Scanner Reports 9-24-18
By Roger the Scanner Guy
Good Morning Ya All! I used to live near the Monon Railroad Yard in Hammond, Indiana where I'm from. Growing up there was a pretty big yard there and it was my main source of entertainment since I had no friends, though the train yard was dangerous and I knew that it scared me enough that I never climbed on the trains unless they were unattached cars with no engine around in a side yard. I did cross the tracks where there was no crossing much of the time but was very aware of my surroundings. I saw a lot of the old Pullman passenger trains cruise through the BAs (Before Amtrak's).
The old passenger train cars were older than dirt, like me now. I saw some very interesting things playing around the railroad yard when I was a kid weird things I thought were dead mutilated small animals with cloth on them but sometime in my later years found out it was actually body parts. Some people did not get out of the way of the train quick enough for whatever reasons suicide or drunk mostly I imagine quite a sight for a young kid to see even though I had no idea of what I saw at the time. Some places those horrible things happen and they don't get all the scraps the wildlife usually does. Had I known at the time what it was I most likely would have stayed entirely away from the tracks, but as it was I was very careful and never so much as had a close call. I was always aware of the trains. I never climbed over the train connectors or under a stopped train to get where I was going, other kids did though.
I did other things like steal boxes of Rail Road torpedoes and put em on the tracks when the trains ran em over they blew up and it stopped the train. One time I found what I thought was railroad flare and put that on the tracks and it blew up louder, it did not do much to the train. I was 7 years old then some 500 years ago. Back then there was no automatic crossing rails there was a man in a shack along the tracks that manually operated the signals and the rails alerting folks a train was coming so they could stop and wait for the train to go by. The crossing men had all kinds of cool stuff in those shacks and when one would take a break and leave the hut for a few moments Roger would strike to score neat treasures. Cigarettes, booze, and Playboys. Those were the Good Old Days never got caught either. Never rode the trains like many others who traveled Americas great Landscape by rail but have read many a story of those who have the greatest to me Jack Kerouac every night before I sleep. I like to read the first chapter of Dharma Bums where he rolls into Santa Barbara, cooks his dinner with a wood fire near the beach, sleeps on the sand I travel off to arts unknown every night in my dreams.
There was a fella who rode the rails and made videos of his travels on You Tube. His name was Strobe the Hobo, was I say because a little less than a year ago he was killed by a train in a freak accident of sorts. But not before he made all these videos and a couple movies which are all on You Tube for those of you who love Jack Kerouac and Woody Guthrie and those who have ridden the rails these videos are priceless as you will see if you take the time to watch them. You will not be sorry. I'm addicted. When I found out Stobe had been killed doing what he loved to do so young I was bummed out actually depressed but in these videos he comes alive at least for a few moments and though he might be gone I bet his spirit is still riding the rails. Check out his work. Here are your scanner reports.
Scanner Reports, Friday:
- 417 Brandishing a knife Cabrillo at Milpas near the East Beach Bath House.
- 415 Home invasion type of thing not really sure what was going on there 2 guys and a gal tried to force there way into someones residence and the victim was screaming police responded very quickly and put an end to it 300 Block of West Haley.
- Shoplifter detained in the commuter lot Cota at Santa Barbara streets after stopping to change their clothing I don't know where they took the merchandise from but the reporting party followed them observed the clothing change and let the police know where the thief was hopefully they spent the weekend in county wearing the stylish orange jumpsuit.
- Med call Rancho Oso Fall victim.
- 415 In the station lobby at Market Place I guess maybe there is a little Sheriffs station there.
- 273 Investigation at the Franklin Center, child abuse.
- Check the welfare of a female down Anapamu side of the old courthouse.
- 20001 Felony hit and run victim driving themself to GVCH occurred at Hollister and the 217.
- Non injury accident DLV at Carrillo.
- 415 Subject yelling 700 Block of West Islay.
- Paradise Road at Highway 154 vehicle fire.
- Vehicle accident on Calle Real in front of Trader Joes.
- Homeless subject issue at Aliso School.
- 3 Gun Shots heard on Swinney Road.
- Check the welfare of a man down Los Positas Side of Loreto Plaza.
- Keyed vehicle vandalism near Ross for Less in Five Point suspect on scene, well at least they saved $ on clothing.
- Check the welfare of a homeless guy who took a dump near a restaurant in the 1900 Block of Cliff Drive.
- Euclid at Victoria 415 in the bushes Domestic male female.
- Another 415 Domestic Arrellaga at Garden street male walked away female drove away.
- A social worker from the East Side clinic called in a check the welfare on a clients mental health I'm glad I quit talking to people about my mental health I'd probably be locked up in Fort Knox by now.
- Campers setting up a large camp at 315 East Guiterrez not on private property.
- Check the Welfare of 2 Drunks Haley at Milpas.
- 417 Knife brandishing 415 Roommates 500 Block of DLV need to get a Bong.
- 10851 Vehicle theft 3100 Block of Calle Pinon.
- 484 Shoplifter from REI Filled up a suitcase left male in 40's shaved head, dark shorts, white shirt gotta watch those clean cut types more than the Hippies the clean cut types usually are the crooks.
- 415 Domestic 500 Block of South Salinas.
Scanner Reports, Saturday:
- 415 Subject disturbing at Albertsons 7127 Hollister.
