Tiny Bugs Dropping from Ceiling?

By an edhat reader

I'm sure there are entomologists out there in edhat-land, and I'm thinking these must be related to insect life. I am finding these tiny wirey objects on a counter in our kitchen area. Every few days, about five or six of them. There is nothing above the counter but the ceiling--open beams, 72 year old fir. They are very hard--cannot break through them with a fingernail. Can stretch them out straight but they curve back up when I let go. At first I thought my husband must be leaving little bits of wire from some kind of project, but nope. It is a mystery. Not seeing any signs of termite frass there, but there are very small holes, maybe 1/4 inch in diameter, all along the rafter above the counter that are probably due to insect damage. I'm not sure how recent those are, could be new--I don't stare up at the rafters very often. Does anyone know what these little things could be?

pstarSR Jan 20, 2019 06:38 PM
Tiny Bugs Dropping from Ceiling?

I went and started searching google last night. Funny thing is this post popped up! still cant find an exact match to what you took a picture of. sadly, the downvotes are falling like last weeks rain..... what the hell edhat?

Eggs Ackley Jan 20, 2019 08:09 AM
Tiny Bugs Dropping from Ceiling?

Attach a piece of paper, cardboard, whatever, just under the beam/rafter for a few days and report back if they appear there or on the counter. You may have a micro-plastic infestation.

mtndriver Jan 19, 2019 09:38 PM
Tiny Bugs Dropping from Ceiling?

Oh, I just noticed the headline, "bugs"--when I sent the post in, I didn't say bugs....I don't think they are bugs! Misleading title.

Ahchooo Jan 19, 2019 08:20 PM
Tiny Bugs Dropping from Ceiling?

My guess is that some plastic thing is disintegrating. Maybe they are bristles off a little brush, or fibers from a rough plastic mat. Why it's falling from your ceiling is a mystery. Have you actually seen them fall? Maybe they are coming off something that is on or around the counter top? Pleeeeease let us know, if you figure it out!

pstarSR Jan 19, 2019 06:13 PM
Tiny Bugs Dropping from Ceiling?

Hmmm just seeing the picture, that’s an interesting one. I didn’t see the picture earlier today so I was just going off the description. Yea I would think expansion/ contraction would be more random like. It’s it only in one spot that they show up? Or all over?

a-1550575318 Jan 19, 2019 11:32 AM
Tiny Bugs Dropping from Ceiling?

Don't you have a jeweler's loupe or access to some type of magnification? You could then see for yourself whether or not these are living/once living entities. A loupe from Amazon will only set you back about $10 and is an incredibly handy little tool.

mtndriver Jan 19, 2019 04:46 PM
Tiny Bugs Dropping from Ceiling?

I have a 10x Hastings triplet, yes, and these little things do not look like anything organic under the lens. They have no surface features I can see at that magnification, but the ends are kind of splayed the way a wire cutter would create a pinched end. They seem like plastic. Certainly not wood fibers. Always in this semicircle shape.

shorebird Jan 19, 2019 11:24 AM
Tiny Bugs Dropping from Ceiling?

The part that makes it look like insects is that they are all the same size. Wouldn’t evidence of expansion/contraction be more random?

pstarSR Jan 19, 2019 10:13 AM
Tiny Bugs Dropping from Ceiling?

how do you know its an insect and not maybe fibers from the exposed 72yr old fir ceiling. the temperature changes and moisture levels in the air the past few days could be causing the beams to expand and contract, causing friction that will leave " evidence " although very small and slight. if you cant "break it with a fingernail" its hard to say its an insect.

mtndriver Jan 19, 2019 05:04 PM
Tiny Bugs Dropping from Ceiling?

I don't really think it's insects, more like some damage insects are doing. It's definitely not wood--black and hard and flexible, can straighten the little pieces and they bounce back to half circle shape. And it's been happening for a few weeks, before the rain. Never happened before--I've lived in the house for 37 years.