can't be from here to understand what residents and real locals have lost.

pstarSR Apr 21, 2019 12:32 PM
State Street Underpass Interactive Light Art Installation

Im sorry but what? it is not better. it is just as bad as it has always been. it is NOT 100% occupancy there are still tons of empty stores. I have no idea what TWOSCOOPS is talking about.

Flicka Apr 21, 2019 11:44 AM
State Street Underpass Interactive Light Art Installation

TWOSCOOPS, What a great optimistic comment. Thank you. We've been reading on Edhat lately about how awful downtown State Street is. Living in Carpinteria we have everything we need right here so don't get into SB but rarely.

TWOSCOOPS Apr 21, 2019 11:02 AM
State Street Underpass Interactive Light Art Installation

State Street looks so much better! I was thrilled to see almost 100% occupancy, and wonderful little stores. This art exhibit on the underpass looks interesting, and VERY creative. I do believe that Santa Barbara really is coming back from the brink. Not so many crazies there, too. Vibrancy has replaced vagrancy! Thank you all!

pstarSR Apr 24, 2019 07:42 AM
State Street Underpass Interactive Light Art Installation

odd because silicon valley, and the bay area have the exact same exodus happening where the engineers that work for google and apple cant afford to live there, it wont be any different here.

Factotum Apr 21, 2019 04:55 PM
State Street Underpass Interactive Light Art Installation

The new high tech business invasion in SB Downtown is a real boost. Plus their salaries and experience in Silicon Valley means everything is not affordable housing. They are bringing the skill sets to find living here quite comfortable. I suspect they will become very protective about small town Santa Barbara and be the next No Growth wave to take over city council, like the Shelia Lodge group did back in the1970's. Learn to code is a good investment in the new SB economy; it is not an insult.