By Anna Marie Gott

Santa Barbara has a growing homeless problem of that there IS no doubt. Tourists, downtown business people and residents have all complained about the issue which continues to grow in both size and scope. The real question is how does the City address the issue and is "springing" a homeless trailer park on residents without notice the right way to conduct business?  This is a 3 year experiment that includes 40 trailers being parked adjacent to a neighborhood to house 40 hardcore homeless individuals and nearby residents of the proposed location were not consulted. This left their possible concerns intentionally disregarded and unaddressed while the City pushed ahead with a Grant Funding Application that would place a homeless trailer camp in their neighborhood for 3 years.

Noticing a simple Grant Funding Application on the City Council's Agenda rather than a Grant Funding Application that includes a 40 unit Homeless Trailer Park at Castillo and Carrillo seems designed to bury the information to ensure that residents won't voice their opinions. The Staff report even failed to mention anything about the homeless trailer camp or how long it would be in operation. It simply mentioned "Development of Bridge Housings" which is as clear as mud. The fact of the matter is that the City is planing to house 40 hardened mentally ill and addicted homeless individuals on rotating basis for 3 years adjacent to a residential neighborhood and they decided to limit the information provided to the public and leave neighbors out of the decision making process.

I believe that we make the best decisions when we have the most information and there IS a healthy dialog. I also  believe that when the City fails to notify and allow comments that it perpetuates the belief that many residents have that the City Staff and Council do not care what they think nor do they care to listen.

The City needs input from residents before the grant application is turned in and residents need to be apart of the conversation and the decision making process. But with a due date of 11/16 to apply for the grant the ONLY opportunity residents seem to have is on Tuesday (11/13/18) at City Council UNLESS residents demand a Special Emergency Meeting which is an option residents can advocate for.

If you are concerned about this plan and the lack of dialog or notice given to residents most affected I urge you to attend the meeting or send an email to the City Council on this topic.  If they don't hear from you the location won't be changed, a Special Emergency Meeting won't be had and the way the City notices things like this won't change. So, I urge you to attend the meeting or write a email expressing your thoughts.

City Council Meeting:
      735 Anacapa, 2nd Fl
      Tuesday @2:00PM

Email Comments/Concerns:

Read the City's Plan:
      https://tinyurl.com/SBHomelessTrailerCamp - Staff PowerPoint

Do you have an opinion on something local? Share it with us at ed@edhat.com. The views and opinions expressed in Op-Ed articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of edhat.

a-1544543395 Nov 14, 2018 02:21 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

City is gifting to 40 lucky homeless a tiny house at a prime location at a taxpayer cost of $2500/month. Without support services our City could offer 1000 workers a tiny house for $600/month; and 2000 workers a place to park their vehicles with shower, toilet, trash service and water for $360/mo. Thank you Reps Dominquez and Rowse for voting for better solutions to benefit more residents, and against this insanity to serve only 40 at $2500/mo.

Luvaduck Nov 14, 2018 12:18 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Lots of places in the US to live that are half the price of living in SB. They don't have the good weather or a nearby ocean, but some of them do have available jobs. (Some don't.)

a-1544543395 Nov 14, 2018 04:57 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Without jobs, or receiving lower wages in other cities ("Lots of places"), many would still be homeless. Not by their choice. There are homeless people most everywhere. Hawaii has them EVERYWHERE! Many of them with family roots going back over a hundred years. Most cities don't want them there. Where do they go? "Lots of places"... Doesn't answer the question.

a-1544543395 Nov 14, 2018 01:28 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Other beach communities do not have SB problems because they don’t want them. Redondo, Manhattan and Hermosa Beach enter into regional agreements with other cities to serve homeless to keep communities economically appealing, to sustain property values, plus keep safer and cleaner. SB has much to learn but isn’t interested. Homeless are big business.

ZeroHawk Nov 14, 2018 03:38 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

thats because they are NOT sleeping on the sidewalk in front of your house, my house, or someone elses house, and if they were, be a good human and offer a blanket or some warm soup and don't be a dick. the people in this city are really starting to act like over entitled elitists. grow a heart.

CoastWatch Nov 14, 2018 01:42 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

The 9th Circuit Court and the ACLU have combined to take away rights from those who "play by the rules" (job, mortgage, insurance(s), socially responsible citizens) and have given "rights" to those who are the opportunists, criminals and felons.

a-1544543395 Nov 14, 2018 01:24 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

9th Circuit Court ruled recently it is unconstitutional to prevent public sleeping in or on any public sidewalk or space, UNLESS no non-religious shelter cots are available . It will go on appeal. Until then, call daily at 5 to ask how many beds are available and where. SB Police have a stand-down Order from City Council. No response to callers about homeless camping on sidewalks in front of your home.

