By Roger the Scanner Guy

I heard this Code: 415 (Disturbance) call the other day at Little Caesars on Milpas, it involved two homeless males. I did not catch the whole call but it was enough of a commotion for the manager to call and want contact maybe even file charges against the males, they were harassing customers. I used to go there a lot, I can't anymore because of my stomach but when I went there was usually a couple people sitting on the step in front of H&R Block panhandling. I never had any problem with them and neither did Little Caesars at the time as I mentioned them once wondering if Little Caesars had a problem with the panhandlers, they did not so these guys the other day must have really raised some hell for the store to want contact on the call or to consider filing a complaint. The males were no longer on the scene but were reported last seen walking South on Milpas, police caught up to them in the Milpas Underpass. I just happened to need a new hot plate so I took a walk, the police were talking with the subjects as I walked by both of them were laughing and joking with the police. The police were not laughing or joking with them, it seemed like both of these fine upstanding guys who everyone is paranoid of, thought the whole incident was funny. One of them was taken into custody that made me laugh. Not all Homeless Folks are trouble most are pretty mellow, but once in a while someone who likes to rock the boat and make waves shows up and those are the Troublemakers.

I know these other folks, a married couple, they told me a few years back almost 10 years ago now they were walking through the square there in the 700 Block of State street going to a movie. These people hit them up for money, they said "No" and both were beaten so bad they ended up in the hospital. The Husband almost lost his sight, the attackers got a slap on the wrist. Having seen and experienced some of it for myself the older you get the easier prey you are for Thugs. I believe alot of the stories of harassment I hear occurring around town. I believe in helping the Homeless but if there is no law and order within the community, and other citizens are expected to pick up the slack, forget it. There are Laws here and we are all expected to follow those Laws if some are unwilling to do that then they should expect what they have coming to them.  It doesn't include camping because the homeless have nowhere to go otherwise they would not be called "Homeless." Other things besides that we all have to follow the law or except the Consequences.

Scanner Reports, Wednesday:

• Highway 166 at Highway 33 Live wires down power poles down also on highway 166, 3 miles East of Highway 33.
  • Vandalism investigation 100 Block of West Anapamu.
  • 415 Transient near the covered area 209 State street Amtrak.
  • Illegal campers Santa Barbara at Montecito streets.
  • Subject with a felony warrant 400 Block of West Victoria.
  • 10851 Stolen vehicle recovery 5900 Block of Calle Real.
  • Cable wires down 1800 Block of Sunset.
  • 459 Burglary to a residence on Via Los Padres.
  • Suspicious circumstances 200 Block of West Alamar.
  • 242 Assault 600 Block of Wentworth near Ortega.
  • Med Call man down 700 Block of East Haley.
  • Med call unresponsive subject in the bathroom at the library possible overdose.
  • Bicyclist down 400 Block of East Yanonali.
  • Theft Investigation 300 Block of South Canada.
  • A transient issue at the Biltmore 1260 Channel Drive.
  • At the Salvation Army in the 4800 Block of Hollister a Mother says a male put his hand on her child in an in an inappropriate manner.
  • 415 Domestic 800 Block of North Sapsitudes.
  • Road Rage First Block of North Milpas in the Little Caesars, H&R Shopping center there.
  • 242, and possible 417 Assault and Brandishing victim was assaulted and pulled a knife on the suspect 1100 Block of Punta Gorda.
  • Suspicious subjects gathering items at REI reporting party thought they were going to steal.
  • Embezzlement investigation in the 400 Block of State street.
  • 273pc Child Abuse 1400 Block of San Pasqual.
  • Transient refusing to leave in the 500 Block of East Guiterrez.
  • Med Call on Bus 2 at MTD 1020 Chapala street.

Scanner Reports, Thursday:

