By an edhat reader

My lawyer neighbor has had some pretty loud drunken parties (rental unit) which involve singing, cursing, arguing, drinking, cigarettes (our building is non smoking), and pot.  Last time I got woken up at 3am and when I called the non-emergency police line they told me the noise complaint law only applies to amplified music.  So officers would only come if I was willing to make a citizens arrest.  I wanted sleep not to enter into legal entanglements with a lawyer neighbor.  Did laws change?  Just last year they came out no problem.  Our building manager is not on site nor local.  I think the party wound down at 4am on a weeknight.

PitMix Feb 19, 2019 10:38 AM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

I would also be hesitant about taking on a lawyer neighbor- it is possible to misuse the legal system to harass people endlessly. Also hard to say just move in a town with almost no vacancies. Your manager should connect you to the actual owners to see if they want to do something- stress the liability issue.

LDK57 Feb 17, 2019 01:42 PM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

I believe you can find who the owner of a property in Santa Barbara is, through the County Assessor's Office. Get their phone number and give THEM a call when you are being disturbed by their tenants.

beachsong Feb 17, 2019 12:51 PM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

Landlord here. There are newer noise standards written after bad experiences with AirBNB. If the police have been to the same property 3 times for a noise complaint and a warning given, a ticket can be written. I think the standard was if the police could hear the noise 50 feet from the house. I had a renter receive a $350 noise complaint ticket. The next ticket would have cost him more and cost me $350. He had to be given notice to move.

a-1553547334 Feb 17, 2019 08:26 AM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

If I was you I would talk to other people who live in the vicinity and put together a letter describing the behavior and have everyone sign it, or print several and have everyone sign their own, then provide to the property manager. Loud parties usually result in damage to the inside of the property too so bringing it to their attention will be good. Signed letters give them authority to give notice asap.

Luvaduck Feb 17, 2019 06:59 AM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

If you live in the county not the city, you have no recourse. I had a disfunctional family across the street from me who had a series of dobermans and other attack dogs that would occasionally knock down part of their wooden fence or take out the front door glass to get out and barked incessantly. Animal control had a two-inch thick file of complaints. I sometimes was so desperate for sleep, I slept in an interior bathroom since the people behind me also had a series of barking dogs.

a-1553547334 Feb 18, 2019 01:48 AM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

Having worked at county animal control, I find this very hard to believe. Though yes, two complainants are required.

a-1553547334 Feb 17, 2019 07:40 AM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

County and city residents do have recourse as there are regulations. You just have to call in and get it documented. One of our neighbors put in an ADU and his teenage son immediately moved in. Same issues as another comment. Teenage parties, etc. Both city and county ADU policies are not enforced re who gets to live in an ADU. And what about the construction workers who bring their radios and blast them during their work hours. And construction workers who take up every parking space on your street. Again, make the calls and get the infractions on record.

a-1553547334 Feb 16, 2019 11:41 PM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

Must be an unemployed lawyer to be able to party and drink until 3 am on a weeknight. I'm sorry to hear this and it seems unbelievable that the cops said they can't do anything surely if someone is having a loud party that late they should be able to. Is this lawyer connected with the DA's office in any way? Could that be why the cops are going easy? Maybe start a petition w/ other neighbors or try talking to him/her about it in person and if all else fails, just start banging on their door at 3 am every time and ask them to turn it down.

a-1553547334 Feb 17, 2019 09:09 AM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

People can actually function on coke and professionals are know to use it to keep themselves alert and awake - especially wall streeters, lawyers and doctors. Drinking on the other hand, not so much. Hangovers, slowed mental function, loss of sleep. So yeah, he/she must be unemployed if they are drinking until 3 am on weeknights seemingly regularly.

a-1553547334 Feb 17, 2019 09:09 AM

a-1553547334 Feb 17, 2019 09:10 AM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

TINKER the post addresses drunken (alcohol fueled) parties not coke - big difference in effects.

a-1553547334 Feb 16, 2019 09:02 PM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

Many years ago my neighbors were using their backyard shed as a rental. In between renting it out, the neighbors' teenage kids were allowed to sleep and party in the shed. This shed was located approximately 15' from my bedroom window. On one particularly lively occasion, I called the police at 2:00 am to complain about loud music and such. The one responding officer actually stood in my driveway, mentally shuffling his feet, and said to me, "Well . . . It's his birthday." Hahahaha. You can bet I filed that one away for future use. (Note to self and others: Always take down names and badge #s.) Eventually, and not without some effort on my part, I got that shed razed to the ground. Bad neighbors are the scum of the Earth and need to be dealt with accordingly.

sbsweetpea Feb 16, 2019 08:27 PM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