Z Nov 14, 2018 07:48 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Remember the motion picture Oklahoma? SB needs to consider that kind of land rush. Let's form a line and at dawn on Thanksgiving Day we can stake out our claims for trailer spaces.

CoastWatch Nov 14, 2018 06:35 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

This entire thread is a moot point. The City has decided, through some non-democratic way, to approve 40 dwellings...FOR FREE! Nothing expected in return from the dwellers. Maybe they can wave to the tourists who will be coming into and leaving the City on Carrillo...

a-1544543395 Nov 14, 2018 01:35 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Recent 9th Circuit Ruling allows if no non-religious beds are available. PATH reports it can expand capacity but City has not authorized except in bad weather. Have you considered perhaps City wants vagrants along 101 and in bushes?

a-1544543395 Nov 14, 2018 07:19 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

I would support this if the City promises to start enforcing vagrancy laws throughout the City. If these tiny homes go in, then that should be the end of panhandling on the on/off ramps of the 101. The city should work harder with Caltrans to dismantle the encampments all along both the highway and the Union Pacific easements. All encampments in the city could to be dismantled. I think they did this up in Lompoc in the riverbed.

yin yang Nov 13, 2018 09:39 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

It appears to me that 2, maybe 3 commenters have read the links that EXPLAIN THE PROGRAM. Otherwise, it's knee jerk responses. Typical. At least have an educated opinion. This is not a vagrant trailer park! Whatever. Seems impossible to have a knowledgeable conversation these days.

yin yang Nov 13, 2018 08:53 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

I do need to do more research, but Ms. Gott, YOU, right off the bat, affect me negatively, like the prez. "Hardened homeless"?!?! Okay, I respect your own beliefs. I also respect the Golden Rule. "Treat others as you would like to be treated" and whatever anyone's version is. I lived next door to a rehab house and guess what? Best neighbors I ever had! To ASSUME that people who lost homes have shady pasts, or drug issues, or alcohol issues, or criminal issues, is another type of sickness. Educate yourself about the effects, and the current and continuing effects, of the 2008 financial crisis. I can't see State st. young travelers being granted these benefits. You are a fear mongerer.

a-1544543395 Nov 13, 2018 09:05 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

I urge readers to read the links. I'm still perusing them. Housing First has been shown to be effective and *money saving.* Stop the most-affected patients from going to the emergency department regularly! These programs save money, just as subsidized and/or free birth control does. I'll be writing the Council to support this program. Thank you, Ms. Gott, for publishing this here.

x01660 Nov 13, 2018 08:50 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Here's what's really funny; I never said I expected anything from the city, nor did I ever express that I was entitled to anything. I am a free American in America. I've decided that the minor inconvenience of SLEEPING (mind you, I work 70 hours a week, so you figure out what I do with my free time...) in a car in order to save over half my net income on rent is worth it. Teachers don't get paid NEARLY as much as you think. 40k take home a year? So I'm supposed to spend half my income on a box to sleep in? I'm too old and have personal reasons that don't allow me to share a room. I need my space. Not to mention all the other stuff that comes with renting a place. In addition, I buy everything in SB, spend as much as my free time as possible volunteering in my community. So I still obey the laws, sleep where it's legal, don't make a mess, yet the mere act of EXPRESSING that I wished there were services for people like me is met with accusations of greed and slovenly living. It shows an extreme lack of empathy on your behalf, and is indicative of your lack of connection to what it's really like out there for people not born with a silver spoon.

a-1544543395 Nov 14, 2018 09:26 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

9:34 a.m.: Really? Where have you been all your life and more? Ever read a newspaper? Sorry to come on so strong, but I was shocked by your comment. Is the "they" you refer to unhoused or underhoused people, or the undead?! If you're old enough, didn't you get used to it by seeing hobos in the 30's, let alone the past ten or twenty years?

a-1544543395 Nov 14, 2018 02:04 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Would you agree to expand 40 tiny houses for $5M taxpaid grant cost to 200 tiny houses for only $1M more to add 150 workforce tiny housing units to be rented for $400/month? The Carrillo-Hwy 101 is a prime park like location near work. There are no land costs on City owned property. Elsewhere on a different City owned property or parking lot, advocate Council add toilet and shower facilities and charge vehicle owners )$12/a day to park there for 24-hours. I’d move! Many aged seniors would on social security would move.