• 415 Transient 200 Block of West Montecito.
  • 415 Subject in the 1100 Block of State street.
  • Subject with a flashlight near a vehicle 200 Block of Sherwood possibly prowling.
  • Suspicious circumstances 800 Block of Park Lane West reporting party heard someone saying "You're going to Die." It turned out to be someone speaking to an  electrician who was working during the morning rain.
  • Domestic violence 1000 Block of East Yanonali "No DIVERT it's raining the Domestic Intervention Violence Education Response Team Don't go out in the rain they don't like getting wet call back tomorrow when the Sun is out."
  • 800 Block of West Pedregosa suspicious circumstances.
  • Premises check the Church Warming Center 21 East Constance.
  • Possible burglary in the 1900 Block of Garden street to a home that was being fumigated.
  • Hotel California Fire Alarms no fire 100 Block of State street.
  • Check the Welfare of a transient passed out in McDonalds 3940 State street.
  • Burglary to a vehicle in the 300 Block of West Anapamu.
  • North County Pursuit with a black Honda Did not hear why but they were caught I was in the other room.
  • Fall victim Paseo Nuevo Upper level near the managers office.
  • Traffic Accident highway 101 North Bound near Pueblo.
  • Med Call MTD 1020 Chapala possible overdose.
  • 459 Burglary investigation 400 Block of North La Cumbre.
  • Med Call Subject down behind an address in the 3800 Block of State street.
  • Suspicious circumstances Far West Gun Shop in the 2000 Block of State street that place has been there along, long time.
  • 415 Transient in the 200 Block of Santa Barbara street BMA wearing dark clothing.

Boy some people think it's ok to harass others and break the law just because they are homeless. I see why residents are pissed off. I know most of the posts on one threat are troll posts but it's SNOT OK that people don't feel safe going downtown, seems like  people will use every excuse to justify some of the homeless acting out and breaking the law while there are REAL HOMELESS PEOPLE out there that need help and want it but are too afraid to ask because they too are victims of Transient Thugs just looking for a free ride.. Will that is all outta me for now Have a Lovely Weekend...Peter Belinda, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Tom Cat, Clancy, Tiger, Thomicina Midnight, Merlin, Maxwell, Lola, PoPo, Shadow, FREDDIE! Tiny, Andy, Fish Head One, and Two, Poncho, Jerry, Walter, Fred, Jonathan, C.J. Brad, Billy, Carl Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Diana, Jim, Rambo, Sherry, David Cox, Po, Marty, Cop John, Eddie, Bambi, Bengie, Ricky, Pat, Mavis, Lafayette, Ted, Willie, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Cory, Debbie, Ken, Bommy, Poppy, June, Muskie, Isabelle, Jerry, LUCY! STOBE THE HOBO, John Hancock, Mickey Mantle,Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Tom Petty, and Chris Willing we will see you on MONday-MONday.  Later, Roger

Flicka Feb 16, 2019 12:32 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

Wanting to help those who need it doesn't mean they are "Hypocrites" and should invite them into their homes. I am concerned (donate) with unwanted and/or abused dogs, cats, and horses but don't consider myself a "hypocrite" because I don't take them home with me. Having compassion isn't a bad thing to be made fun of or to assume you know where they live.

LocalMatt Feb 16, 2019 09:36 AM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

Everytime a Republican gets voted into office it becomes a disaster! Thanks Reagan, thanks Bush, thanks trump.

CoastWatch Feb 15, 2019 07:13 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

Every card -carrying ACLU supporter in Santa Barbara is a HYPOCRITE unless they invite the "homeless" into THEIR home... I hate Hypocrites, especially since most of them live above APS or in Montecito.

Roger Feb 16, 2019 08:07 AM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

I think he is right about some of those people I used to take people in all the time but there are many who talk the walk but won't walk it themselves. I have had some really bad experiences taking people in the best was Belinda but I knew her..

SantaBarbaraObserver Feb 16, 2019 07:33 AM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

Those of us who read your posts CoastWatch, certainly know that you have a lot of hate in you towards others. How about you funnel that hate and anger towards something, anything good? It will serve you and us well. "Card carrying..." that line tells me your age, your politics, your demographics and your intelligence... such a cliche!

a-1558616587 Feb 15, 2019 02:05 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

There was a man killed by homeless, brushy area of #154/State, I think about 7 years ago he was stabbed to death. I tried to Google it for date and details, but a whole bunch of other incidents came up. Anyone remember that?

a-1558616587 Feb 15, 2019 01:41 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

Remember the guy who was stabbed by a vagrant at the ALoha Steakhouse?

a-1558616587 Feb 15, 2019 07:18 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

In Santa Barbara? I don't remember this at all. Where is/was the Aloha Steakhouse?

a-1558616587 Feb 15, 2019 01:42 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

And murdered I should add, by the same vagrant.

a-1558616587 Feb 15, 2019 12:49 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

Sadly it's true that State Street has become downright gross and dangerous. Last time my elderly parents were here, my mom actually was worried and wouldn't sit on the benches by herself or anything - which is a change from years past when we did not have this problem to the level it is now. I opt to go elsewhere when family is visiting - they don't need to be exposed to the urine smell or the aggressiveness and scariness of some of these people when they are here to enjoy themselves and have a nice experience. We head either north to Solvang/ SY Valley or south. There is nothing that unique on State anymore (with very few exceptions) to warrant the unpleasantness of the experience, at least nothing you can't see or shop at elsewhere (or just order online from the merchant)

Factotum Feb 16, 2019 11:08 AM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

Solvang also does not have armies of vagrants. What are they doing right that we can't do in Santa Barbara.

