New Safety Features by the Train Station title=

By John Palminteri of KEYT News

New pedestrian crossing arms have gone in by the railroad tracks on State Street. Part of the $1.3-million cost, about $314,000, was paid for by the nearby Hotel Californian as part of the condition of approval for the project.

There are also many other new safety features, including railings and signage, on Milpas Street at that crossing.

Read more on keyt.com

Roger Feb 14, 2019 07:31 AM
New Safety Features by the Train Station

I think this is a good idea since so many people walk without looking where they are going texting or listening to music There had these pedestrian gates back in my hometown when I was a kid. There is alot of Rail traffic there not just one or two tracks at crossings...

Factotum Feb 11, 2019 10:21 AM
New Safety Features by the Train Station

We used to live in a society where children were taught to ....stop ...look ... and listen.... at every traffic intersection.

bosco Feb 11, 2019 10:17 AM
New Safety Features by the Train Station

You all realize this is for liability right? It has nothing to do with safety. This meant to reduce the liability cost of the inevitable death/injury/near miss law suit the city will be hit with at some point. If we truly wanted to protect people from trains we would need to elevate the tracks, put them underground, or find some other way of isolating people all together. We choose to live with trains running through our city because the benefits outweigh the risks for society. Unfortunately, we live in a society where individuals are quick to blame (i.e. profit) from risks we have decided to accept as a society.

a-1566640111 Feb 11, 2019 09:18 AM
New Safety Features by the Train Station

The article states, in part, "New pedestrian crossing arms have gone in by the railroad tracks on State Street. There are also many other new safety features ... on Milpas Street at that crossing." So what does Milpas Street have to do with the RR crossing under discussion?

tagdes Feb 11, 2019 02:42 PM
New Safety Features by the Train Station

Same railroad, UP, same city, SB, same issue crossing safety and......yes, part of the same 1.3 million dollar contract.

Luvaduck Feb 11, 2019 08:00 AM
New Safety Features by the Train Station

I agree with you, Flicka. We do stupid things on a daily basis. I'd like to add that the more society tries to protect us, the less aware many of us become. I roll my eyes when I see people <strolling> through an intersection against the light and assemble int the street astradle their bikes around a dark street corner. It's like, do you really want an ambulance ride that much?

a-1566640111 Feb 10, 2019 01:35 PM
New Safety Features by the Train Station

When my children were young and I could finally afford to buy a house, I looked for one not on a busy street. I trusted my children, but that possible moment in time when he might chase a bird or butterfly across the street, I wanted to reduce the risk that he would be hurt by a car. Always trying to reduce risks when raising, or caring for, children. Drama and tragedy can happen in seconds. Have you ever lost your child temporarily in a grocery store, museum, or big box store? You always hope they haven't run outside.

a-1566640111 Feb 14, 2019 05:55 AM
New Safety Features by the Train Station

So -- what do you think about the crossing improvements? That's the point of this post/thread. Again, use a leash.

a-1566640111 Feb 11, 2019 09:13 AM
New Safety Features by the Train Station

When my kids were young, I knew they could go from zero to sixty in 1 second. I'd never trust something like that to stop them, They'd be under that in no time at all.

tagdes Feb 10, 2019 01:13 PM
New Safety Features by the Train Station

In the 2 years Moxi has been open no children have been killed or injured by trains. Find another target to channel your negativity.

tagdes Feb 10, 2019 01:22 PM
New Safety Features by the Train Station

If you've ever been around construction you'd know warning signs and barricades don't stop drunks and idiots but are very helpful in keeping the confused and law abiding where they belong and are safe. The main issue here is that it's double track. This way if the UP freight in the hole leaves while ATK is still at the depot as is frequently the case people have fair warning. A small investment by UP for added safety and lawsuit avoidance.

a-1566640111 Feb 10, 2019 10:25 AM
New Safety Features by the Train Station

It appears than anyone can ignore any/all of the new/improved/enhanced safety features, and simply walk around the crossing arms.