SBWoman Nov 14, 2018 01:43 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Thanks for reminding us of the errors of identity-lumping! A homeless person is not necessarily mentally ill, PTSD, a gypsy, a bum, or a vagrant. Too many have outlived resources, are overtaxed, have major situational setbacks. I saw my beloved former plumber at the 99 cent store: lost his home in divorce, had to sell his truck to pay child support for his young son, got depressed, and ... All he needed was a helping hand to get paid work and shelter in a used car. Your points need to be communicated at Council on the public record.

x01660 Nov 14, 2018 11:06 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

In all fairness, it gets confusing when anonymous people post, since the handles are very similar. To answer your question, I'm not a teacher in a school, but at an educational institute in town. At the moment, I don't have students, so I'm able to post briefly. No anger; life is too short for that. Just wanting to actually debate the topic, rather than resort to fallacious arguments. I'm good. :)

a-1544543395 Nov 14, 2018 10:53 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Hahaha seriously? I'm not "arguing" anything. I don't disagree with your "points." I was just curious about your shower situation because you mentioned it. It's not an ad hominem attack to question why a "teacher" is constantly posting and arguing on Edhat during the school day. Why the deflection and anger?

x01660 Nov 14, 2018 10:43 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

How about arguing my point instead of reverting to variations on an ad hominem logical fallacy? That would be nice. If you could articulate why my argument and views are incorrect, rather than a snarky remark about being in "class". Then again, this IS Edhat...

mm1970 Nov 14, 2018 10:08 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Years ago I knew a couple that worked here in SB and lived 3.5 hours drive away. They slept in a pop up camper parked in a driveway M-F. They showered at the gym. A lot of workplaces have kitchens and showers also. I know it creeps a lot of people out to know these type of people are "out there" because it's unconventional. But I've known more than a handful of people to do variations of this. And they are all quite normal people. With jobs.

x01660 Nov 14, 2018 09:54 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Read my previous comment; I have a gym membership. Get up in the AM, go work out, then shower and go to work. One of my places of employment also has a shower that is available to the employees. Hygeine is very important, especially in mobile living.

a-1544543395 Nov 14, 2018 09:49 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

X01660 - That's fine, but how is it that you "don't even need a shower?" Just curious. As a teacher, I would hope you demonstrate good hygiene.

x01660 Nov 14, 2018 09:32 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

I agree with this 100%; I don't expect anything for free, and I would me MORE than happy to pay a monthly fee for a lot to safely park in. If you want something, you have to work for it. Period. But that also doesn't mean that you HAVE to "keep up with the Jonses" and go with the group. I'm a free thinker. I want to sleep in a van. Lets me be very frugal ( I have my laptop, my 3DS XL, clothes, shoes, and my motorcycle and gear. Thats it), allows me to spend a LOT more time than the average person outside, in nature, and I have a lot more time to myself BECAUSE I don't have all of the added responsibility. And for me, the discomfort of van life relative to house life is worth it. Heck, I don't even need a shower. Just a lot and a bathroom that's safe, and pay a monthly fee. That would be enough. Thank you for your comment. "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche

a-1544543395 Nov 14, 2018 08:15 AM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

I'm okay with you sleeping in your car as long as I am mostly not aware of it. By that I mean, I don't want car-sleepers peeing by the sidewalk, dumping loads of trash at the bus stops, tinkering on cars in front of my house and leaving debris from the process, having parties on the street. This is because I pay a lot for my residence, and the above-mentioned activities encroach on my enjoyment. I support a place where folk like you can safely get a shower, dump trash, etc, but for those who can afford it, a small fee should apply, because otherwise I am paying for it indirectly. This new trailer park will have sanitary facilities; maybe car-sleepers will be allowed to use those--that would be good. I do understand that some people are unable to contribute, and that's why I like the idea of this trailer park, if the residents are fairly and compassionately chosen.

a-1544543395 Nov 13, 2018 09:23 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

To the teacher (whoever you are): You are resourcefull, consciencious, and generous with your free time, and I am impressed. If I could, I would rent to you at-cost, and would be glad that you, and not a nimbyist, is my neighbor. Thanks for maintaining a good example of how to live a right livelihood as teacher. You are no doubt outshining many of your peers and un- and ill-informed critics, a paid teacher of children and (evidently) unpaid teacher of adults. I wish you many years of continued happiness--you are certainly earning it every day that you persevere in spite of your challenges and in spite of those personalities who put you to the test.