Factotum Feb 16, 2019 11:07 AM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

La Arcada is private property. They retain control over those who enter this area. Same with Paseo Nuevo. If private property owners can effectively protect themselves from this blight, why can't public property owners obtain the same benefits--- like the taxpayers? Shocking how much real estate vagrants have taken over as their own in this town. One feels they can only take visitors safely to a single block area in our downtown? Something has gotten way out of proportion. Tax generating visitors can safely enjoy only one block of down town, while vagrants get a free pass on all the others, including the beaches, creeks, parks, sidewalks, streets and hillsides. Time for a radical change in priorities, starting now.

Ahchooo Feb 15, 2019 03:31 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

If you want to show SB to out of town visitors, go to La Arcada. The architecture and fountains are charming, there are places to eat, and two or three interesting, quality shops. It's within walking distance of the courthouse and a parking structure. I am in that area three times a week, mid-day, and there are rarely any undesirable people lurking about. You can pop into the library if you need a bathroom, and though you will probably see homeless-looking people there, they are generally well-behaved, and the bathrooms are always (in my experience) clean. You are also right by the art museum, and their nice gift shop.

a-1558616587 Feb 15, 2019 02:47 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

RHS clearly has never been to Solvang or Santa Ynez. Let's see what's on State Street - Marshall's Forever 21 Brighton MAC Cosmetics blah blah all big box corporate owned stores that are nationwide. Sure there's Salt and a few others but really, nothing like Solvang.

a-1558616587 Feb 15, 2019 02:23 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

RHS - How is that nonsense? How many locally owned, long standing businesses to we have on State St.? Now how many in Solvang? Kinda no brainer there.

d8vanilla Feb 15, 2019 11:44 AM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

You can thank President Reagan for closing all the State run mental institutions .....

Roger Feb 16, 2019 01:29 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

Yes they can sleep in public places as long as they are not blocking others from passing through and their own cars sure they can sleep in the OWN car on public streets but the police can still check them out especially if they are suspicious..

RHS Feb 16, 2019 01:13 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

Newsflash: People without alternative housing or shelter do have the Constitutional right to sleep in public places. People in Santa Barbara also have the legal right under the laws of the city to sleep in their cars on public streets. I know many would simply run them out of town or even put them in debtors' prison but thankfully those 'solutions' have passed into antiquity.

Roger Feb 16, 2019 09:07 AM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

Sad thing about Both Parties they are both full of POOP. Reagan kicked the mentally ill from the rolls in 1967 when he was Gov. of California, he did the same thing as president. I remembered the 1967 action because a relative of mine worked for him back then and quit over it...

a-1558616587 Feb 16, 2019 08:46 AM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

Wrong. Reagan was the President at the time, but it was the ACLU that ruled that the mentally ill could not be detained or institutionalized. It was determined that it is their right to be free. Hope all you libs are lovin it!

a-1558616587 Feb 15, 2019 02:49 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

RHS newsflash - you can't just sleep on public streets willy nilly wherever you want. There are rules and regulations about that. In fact, most cities and towns across America - at least ones that don't have the problems SB does now - don't even allow cars on the street/overnight parking from 2 am- 6 am. in many parts of towns. Know why? KNow why those towns are sought after places to live by hardworking folks who want a decent life?

Roger Feb 15, 2019 02:42 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

There are places that are legal to sleep at and places where people are not allowed to sleep at legally...Google is your friend.

Roger Feb 15, 2019 02:39 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

There are some places where people are now allowed to sleep on private property is one that is called trespassing and the call might go out as such. I hear many "Illegal Camper" calls go out each day others are campers who block the doorways of businesses and refuse to move, still others sleep in other peoples vehicles yes there is such a thing as an "Illegal Camper." buy a scanner listen to it yourself.

RHS Feb 15, 2019 02:17 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

There is nothing illegal about 'camper' that the police can legally confront if the 'camper' has no alternative place to sleep. Really crap that folks seem to think only of 'out of sight' rather than what is the social cause and injustice that increasingly puts people in these awful places.

a-1558616587 Feb 15, 2019 01:08 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

Will the police harass them enough to get them off my street?

