By an edhat reader

Can anyone explain why Cox often does not have CNN or MSNBC available, but always has Fox News?

a-1566351022 Apr 23, 2019 04:33 AM
Cox Cable Channels

The only thing I can explain is that we are old now. We remember when there was ABC, CBS, and NBC, all free. And every night between 6:00 and 10:00 p.m., there were decent things to watch on all three channels. Having said that, haven’t had cable for over 40 years.....

LCP112233 Apr 22, 2019 11:08 AM
Cox Cable Channels

Sorry, I can't explain it. But it's no great loss.

ParvoPup Apr 21, 2019 06:07 PM
Cox Cable Channels

CNN is owned by AT&T Directv and MSNBC is owned by Comcast cable. Both are competitors with Cox. Possible there are some carrier rights negotiations going on where one party or the other shuts off a channel to move the talks along.

EastBeach Apr 21, 2019 03:01 PM
Cox Cable Channels

And here are the Cox channel lineups for Santa Barbara (lineups vary by region) ........... March 2013, Dec 2017, and the present ................. https://www.cox.com/wcm/en/residential/datasheet/santabarbara/cl_santabarbara.pdf .......... https://www.cox.com/content/dam/cox/residential/documents/tv/channel-lineup/california/cl_santabarbara.pdf ........... https://www.cox.com/residential/tv/channel-lineup.html

EastBeach Apr 21, 2019 02:58 PM
Cox Cable Channels

OP (Part 2) - I used to have TV Starter with a mini-box and definitely recall when MSNBC was dropped and Fox News was added. This was sometime before Dec 2017 and after deployment of the mini-boxes. Shortly after that I cut the cord. Next, according to Cox's channel lineup dated 12/2017 neither MSNBC or Fox News were in the TV Starter lineup but both were in the Contour TV lineups (at that time they had two tiers of Contour, Contour TV and Contour Flex). CNN was in both the TV Starter and Contour TV services. Fast forward to today .... the situation remains the same although Contour Flex no longer exists having been deprecated for Contour TV Ultimate.

EastBeach Apr 21, 2019 02:40 PM
Cox Cable Channels

OP (Part 1) - I did some research for you. This is going to be long ..... First, it's important to realize that Cox has two kinds of "TV" products. TV Starter is a TELEVISION service and Contour TV is a STREAMING service. Cable TV infrastructure can carry both TV and streaming signals. Today, both services require some kind of box between your coax cable and your TV but they perform different functions specific to the service type. If you've got TV Starter, then what you can see depends not only on TV Starter's lineup but ALSO on what kind of box you have - the cheapest to rent is a "mini box" but that provides the fewest TV Starter channels. The "Advanced TV Receiver" box costs more to rent but provides more TV Starter channels. Contour TV customers rent a "Contour Receiver" (I don't know if TV Starter customers can use a Contour Receiver). The point is ......... when comparing what people can see via Cox, it's necessary to specify which service (TV Starter or Contour TV) and which box (mini-box, Advanced TV Receiver, or Contour Receiver). Otherwise it's Apples to Oranges. On two part II .......

Flicka Apr 21, 2019 11:55 AM
Cox Cable Channels

We have Cox and I got the mentioned channels this morning while channel surfing, never had a problem. However, I don't actually watch them because I'm taking a sabbatical from all the crazy National news. HLN usually has interesting news without getting into politics. We also like KEY-T for local news although don't watch it every day. Edhat and Roger keep us pretty well informed.

jak Apr 21, 2019 11:04 AM
Cox Cable Channels

Cable companies pay for most of the channels that they carry. Some of the content providers like to use brinkmanship as a negotiating tactic to wring more money out of companies like cox and sometimes they end up going past the brink. Or perhaps a bird built a nest in the satellite dish that cox takes certain channels from. Of course if you really care, you could call cox. And if you really care you probably take tv news way too seriously.

a-1566351022 Apr 21, 2019 07:09 AM
Cox Cable Channels

What are you talking about I've had Cox now for over 6 years and have never had a problem not getting CNN or MSNBC or any news channel for that matter - and I have the lowest level basic package you can get. Maybe someone in your home removed them from your lineup? I removed CNN from my lineup manually through my remote (it's a rag anyway) - might want to check that maybe someone is saving you from them.

