By an edhat reader

I bought a sandwich at South Coast Deli. As I was waiting I saw a dog partially standing on a table. I was floored that the owner allowed this considering that someone else would sit there soon, but I also noticed that the staff did nothing. Is this now allowed by the Health Department? It seems strange, but with the radical changes in Santa Barbara I'd say anything is possible now.

winter Feb 18, 2019 08:05 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

You all need a dog or anger management..

tinker1 Feb 18, 2019 07:45 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

Got my haircut the other day at a salon. A young girl comes in for an appointment no explanation has her dog. My hairdresser the owner says if the licensing board decided to come by she would be cited. Entitled to bring your dog anywhere ? NO

a-1558757218 Feb 18, 2019 07:43 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

Please tell me WHY someone needs to ever take a dog to a restaurant with them, even if sitting outside? Why? There is simply no reason for that. If you want to go eat, go eat, why do you have to have your dog? Should I start taking my cat with me too? It's ridiculous and in many situations not fair to the dog.

winter Feb 18, 2019 06:16 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

I can't believe all these hateful comments.. Take my dog, about once a week to the outside seating area of local eateries. A friend, watches my dog when I go in to order... Most dog owners, do the same thing..They usually have separate entrances..

Potif Feb 18, 2019 07:12 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

The problem is that it isn't ALL dog owners that do the same as you do. The few that don't are in the wrong, and cause problems for others, like yourself. I like most (well behaved) dogs, but wouldn't want to see any part of one on a table in a restaurant inside or outside. It is a health issue, and a problem for those who are allergic to them.

a-1558757218 Feb 18, 2019 05:39 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

Any Dogs in restaurants - NO! Service Dogs that are licensed & certified trained - OUTSIDE ONLY This entire "comfort/service" dog thing is beyond out of control especially on planes! The last four flight we've taken the past two years have all had at least two dogs on board. Seriously! Put it in a dog crate & let it go in the under cabin storage section for pets. It won't freeze to death, etc. Don't like that? Either leave the dog at home OR don't travel. Easy-peasy

shorebird Feb 18, 2019 04:48 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

Some people who claim that they have an emotional support animal are actually the emotional support animal of their dog.

420722 Feb 18, 2019 03:42 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

Real Service dogs are well trained, sit on the floor and are never fed from the plate. They don’t beg, bark or try to get up on the chairs and table tops. OP that was definitely NOT allowed but like someone else mentioned it shouldn’t be up to the employees to enforce this violation it should be up to the owner or the manager. It’s too bad people have taken their affection for animals so far. Not everyone likes them. I don’t mind them but don’t want to eat dinner with them or on a table they were just sitting on.

a-1558757218 Feb 18, 2019 03:32 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

These disgusting slob dog owners are getting tiring - they even let their dogs crap on our private strip of property and don't pick it up. The worst is going to a store where there is clothing, etc. and seeing some entitled jerk with their dog - getting dog hair all over the clothing and merchandise, which is totally insensitive to those with dander allergies especially as dander/fur sticks to clothing. I shouldn't have to deal with dog hair in a restaurant or any clothing/store for that matter and something needs to change, fast.

Z Feb 18, 2019 03:15 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

I've just about given up looking, still can't find dog on a Santa Barbara restaurant menu.

a-1558757218 Feb 18, 2019 02:12 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

I was in a restaurant patio area, and the woman put her medium sized dog on the table, bottom down, and she fed the dog from her fork. It's unfair to ask wait staff, who are making minimum wage, and hoping for tips, to tell these rude people to stop. Managers should be tasked with this growing problem. Health, folks! Health! I don't go back to restaurants where dogs are allowed inside. Why? Because I'm afraid the dog owners are mentally impaired.

horsegirl Feb 18, 2019 01:40 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

Who knows, they might have said something before you got there. If the woman said her dog is a service dog, they might have just kept quiet from there (even though they’d be within their rights to tell her to leave/get her dog off the table) because they didn’t want to cause a scene or have to deal with any issues the woman might raise, given that the law is very strict on what can/can’t be said and it’s easy for a situation to turn into a he said, she said mess. It’s impossible to know the entire story unless you are that woman or an employee of the sandwich shop. Personally I would have just asked the employees about the situation in the moment

horsegirl Feb 19, 2019 11:08 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

I think were in agreement here... im just saying that often times restaurant employees are hesitant to raise a stink about a person who claims their dog is a service dog, even if it is acting poorly, given that there is a lot of misunderstanding about what the laws say they can and can't do about a service dog in their establishment. The law really seems to favor the service dog owner, and even if the employees are within their rights to say something, the person can easily go onto social media or review websites and publish their "side" of the story which can spell bad news for the business, even if they're in the right.

a-1558757218 Feb 19, 2019 12:05 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

The dog owner created a scene by having the dog in a place that she shouldn't have had it, along with the dog not just sitting or laying down as a service dog is trained to do. And, I suspect that there may be people who don't, or won't return to the shop because of it being allowed.

horsegirl Feb 19, 2019 10:52 AM
Dogs in Restaurants?