Roger Feb 15, 2019 01:01 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

You can call the police anonymously and report them as a camper.

a-1558616587 Feb 15, 2019 11:56 AM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

If they aren't bothering anyone you could consider them added security . Just my silly opinion .

a-1558616587 Feb 15, 2019 11:49 AM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

Their is a homeless who has been parking overnight on the street in front of my house lately, what should I do? I can't tell who it is because there car window have dark tinting, but I know they are homeless because I hear them pull up late and don't hear the car door open and shut. They just park there all night and leave before I go to work. I don't like homeless because I don't know what their thinking or doing in there car, what can I do?

a-1558616587 Feb 15, 2019 11:44 AM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

In the time that has transpired since "No, my friend, no!" --the last words that were spoken by a murdered Santa Barbara homeless man--( https://www.noozhawk.com/article/ken_williams_a_city_of_ghosts_20140424 and https://articles.latimes.com/2006/mar/04/local/me-tramel4 and https://people.com/archive/a-teenage-game-of-war-and-revenge-ends-in-the-stabbing-death-of-an-innocent-drifter-vol-26-no-3/ ), what have area churches, agencies and residents been doing to keep the unhoused safe from being harrassed and murdered by their housed, envious neighbors?

a-1558616587 Feb 15, 2019 01:39 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

Envious? I don't know a single person who is or would be envious of any of the "unhoused" vagrants

Roger Feb 15, 2019 12:58 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

I remember that and I remember the other side of the coin when a Handicapped woman was murdered by a homeless male in her home on West Carrillo over her VCR, I also remember the drifter again Homeless male who strangled a female victim in her apartment at the California Hotel..Residents of Santa Barbara have been victimized by the homeless too...The 2 guys that killed Michael in the Gazebo were in a boarding school here they were not permanent residents.

a-1558616587 Feb 15, 2019 11:49 AM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

I remember seeing the dried blood that ran down the side of the Gazebo a couple days after.

a-1558616587 Feb 15, 2019 11:40 AM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

Roger have any of your doctors recommended free Gastric bypass due to co-morbidities ? Mine have and it scares the heck out of me. Does any know someone who has had it ?

Roger Feb 15, 2019 01:00 PM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

I'm not doing a gastric bypass if it comes up I have known people who have had those sort of things and it don't always work out.

a-1558616587 Feb 15, 2019 10:30 AM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

Maybe the people who have benefited from privately owned prisons could convert them (w/more comforts) for dangerous mentally ill? Include live-in monitors who protect mentally ill patients from being overly drugged or getting shock therapy. No abuse.

RHS Feb 15, 2019 10:22 AM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

The homeless who act out are not simply spoiled or willful. They are generally unbalanced and unstable. The idea that we should not provide shelter, health care and basic support for such a population is a bizarre rationalization to escape guilt. We will help "the deserving poor" is the mantra of self-righteous Christians (just as Jesus directed?!). This means they can yelp and whine about those whom they determine to be "not deserving." Yes, by the way, housing should include more locked care facilities (but not the jail).

a-1558616587 Feb 15, 2019 10:16 AM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

I'm a rickety old person who loves State Street. Here are my dangers (falls can become a death sentence). I can't hear as well as I used to, and my reactions have to be tempered, so that I don't fall. I love life, and love to be around people, and smile and be smiled at. I used to be strong and resilient; here are my dangers now: (1) anything coming behind me suddenly - bikes, skateboards, dogs. And dogs on leashes that allow the dog to be at my feet, but away from the owner. If I get tangled in a leash, I'll probably need medical help. (2) Any action by another that would create a need to avert, run, duck...I'd be a "sitting duck". I wish I had eyes in the back of my head. A relaxing stroll on State Street, not in the cards these days. Please make it better.

CCHandyMan Feb 15, 2019 09:35 AM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

I used to love visiting Santa Barbara and going down on State Street to sit at the Borders Book Store patio, having an ice cold drink and reading a magazine and watching all the people strolling by. These days I won't go anywhere near State Street due to all the transients and the problems they are creating. I feel bad for the merchants because they seem to be in a losing battle. The tourists are spreading the word that the area is no longer a pleasant adventure.

a-1558616587 Feb 15, 2019 07:32 AM
Scanner Reports 2-15-19

Roger, I feel like I need a personal body guard when I'm on State Street to shop or eat. I'm a Senior Citizen. Shouldn't my, and others', experiences on State Street be pleasant...and not fearful? You've posted many tmes about being "older" on Milpas, and when you've tried to cross the street slowly, people yell at you. Sad for all of us who already have burdens. Older people create stability in neighborhoods, and we have that same effect when allowed to "roam freely". And safely.