Avocado Recall in California Over Listeria title=

By edhat staff

California grown whole avocados by the Henry Avocado Corporation sold in bulk to retail stores are being recalled due to potential contamination with listeria.

"Henry Avocado is issuing this voluntary recall out of an abundance of caution due to positive test results on environmental samples taken during a routine government inspection at its California packing facility," according to the company's statement.  There are no reported illnesses associated with this recall.

The recalled products include California-grown conventional and organic avocados and were packed at Henry Avocado’s packing facility in California where they began packing in January 2019. They were then distributed to Arizona, California, Florida, New Hampshire, North Carolin, and Wisconsin. All shipments from the packing facility are subject to the recall.  Avocados imported from Mexico and distributed by Henry Avocado are not subject to the recall and may continue to be sold and consumed.

“We are voluntarily recalling our products and taking every action possible to ensure the safety of consumers who eat our avocados,” says Phil Henry, President of Henry Avocado.

Listeria monocytogenes is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.

Henry Avocado is contacting all affected customers to confirm the recalled products are immediately removed from store shelves.  For conventional products purchased at retail, consumers can identify the recalled products by the “Bravocado” stickers. Henry Avocado organic products do not carry the “Bravocado” label on the sticker.  Instead, those products are labeled “organic” and include “California” on the sticker.  Retailers can identify Henry Avocado organic products by the bar code on the stickers.

Henry Avocado Corporation is fully cooperating with federal and California health officials to facilitate an efficient and complete recall of these avocados.

Consumers who have purchased any recalled avocados are urged not to consume them, but to discard them or return them to the place of purchase for a full refund.  Consumers with further questions may contact Henry Avocado at (760) 745-6632, Ext 132 or visit www.henryavocado.com/media

SBZZ Mar 26, 2019 10:13 PM
Avocado Recall in California Over Listeria

I try to buy only organic produce, but I still wash all of it before I eat it - including avos. I do not care if it was grown in the Garden of Eden - who knows what might land on it between there and my house.

Mtn.driver Mar 26, 2019 07:28 AM
Avocado Recall in California Over Listeria

I agree 10:48PM, the info. on the organic avocados is confusing and incomplete. I assume that somewhere, the range of bar codes of the affected organic avocados is listed. I looked around and couldn't find it, so I just resolved to only buy farmer's market, organic avocados, which is pretty close to what I do anyway. (of course, once the listeria hysteria is old news, realistically, I will buy the occasional grocery store avocado again)

LadyLove3816 Mar 25, 2019 11:29 PM
Avocado Recall in California Over Listeria

Okay, maybe it’s just me, but, it says that the recalled product had begun packing in California for distribution in January...When I buy an avocado from the grocery store (which is usually either hard as a rock, or has to be eaten ASAP ) however, even when I do get the chance to get the ideal avocados, they still don’t last more than a week (really stretching that)... how are they recalling avocados that are 3+ months old?? Maybe I just don’t understand enough about the cultivation and preservation and transportation of foods, specifically Avocados. If anyone has any knowledge on this, I would love to know. I’m not trying to be rude or sound ignorant or disrespectful, I truly don’t understand. Sorry. Thank you. P.s. I agree with @ A-1553580580 kinda silly about the stickers, but maybe I’m just confused about all of it..

EastBeach Mar 26, 2019 12:38 AM
Avocado Recall in California Over Listeria

Also, I've never had a bad avocado from Sprouts. That said, I always get the ones with the sticker "Avocados from Mexico" (that's a brand name, not a statement of fact). You may have seen their commercial during the Super Bowl. Avocados from Mexico uses the organically-derived food coating developed by Santa barbara's Apeel Sciences. I know someone who works at Apeel - they have a fascinating food technology that increases the shelf life of perishable produce and effectively helps increase the world's food supply. Read more here .......... https://www.wired.com/story/apeel/ .............. https://apeelsciences.com/

EastBeach Mar 26, 2019 12:30 AM
Avocado Recall in California Over Listeria

Read the press release from Henry Avocado (link in Edhat's post) and you'll see the "3 months" refers not to the age of the avocados but rather how long Henry has been packing at that facility. Not sure why they felt they needed to state that.

a-1555764137 Mar 25, 2019 10:53 PM
Avocado Recall in California Over Listeria

This evening I cut into three ripe organic jumbo Hass avocados (3/$5.00) that I got from Sprouts. They are three of the lousiest tasting avocados I have had in years. Just like water. Ruined my dinner, since I was hoping to use them as salad ingredients and also guacamole. I didn't bother reading the stickers, I am going to get my money refunded. Bad fruit is revolting.

a-1555764137 Mar 25, 2019 10:48 PM
Avocado Recall in California Over Listeria

Someone please explain this paragraph to me. It makes zero sense: "Henry Avocado is contacting all affected customers to confirm the recalled products are immediately removed from store shelves. For conventional products purchased at retail, consumers can identify the recalled products by the “Bravocado” stickers. Henry Avocado organic products do not carry the “Bravocado” label on the sticker. Instead, those products are labeled “organic” and include “California” on the sticker. Retailers can identify Henry Avocado organic products by the bar code on the stickers."

dannyc Mar 26, 2019 08:25 AM
Avocado Recall in California Over Listeria

1. Henry avocado contacted the stores that bought their fruit they packed to make sure they are aware of the recall and to make sure they removed any potentially affected fruit from shelves. 2. Conventional fruit is sold under a brand name "Bravocado" which sport a sticker to differentiate themselves (as well as track sales.) 3. Organic fruit does not have a brand name so it is sold only as "organic" fruit. A barcode listed on the sticker identifies that fruit as grown organic but also helps with trace back information so they know where the fruit came from.

Flicka Mar 25, 2019 04:00 PM
Avocado Recall in California Over Listeria

Good heavens, I thought Avocados were one food we could count on to be clean. How does it get this stuff? Something sprayed on them? Why would organic ones be affected? I hadn't heard about washing Avos but know watermelon and cantaloupe should be cut before cutting into. What are they doing to our food these days?

Z Mar 26, 2019 07:41 AM
Avocado Recall in California Over Listeria

Transmission of listeria on avocados would likely be through contaminated wash water. Contact with contaminated containers of workers is also possible. It has nothing to do with being an organic avo (the bacteria is organic too).