Scooters Gone from Isla Vista? title=

By John M, old codger from Isla Vista

I have noticed the number of scooters getting lower and lower in Isla Vista. Recently I saw only one dead Lime leaning against a garbage can in an alley on my walk. It looks as though my adventuring days are over, sigh. At age 80 I wanted to fly along the streets of Isla Vista like/on a Bird. So after three tries, I managed to take off and hurtle down an alley.

I had read the instructions carefully and started reaching for the brake handle to slow down. BUT THERE WAS NO BRAKE HANDLE. So I decided that rather than hitting a wall at 15 mph, I would bail out, so deliberately fell off the scooter.

Later I realized the scooter I had chose had a brake BUTTON, not a handle. Of course, I skinned my knee but now it's healed. My kids have told me I am not allowed to ride a scooter again . I have been tempted but now the temptation has been removed. Where did all the scooters go?

I hope there is scooter heaven somewhere for them to go to. But freedom is back. We can walk the sidewalks again without pushing against the scooter debris. But I am feeling sad. The opportunity for me to hurtle down an alley and skin my knee again is GONE.

RHS Feb 23, 2019 08:50 AM
Scooters Gone from Isla Vista?

These scooter companies need to be discouraged from their rapacious ways. Best way is to confiscate and recycle all scooters left in public places until and when these companies play be the rules and get permits with are necessary conditions. People who take advantage of such behaviors are abettors of them and their criminal schemes.

a-1553575418 Feb 22, 2019 07:11 PM
Scooters Gone from Isla Vista?

John Heywood, in 1546, was credited with penning: "But there is no foole to the olde foole, folke saie." If my octogenarian parent told me s/he'd had tried out one of those scooters, I would take that parent by the ear, put him/her to bed with no supper and then allot several different kinds of unsavory chores per day for two months. A curfew would be in place for the two months and no dessert for a month. When an oldie falls and breaks a hip or collar bone or shoulder or wrist or ankle (you get the idea), it's the relatives and caregivers that have to suffer all the extra care, including transportation and food service. OP: try skydiving or hang-gliding instead. At least then if there's a "surprise" result, maybe your friends and relatives can have the satisfaction of throwing you a nice memorial: "He died doing what he loved."

Factotum Feb 22, 2019 05:54 PM
Scooters Gone from Isla Vista?

These scooter companies raised a lot of start up cash (OPM) and apparently ran through it very quickly like water. No wonder they could afford to inundate unwelcoming localities with their free scooters. Fun times. As long as they got their own salaries and expenses paid and had no one else to answer to - good lesson about socialism. OPM ran out.

Potif Feb 22, 2019 02:21 PM
Scooters Gone from Isla Vista?

John... I am glad that you are now walking steadily with your walking stick along the beaches. And, I’m also glad that you had your ‘adventure’ without more damage. Thanks again for the story, and the photo to go with it! ;)

Flicka Feb 22, 2019 01:16 PM
Scooters Gone from Isla Vista?

Why would anyone think stealing anything is an acceptable way to behave? Imagine someone coming to your place and stealing whatever they felt they wanted/needed.

Bug Girl Feb 22, 2019 11:10 AM
Scooters Gone from Isla Vista?

I know some people found these to be a nuisance and an eye sore, but I'm happy that you were able to use them and had a little fun! I'm sorry that you hurt your knee, but I'm glad you're mended and back on your feet. Everyone needs a little adventure, no matter what your age. Be well, and thank you for your story. :)

RHS Feb 23, 2019 09:36 AM
Scooters Gone from Isla Vista?

Gee--wouldn't it be nice if everyone could just grab a car and drive it without any responsibility? How silly. We need accountability for behavior, especially one founded solely on the profit motive.

pstarSR Feb 22, 2019 10:26 AM
Scooters Gone from Isla Vista?

Odd because there are quite a few adds on glassdoor for LIME/ other rideshare scooter companies looking to manage and facilitate the IV scooters.

monkeyboy Feb 22, 2019 09:34 AM
Scooters Gone from Isla Vista?

The scooters are all likely piled up in a few IV apartments. The business model for rechargers encourages hoarding them until they are nearly dead as you get much more money the longer they remain uncharged. They are also pretty easy to hack so many have probably become personal transportation devices. I'm on the lookout for an abandoned one so I can use the batteries in my ebike project.

Nature Boy Feb 23, 2019 10:37 PM
Scooters Gone from Isla Vista?

Pretty sure that if a scooter gets stolen after a paid user finishes their ride, that user will NOT be charged hundreds of dollars for the cost of the scooter. That would be ridiculous and would also be a business model that would make NO ONE use their product.

monkeyboy Feb 22, 2019 07:28 PM
Scooters Gone from Isla Vista?

Not screwing anyone. These companies dump this garbage on streets with no announcement and no business license. It's no different than your neighbor throwing an old mattress or TV on the street corner.

a-1553575418 Feb 22, 2019 11:18 AM
Scooters Gone from Isla Vista?

Thanks for the explanation, but your plan to STEAL is lame. When someone steals one of these and the scooter company realizes their scooter is "off the network", the last person to rent it (who didn't lock it up) is charged for the price of a new scooter. So while you might think you are stealing from a faceless corporate entity, you are actually screwing a single real person over. Reconsider your plan, it is NOT that expensive to buy your own e-bike batteries.