Reads 1980

By an edhat reader:

Do people think businesses and offices should invest in indoor artwork? Here’s one at the Main Branch of the SB Bank of America. Very nice.

Luvaduck Oct 16, 2018 08:14 AM
Should Businesses Invest in Artwork?

Leave it up to the business owner. She/he will respond to his clients. Offices and public spaces are different because the people inhabiting the space can't directly respond for the most part. I think that's why most art in those venues is the equivalent of elevator music.

greg Oct 16, 2018 07:41 AM
Should Businesses Invest in Artwork?

I submitted this posting and as I recall it was to note and appreciate artwork in public spaces, not about ‘should.’

Flicka Oct 15, 2018 05:45 PM
Should Businesses Invest in Artwork?

Here in Carpinteria at Zookers Restaurant they have artists hang their work for a period of time, with prices on them. They enhance the walls and give artists a gallery. My husband bought me one for Christmas that he saw there.

a-1542208851 Oct 15, 2018 02:17 PM
Should Businesses Invest in Artwork?

Artists should determine a way to declare themselves a non-profit. Then offer a painting (or other piece of art) "in appreciation for" a tax deductible donation. If a lawyer and tax accountant can figure that out, sign me up to get a tax donation I can hang on the wall of my business.

RHS Oct 16, 2018 09:00 AM
Should Businesses Invest in Artwork?

Is this tongue in cheek? Why should an artist avoid taxes that other working folk are expected to pay? How arrogant and how elitist.

SantaBarbaraObserver Oct 15, 2018 12:48 PM
Should Businesses Invest in Artwork?

Ironically, in related news, Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson just submitted a bill that would require all business to have at least 50% of all the artwork on display in their domain to have been created by women. We'll have to wait and see if it makes it to the Governors desk for his signature...

a-1542208851 Oct 15, 2018 08:23 PM
Should Businesses Invest in Artwork?

to SB Observer ---- ha ha. So many readers are going to believe this. THAT is the funny part! good one.

Ahchooo Oct 15, 2018 12:05 PM
Should Businesses Invest in Artwork?

I would not say "should," but if they want to, it's a nice way to spend some money. I encourage anyone to support artists, local artists in particular. I also like when businesses, usually restaurants, let their walls be used as a gallery, and artists can hang their work for a month or so, with contact information if anyone wants to buy it. Alas, it is true that the business owner will probably want to screen the artwork to be sure it doesn't have some likely offensive content. So, um, landscapes and abstracts might pass muster.

kane kena Oct 15, 2018 10:47 AM
Should Businesses Invest in Artwork?

Not sure what it is you're asking. If it's "Are business owners obligated to purchase and display art," the answer is absolutely not! If it's "Should business owners be allowed to purchase and display art if they so choose," the answer is sure, why not. If they want to display something people will find offensive, said people are encouraged to spend their money elsewhere.

a-1542208851 Oct 15, 2018 10:24 AM
Should Businesses Invest in Artwork?

If it enhances the the look - yes. It’s always nice to see something beautiful. Sometimes I tire of video screens with the news or advertising the company services.

a-1542208851 Oct 15, 2018 10:40 AM
Should Businesses Invest in Artwork?

What if it doesn't "enhance the look?" Then, should they not be allowed to purchase artwork to hang in their business? I'm just trying to understand how a business owner's decorating decisions are up for debate?

a-1542208851 Oct 15, 2018 10:18 AM
Should Businesses Invest in Artwork?

I think it's 100% up to the business owner. How is this anyone's decision other than the owner's? If it's considered "offensive," I'm sure they'll make a decision whether to remove it, or not.

420722 Oct 15, 2018 10:09 AM
Should Businesses Invest in Artwork?

Everything! It’s 2018 and everyone is beyond sensitive to everything somehow. Even if it’s a bunny someone will cry and find a way to get it removed.

a-1542208851 Oct 15, 2018 03:31 PM
Should Businesses Invest in Artwork?

Shorebird - "Bloody slaughter?" Wow, overly sensitive much? Might be best to stay inside. I worry what would happen to you if you were startled by a car horn.

shorebird Oct 15, 2018 03:05 PM
Should Businesses Invest in Artwork?

Offended by the depiction of the inhumanity of bloody slaughter. But if it’s ok with you hang it on your wall. Maybe in your dining room as an appetite enhancer.

a-1542208851 Oct 15, 2018 12:36 PM
Should Businesses Invest in Artwork?

Remember this, from a few years ago? https://www.independent.com/news/2015/sep/15/committee-votes-move-controversial-art-piece/

a-1542208851 Oct 15, 2018 11:23 AM
Should Businesses Invest in Artwork?

Any depiction of the prophet muhammad is offensive. For me, a plastic crucifix in urine ("Piss Christ") done by some artist back 20 years ago or so is offensive.

a-1542208851 Oct 15, 2018 11:05 AM
Should Businesses Invest in Artwork?

Shorebird- are you offended by the blood, or by the fact that it is a religious symbol to billions of people around the world who practice a religion you seem to not believe in? I have a feeling it's the latter.....