I am well aware that a real service dog should/would be on the floor. I am also well aware of the difference between support and service dogs. I’m merely saying that it’s entirely possible that staff did say something to her about the dog before op got there and she might have gotten snarky so they chose to just wait for her to leave rather than have her create a scene.

Abc109 Feb 18, 2019 03:34 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

PSA - Service Dogs are NOT the same as "Support Animals." Restaurants, retails stores, etc. are NOT legally required to allow "support animals" inside their premises. Service Dogs are trained for a specific task, i.e. helping to guide their owner, etc. "Support animals" are not trained for a specific task. As the owner of a business, you are legally allowed to ask if an animal is specifically trained. If the answer is No, you do not need to allow them in. Period. The real shame is that there are those with bona-fide needs for a Support Animal. The co-dependents and narcissists among us, however, have ruined that.

a-1558757218 Feb 18, 2019 02:10 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

A service dog should be sitting or laying on the floor. Not with it's paws, or anything else on the table.

a-1558757218 Feb 18, 2019 12:53 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

I'm not saying this about all dog owners in Santa Barbara - but there are a lot of entitled dog owners in Santa Barbara.

a-1558757218 Feb 18, 2019 12:27 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

A finger-wagging narc shared with the health department artfully disguised as an innocent inquiry. Ohhh-Kay. I'll bite. If a dog's paws are the worst thing that rests upon a restaurant table, we should all be thankful. OP please research the amount of fecal matter found on cell phones. Look up which germs/bacteria found on the floors of restaurants are transferred to tabletops when a woman's handbag or or some shopping bag resting on the floor is then moved onto the tabletop. Please ponder the infinite amount of microbes contained in those damp used-over-and-over cloths the busboys/wait persons drag across the tops of the tables in between seatings of restaurant patrons. ("Sanitized?") If taking into account outdoor tables, please consider how many times you've seen some ignoramous 1/2-seated or fully seated on a tabletop. Dogs' paws don't give me pause so much as does human-shared "dirt."

therealbebe Feb 18, 2019 01:38 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

I don't think the OP is a "finger-wagging narc". Seems like a genuine concern and I'd be annoyed, too. No doubt there are some seriously co-dependent dog owners out there. I just think the issue is better taken up directly with the restaurant owners, who can actually do something about it. Also, there are people with severe dog allergies who don't expect dog hair on their dining tables.

mattyboy Feb 18, 2019 01:04 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

Triggered. Another dog owner that thinks we should all be subjected to their wonderful pet and its bodily fluids.

mattyboy Feb 18, 2019 12:13 PM
Dogs in Restaurants?

This town is full of a-hole dog owners - taking their dogs into food-related businesses & letting them crap all over parks and park strips. Yeah, ask me how I really real...

a-1558757218 Feb 18, 2019 11:01 AM
Dogs in Restaurants?

OP HERE:. The dog was INSIDE the Restaurant. That should be clear from the photo I sent, which wasn't used. I didn't write anything about a patio.

therealbebe Feb 18, 2019 11:06 AM
Dogs in Restaurants?

"That should be clear from the photo I sent, which wasn't used." Really? Anyway, how about talking to the management of South Coast Deli, rather than putting them on public blast? That's called stirring the pot.

SoapBox Feb 18, 2019 10:59 AM
Dogs in Restaurants?

Dogs are allowed at outdoor dining areas in SB, since 2011, at the discretion of the establishment. And subject to criteria outlined by the Health Department. 1 – All surfaces on the patio will be cleaned and sanitized (114115.b, 114117(a)(5)) 2 – Table tops will be sanitized between each seating of patrons (114083) 3 – Dogs will not have contact with dishes, utensils, tableware, linens or paper products used by patrons (114074) 4 – Food and water served to dogs will be in single-use, disposable containers (114081) 5 – Food spilled on patio will be immediately cleaned up (114257) 6 – Restaurant employees will not touch or pet dogs while working. If they do, they will wash their hands. Restaurant employees will be trained on this requirement for hand washing.114259.4 7 – Food facilities not meeting the conditions for safe patio food service with animals on the premises, will be cited for violations of the Health and Safety Code. (114259.5, 114397, 113980) https://countyofsb.org/uploadedFiles/phd/PROGRAMS/Environmental_Health/Food_Program/DogPolicyOutdoorDining.pdf

a-1558757218 Feb 18, 2019 11:42 AM
Dogs in Restaurants?

With the right dog, these canine-friendly restaurants could save money on utilities and wages. My dog, for example, would keep the floors clean and even pre-wash the dishes. She's always eager to assist where food is involved. Which is why I leave her at home. :-)

Pages