a-1544543395 Nov 13, 2018 08:39 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Unbelievable. The city formally approved moving this project forward. Only Rowse and Dominguez voted against it. I think that this should be grounds for a recall of all of the rest of the council.

booklady Nov 13, 2018 08:21 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

United Nations report: SF homeless problem is 'violation of human rights' https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/rapporteur-United-Nations-San-Francisco-homeless-13351509.php From the report: 46. Attempting to discourage residents from remaining in informal settlements or encampments by denying access to water, sanitation and health services and other basic necessities, as has been witnessed by the Special Rapporteur in San Francisco and Oakland, California, United States of America,29 constitutes cruel and inhuman treatment and is a violation of multiple human rights, including the rights to life, housing, health and water and sanitation. Such punitive policies must be prohibited in law and immediately ceased.30 Following expressions of concern from the Human Rights Committee, the United States federal Government introduced funding incentives for municipalities to rescind by-laws that criminalize homelessness.31 More robust measures, however, are required.

a-1544543395 Nov 14, 2018 02:10 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Recent 9th Circuit ruling goes one step further. Taxpayers must provide a non-religious bed to all or if bed unavailable, allow to camp in any public space.

pstarSR Nov 13, 2018 05:18 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

you know more than a few of us, probably close to 80% are only 1 or 2 paychecks away from being homeless. but sure, lets just put them in jail instead. so our tax dollars pay for their room and board.

a-1544543395 Nov 14, 2018 02:16 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

You’ve got that right: most non-government, non-profit workers have security. The 15% of us in the private sector are 1-2 paychecks away from being on the streets, living on the edge, anxious, depressed. The answer is more small spaces, more property tax-free tiny houses. City is gifting to 40 lucky homeless at a taxpayer cost of $2500/month.

CoastWatch Nov 13, 2018 05:38 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

PSTARSR- The people you are referring to get help- There is help available for them- They are the "homeless..." The PROBLEM lies with the 85% of VAGRANTS that pollute our streets, creeks , alleyways, off ramps, parks, beaches, etc. They don't care about ANYTHING or anyone. They don't care about anything but where their next 40 ouncer or "rock" is going to come from...

Factotum Nov 13, 2018 05:36 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

If you are one or two paychecks away from getting thrown out on the street, you definitely picked the wrong place to get your life together. Get a grip, take a deep breath and make better choices for yourself. Your future depends on what you can put together right now. Don't waste it trying to live someplace you cannot afford ,nor allows you to build up healthy savings. This is not rocket science.

sbdude Nov 13, 2018 04:25 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

I divide the homeless into roughly 3 categories. 1) The temporarily down-and-out, struggling to get back on their feet. There are many services for this population of homeless and they are well served. Many people avail themselves of these services and do get it together. You don't see too many of these, but they're out there. 2) The drug addicts/mentally ill/alcoholics. Most of these people will never be able to rejoin society without serious and expensive rehabilitation, and many do not want to. You see a lot of these wandering around town. 3). Vagrants/drifters. Often young, they come into town, congregate together, panhandle aggressively, and hopefully move on. Tough group to feel sympathy for. 4) Long-term homeless by choice. Not many of these but they can be in your face about demanding their rights and services. Often employed and "respectable". I suspect that this is the target population for this boondoggle.

a-1544543395 Nov 13, 2018 05:04 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Don't forget the recent (and not so recent) prison parolees. Many of these people are unemployable and are simply between stints at the lockup.

a-1544543395 Nov 13, 2018 12:31 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Santa Barbara should make vagrancy and/or homelessness illegal. Give the folks who are cited for vagrancy a choice, either jail or leave the county. Why live here if you can't afford to live here? So many people work 2 or 3 jobs to "live" here. The poor souls with mental issues should be in mandatory care. What happened to self-respect?

Factotum Nov 14, 2018 12:30 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

Why not bring back work houses? Sounds like a win-win. Seriously. Everyone knows the trade-offs and productive activity is exchanged for shelter. This current one-way street threatening and demanding everything in exchange for nothing is what does not work.

a-1544543395 Nov 13, 2018 03:27 PM
Homeless Trailer Park on Castillo and Carrillo

If they made it illegal to envy the poor, how many of you would be pleading your case before a judge right now because you just couldn't help yourselves?

Pages