Walking Into an Orb Weaver title=

By Chuck Cagara

Have you ever walked, by accident, into an unnoticed spider web?  You shudder when it happens.  Ewwwww…

Roaming around the backyard shrubs this morning I nearly put my face smack dab into the middle of this one!

Always puts me in mind of the opening lines of Mary Howitt's 1828 poem, "The Spider and the Fly."

“Will you walk into my parlour?” said the Spider to the Fly,
'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.”

PitMix Oct 23, 2018 02:04 PM
Walking Into an Orb Weaver

Why do they come out this time of the year? Is fall really a good time to catch flying insects? We have an agreement, they stay out of my house, and I stay out of their webs. The wolf spiders are not a signatory to this agreement.

Phin Oct 25, 2018 09:52 AM
Walking Into an Orb Weaver

I think it's just their life cycle--hatch during the late spring & summer, then build webs, feed & grow, and probably mate & lay eggs during the fall & early winter.

PurpleBee Oct 24, 2018 10:55 PM
Walking Into an Orb Weaver

I endeavored to apply the same agreement to the arachnids in and around my home with little to no cooperation from them. I have since put them on notice of eviction dead or alive.

Phin Oct 23, 2018 10:06 AM
Walking Into an Orb Weaver

Only every day! There's a video on YouTube of Boris The Spider spinning a new web on Halloween 2016--search for "Boris Rebuilds the Web Santa Barbara 10-31-16"--it's about a minute long.

PurpleBee Oct 22, 2018 11:22 PM
Walking Into an Orb Weaver

It was dark, along the path to the laundry. I did a weeks worth of cardio right there.

a-1542209788 Oct 22, 2018 10:25 PM
Walking Into an Orb Weaver

I SWEAR there are parallel universes. Far too many weird and astounding coincidences. Today someone posts this question and it was just yesterday that I posted this to my Pinterest board:--------------------https://www.pinterest.com/pin/341147740520328268/

a-1542209788 Oct 22, 2018 09:04 PM
Walking Into an Orb Weaver

Oh yes! But orb weavers are so cool. Has anyone else noticed the spiders seem to be really proliferous this year too?

TYH77 Oct 22, 2018 08:11 PM
Walking Into an Orb Weaver

Whenever I walk into a web or strand, I automatically end up doing funky ninja moves.

monkeyboy Oct 22, 2018 04:07 PM
Walking Into an Orb Weaver

6'2", so even when my whole family leaves the house, I walk right into a web weekly if not daily. Nothing wakes you up like the "where's the spider dance?" at 8AM.

Roger Oct 22, 2018 03:58 PM
Walking Into an Orb Weaver

The other day in our storage unit and I thought I was going to die I danced backward and spent a half hour brushing my hair checking for spiders.

a-1542209788 Oct 22, 2018 03:47 PM
Walking Into an Orb Weaver

Luckily these webs are USUALLY out of the main path. Such awesome spiders to observe and share yard space with. My problem is widows... Finding them EVERYWHERE!!

mtndriver Oct 23, 2018 10:06 AM
Walking Into an Orb Weaver

You're lucky, 14021! They are often right outside my front door, among several other places people are likely to walk through around here. In the past I have carried a "web browser" at night going through places where they often build their webs--a yardstick. I don't hurt the spider! Just detach the web, and of course it's rebuilt the next day. Great spiders, but I completely agree about the dance moves they cause. Funky ninja is right!