EastBeach Apr 20, 2019 03:24 PM
Cox Cable Channels

Cutting the cord will only provide *TEMPORARY* relief. Why do you think all the communications companies (i.e. CATV providers, Internet providers, Mobile carriers) are working behind the scenes to tear down net neutrality? They now have a golden opportunity with former Verizon lawyer Ajit Pai sitting as FCC chairman, a Republican majority of FCC commissioners, plus support from Trump. After the Republican FCC has their way, I won't be surprised if we'll be paying extra ISP charges to watch Netflix, Sony Vue, Sling, Hulu, or whomever they choose (the upcharge could be mandatory, or perhaps they'll offer you a discount for the low bandwidth and higher-compression/lower-quality option). Too bad .... average Americans won't realize until it's too late and their ISP bills really ramp up.

a-1566351022 Apr 21, 2019 09:15 AM
Cox Cable Channels

The latest legislative effort comes amid a legal showdown over the repeal. A collection of tech companies, advocacy groups and nearly two dozen states sued the FCC last year to challenge the repeal. Oral arguments in the case, Mozilla versus the FCC, were heard in February. A number of states, including California, Washington and Vermont, pushed forward with their own net neutrality rules, despite the FCC asserting authority to prevent states from pursuing laws inconsistent with the net neutrality repeal. Some agreed not to enforce the laws pending the outcome of the Mozilla case.

EastBeach Apr 20, 2019 03:01 PM
Cox Cable Channels

CRAM - Same thing happened with my legacy/basic Cox TV package (before I cut the cord). Indeed, CATV providers like COX have seen increasing content costs and falling subscriber numbers for the last 7 years or so. Some background .............. https://deadline.com/2012/01/cox-scraps-espn-and-other-pricey-channels-for-new-low-cost-tier-219204/ ............... https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/01/cox-rolls-out-35-tv-economy-cable-package/index.htm ................. https://www.consumerreports.org/tv-service/cable-tv-fees/

a-1566351022 Apr 20, 2019 02:24 PM
Cox Cable Channels

Cox usually includes CNN but the others always have to do with your cable package aka Money! They change the channels and packages all the time. You have to read the all the fine print on your bill to see it hidden in there somewhere. Cox definitely is very very sneaky on raises prices and changing their packages. I feel like I call every month with a new issue. I can say I am shopping new cable TV offers daily now too. Anyone have any suggestions?

Bird Apr 21, 2019 06:02 PM
Cox Cable Channels

Sling TV and probably HULU does not carry PBS, the best channel in the bunch, imo; nor do they have the city and county channels, all making subscribing to Cox tolerable. And, yes, they dropped MSNB about 6 or more months ago.

Bird Apr 21, 2019 06:02 PM

a-1566351022 Apr 20, 2019 02:42 PM
Cox Cable Channels

Yes, get rid of cable and go with internet only, then use Hulu Live TV or other streaming app like Sling TV. Cable is $$$$ down the drain for no reason.

CRAM Apr 20, 2019 01:57 PM
Cox Cable Channels

I think I know what you are talking about. Do you have a low cost level of TV channels? For example the "Starter" TV Line up that cost $25.00 per month. If you do then I think the answer would be that Fox news [Channel 25] is sold to Cox for very little money. When I first got Cox Stater line up it did not have Fox news. Without much notice it they added it. When I first stated with Cox Starter the line up included MSNBC. Without much notice it disappeared from my line up. I have always had CNN [Channel 22] and still do. So my answer to your question would be cost. BTW - I am talking about the "cable" version of Fox news. The Broadcast Fox news is on Channel 11 and I've had that from the beginning.

915films Apr 20, 2019 01:42 PM
Cox Cable Channels

Not a Cox fan, but we've never seen this problem.

LocalMatt Apr 20, 2019 01:20 PM
Cox Cable Channels

I've never seen this problem