- Ped stop by SBPD 100 Block of East Figueroa.
- Leaf Blower violation 1200 Block of Coast Village Road.
- Overdose on Whitman street County Santa Barbara Overdose code blue hope they were saved.
- Reckless report on an Easy Lift vehicle got off at Linden in Carpinteria unable to maintain lanes according to the reporting party.
- Harris Grade at Rucker 415 Domestic male drove off without the female in an older red Monte Carlo.
- Vehicle accident highway 101 Northbound at Los Carneros vehicle in the bushes.
- Med Call 4202 Calle Real.
- Code 40, Drunk passed out at 911 State street Oh how fun it is to go downtown in Santa Barbara and Pass Out after drinking all day.
- Premises check at SBCC 721 Cliff Drive.
- Med call County Jail.
- Alice Keck Park Premises check.
- Suspicious circumstances male doing drugs in the bathroom of the Goleta Valley Community Center what a fun place to do drugs in a bathroom.
- Tree down on highway 166.
- Hollister at Los Carneros Way man down but he got up before AMR arrived and took off.
- The roommates over on DLV in the 500 Block one threatened to kill the other the victim locked herself in her room 500 Block of DLV. I had some neighbors here once that were very BAD people we did not get along they were always threatening me they had one of my cats killed had I known it at the time someone else would be writing this...Then one day I heard their description on the scanner they were strong arming people for money I wrote about it they disappeared just like magic :)
- A couple are arguing with a corn vendor Milpas at Montecito streets.
- Subjects possibly trespassing on a roof in the 400 Block of North Milpas.
- Police were attempting to locate someone in the 1200 Block of Liberty, and the 1300 Block of Punta Gorda.
- Man yelling and making noises 100 Block of Natoma Hmmm I wonder what was going on there?
- 1200 Block of Bel Air 20002 Non injury hit and run.
- Code 40, Drunk down behind the UpTown Lounge.
Scanner Reports, Sunday:
- Heard this really cracked me up, a poacher was running from the SBSO, a Rancher and his Dogs in the Tepusquet area Sunday Morning. I never heard if they caught up with him but I bet there were some animals watching from the sidelines and laughing at this illegal hunter being hunted.
- I woke up but not early enough to know everything about a possible 10851 Vehicle Theft call I believe happened in the 700 Block of Olive, the suspect was captured possibly involved in a crash somewhere in town I know he went to jail.
- 415 Female yelling early in the morning Bath at Micheltorena streets.
- A SBPD officer said she was headed to the Montecito car show probably on a detail.
- Fall victim injury med call 1500 Block of Eucalyptus Hill Road.
- Juveniles climbing on the roof of Harding School in the 1600 Block of Robbins.
- 211 Silent Alarm no robbery in the 400 Block of North Milpas.
- A 290 Registrant cut off his GPS Monitor so there is a sex offender without his leash loose in Santa Barbara usually hangs out downtown, Police will get him sooner or later lets just hope he doesn't commit another crime before they do.
- Subject with a warrant out of Santa Maria City in front of the SBCounty Jail on Calle Real. Not sure if they have to take him back to Santa Maria before he is booked in the County Jail nice drive anyway.
- 600 Block of Mason Court overdose.
- 600 Block of East DLG 10851 Vehicle theft.
- 242 Assault at Joe's Cafe the manager was assaulted by a man in a wheelchair.
- Med Call in a vehicle 400 Block of South McClellan Unconscious subject.
- Dine and Dash only the subject won't leave he's in the bar at the Fish House 101 East Cabrillo. I wonder how much they charge for Dumpster Diving it's all I can afford.
- Code 2 AMR for a Drunk 2500 Block of Cliff Drive where the Hang Gliders take-off end of Elings Park.
- Someone reported a stabbing but there wasn't one in the 200 Block of Central in Buellton no stabbing just an emotional caller.
- Med call for a woman unable to stand at the Villa S.B. 227 East Anapamu.
- 415 Homeless subject yelling walking South on Milpas from the Arco Station 231 North Milpas.
- Drunk Driver cruising up Carrillo Hill from San Andres weaving in a blue Pick Up Truck a Chevy registered on Kenwood Street.
- Trespassing investigation in the 1100 Block of Castillo subject in the shed in the back yard of a vacant home coughing.
- Med call in a white convertible parked at the Chevron station 1085 Coast Village Road.
Will I sure was ill the other day don't know what it was but a friend said there is a 24 Hour Flu going around and that sounded about right, nasty little thing. I hope itdoesn'tt come back anytime soon really felt like crap. Have a great MONday-MONday...Peter, Belinda, Angel Baby, Pooh Bear, Tom Cat, Clancy, Thomicina, Tiger, Midnight, Merlin, Lola, PoPo, Fish Head One and Two, Poncho, Jerry, Walter, Fred, Jonathan, C.J., Brad, Billy, Carl, Stan, Kent, ELMO, Patrick, Christy, Diana, Jim, Rambo, Sherry, David Cox, Poe, Marty, Cop John, Eddie, Bambi, Bengy, Ricky, Bommy, Poppy, June, Muskie, Pat, Mavis, Lafayette, Ted, Magruder, Don, Edwin, Cory, Isabelle, Jerry, Debbie, Ken, LUCY! John Hancock, Mickey Mantle, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Tom Petty and Chris willing we will see you on WEDnesday. Later, Roger