Good luck getting any satisfaction. My neighborhood has been under construction for 10 months due to a neighbor building an ADU. Those guys were over there even working on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. No peace those days, amazingly enough it was quiet on Super Bowl Sunday. Plus now we have a new dog that barks 20 hours a day. I called the police non-emergency # and was told this kind of thing is not in their purview. I am not wanking on the police dept. I know they are busy, we just need more animal control officers that have some authority and the city needs to find a way to penalize construction projects that run way over time and "disturbing the peace" on holidays, The city needs to address barking dogs, and enforce the noise ordinance.

a-1553547334 Feb 16, 2019 11:29 PM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

If you're within Santa Barbara City limits, get another neighbor to call in about the barking dog on the same day as your own call to Animal Control. Two neighbors constitutes "a neighborhood" and Animal Control will find out what's going on with this poor sad lonely dog and make the owners take care of the problem. If the dog continues to be left alone, barking out its misery, don't let up with AC. That neglected dog is suffering and you and your other neighbors don't need to suffer along with it.

a-1553547334 Feb 16, 2019 05:06 PM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

My first thought was that I wish my neighbors were full of life and would stir up a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g other than being glued to the tv while wasting their remaininf years. I assume they are watchin tv because i can hear QVC sell the latest air fryer, or Huell Houser buggin' the cr&p outta some poor schlub, ...lots of KCAL, and of course Al Extreeeeemooooo....

a-1553547334 Feb 16, 2019 04:42 PM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

Document incidents, document calls to police. Put in letter to owner. Go to Small Claims Court.

sbmh2015 Feb 16, 2019 03:35 PM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

Report as disturbing the peace. That is what I was told by the police. Can be anytime of the day. Dispatch should have sent someone out.

sbmh2015 Feb 16, 2019 06:33 PM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

I actually went into the police station to find out best course of action. Noise from a business is handled different from noise from a household. The dispatch should have definitely sent someone out. I recommend going into the police station and speaking to someone. They were very helpful. They will also give you your neighborhood beat commander contact information. They are responsive too. I'm sure you aren't the only neighbor having problems with these folks. Good luck

a-1553547334 Feb 16, 2019 04:41 PM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

OP here. Thank you! That is what I thought that it could be any time of the day. I like a whole 2 blocks from the police station. So it was my mistake to say "noise complaint".

a-1553547334 Feb 16, 2019 03:34 PM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

Don't deal with a manager, find the owner and make a direct phone call to relay exactly what's been going on. I solved a similar problem (the mouths on some teenage girls, oh my) by talking with the owner of a property across the street from mine. She wasn't happy about it, but she evicted the partiers the next month. What's fun about my story is that this owner actually complained to me about how my other neighbor had contacted her previously, re: same problem. She said she thought he was just some whiny, exaggerating troublemaker. I said to her, "Whatever he told you is true and then some. I just this minute saw a couple these renters of yours walking around on top of your roof and carport." (Which was true.) Liabilty? That clinched it.

a-1553547334 Feb 16, 2019 04:44 PM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

OP here. I can't determine the owner. I think it is an investor group. No one knows who lives here. I didn't mention the pot because I'm certain they have medicinal use cards. If they were just smoking pot then they would have passed out by 3am. It is the alcohol that fueled the noise.

a-1553547334 Feb 16, 2019 02:24 PM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

Find out who owns those units. Contact owner. Tell him or her exactly what has been going on. You're not the only neighbor suffering from this jerk's inconsiderate party life behavior. So he's a lawyer? So what? He's gonna sue you for reporting him?

a-1553547334 Feb 16, 2019 02:21 PM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

OP: You are a far more patient person than I. When that dispatch "associate" told me the law only applies to amplified music, I would have asked for his/her name and then the name and direct contact number for 1) The Chief of Police and 2) The Mayor. That is utter bollocks re: law enforcement only responds to amplified music. You got shut down and disrespected big time.

a-1553547334 Feb 16, 2019 01:36 PM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

This could help for Solvang? https://lompocrecord.com/news/local/solvang-adopts-ordinances-on-noise-massages/article_843d8893-008a-5146-a3cc-f02121083650.html

a-1553547334 Feb 16, 2019 01:15 PM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

Not sure where you're located but there are different rules for SB, Goleta, and County. GOLETA: http://www.goletamonarchpress.com/2014/09/want-to-make-a-noise-complaint-heres-what-you-need-to-know/ .... COUNTY: https://library.municode.com/ca/santa_barbara_county/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=CH40NINORE .... CITY OF SB: https://www.santabarbaraca.gov/services/planning/mpe/nou.asp?utm_source=CommunityDevelopment&utm_medium=nou&utm_campaign=QuickLinks

a-1553547334 Feb 16, 2019 01:27 PM
What are the Noise Complaint Rules?

Here's the actual code for Goleta: https://qcode.us/codes/goleta/view.php?topic=9-9_09&showAll=1&frames=on