Gas Station Thieves In Goleta

By an edhat readers

I was at the World Oil gas station on Fairview [Tuesday] night and there were two Hispanic adult males walking among the cars and trying the doors on the far side of the cars parked to add fuel. They also were just standing by (talking, sipping sodas), watching a young lady go into the store to pre-pay and tried to get the nozzle out and around the pump to their car before she came back out. A alert customer witnessed all of this and called them out. At that point they jumped in the back of their pick up truck and left before any one could stop them.

PurpleBee Jan 23, 2019 06:53 PM
Gas Station Thieves In Goleta

96068... I am curious as to why five out of seven posts are from you and within minutes apart. Also why do you feel it necessary to pick the whole post apart? "I'd rather be skimmed than threatened by 2 men. But I would have called the police, I'm not shy about that." They were not threating at all. Just hanging out sipping sodas looking for the right opportunity to steal. It wasn't worth calling the Police, or in Goleta the Sherriff. It was at rush hour and there were a lot of cars there trying to maneuver their cars in line and get gas in their vehicles, so they blended in and the ones in question were gone long before the Sheriff could get there. There is footage and I did call the Sheriff after I got home. "I don't fully understand "on the far side of the cars parked to add fuel." So that many people leave their cars to pay cash? I haven't seen that; where I gas up it's one out of 10 or more who goes in to pay. Not criticizing, I appreciate your report. The station must have video. Hope someone called it in; wouldn't hurt for law enforcement to see it. Though they're probably too busy to preemptively deal with these men. Again, thanks for the head up. (though I'll probably skip that station, certainly after dark!)" You say you aren't "criticizing" , but that is all you've done. The far side of the cars means they crouch down or walk up to the car opposite the side with the gas tank fuel filler spot and counting on you not to notice while they try your doors. Yes, that many people go in to pay cash & credit cards because of the fear of scamming at the pumps and the desire of only putting in the correct amount of gas that they want without going too far over the amount they wanted as I did that night. If you were paying cash, where does it go? The pumps cannot accept cash.

tagdes Jan 24, 2019 09:27 AM
Gas Station Thieves In Goleta

POTIF , you are correct, it's amazing that so few here can figure this out. Some are smart enough to use the timestamp, others blissfully post away quoting or complaining about no one in actuality.

PurpleBee Jan 23, 2019 10:42 PM
Gas Station Thieves In Goleta

True, I am not seeing the 96068 number any longer. Go with A-1548311943. However, I think you are a smart person who, by looking at the posts, would know what I was referring to.

PurpleBee Jan 23, 2019 11:35 PM
Gas Station Thieves In Goleta

Potif Jan 23, 2019 07:23 PM
Gas Station Thieves In Goleta

From what I can tell, anyone posting anonymously ( at least on the same thread), gets the same 'tag' number. So all the posts with the same I.D. number CAN each be from a different person. And, I don't see a '96068'...?

a-1556279677 Jan 23, 2019 05:08 PM
Gas Station Thieves In Goleta

a-1556279677 Jan 23, 2019 05:03 PM
Gas Station Thieves In Goleta

I'd rather be skimmed than threatened by 2 men. But I would have called the police, i'm not shy about that.

Red Creek Jan 23, 2019 04:04 PM
Gas Station Thieves In Goleta

Good idea to lock one's car when going in to pay or pre pay for gasoline and keep your purse and/or phone with you, not on a seat, to thwart smash and grab. We pay now with cash for gas, as the scammers can insert a credit card cheat device. In one year alone this happened three different times, three different gas stations. Once the scammers have your number, they can try to use your card. Hopefully your credit card company will catch it, but it is a pain to have to change your card.

Red Creek Jan 24, 2019 12:47 PM
Gas Station Thieves In Goleta

Yes, all in a few months. One from Ventura, two from SB. Hasn't happened since but we are using cash.

Red Creek Jan 24, 2019 12:48 PM
Gas Station Thieves In Goleta

Yes, all in a few months. One from Ventura, one from Long Beach, one from SB. Hasn't happened since but we are using cash.