Bear Seen Touring Carpinteria Areas title=

(Photo: SBSO)

Source: Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office

Deputies received multiple calls of a brown-colored bear sighting [Sunday] morning in Carpinteria.

While checking the area, the bear was located walking eastbound on Foothill Road. He eventually fled into El Carro Park through the pedestrian gate at the east end of Cambridge Lane.

A reverse 911 notification was sent to the residents in the area of Linden Avenue, Casitas Pass Road, and Via Real advising them of the brown bear sighting in the area. Fish and Game responded and advised they were attempting to contain it, but were not in an optimal position to tranquilize it.

Fish and Wildlife Game wardens remained in the area, and advised they would be leaving the bear in the nursery with the gates open in hopes it would find its way out and north towards the mountains. Please keep an eye out for our furry friend!

By Blazer

Seems the black bear (with brown fur) was on Kathy street, right behind us and it hopped the fence into my next door neighbor’s backyard about 7:30 [Sunday] morning.

Z Aug 10, 2018 06:42 AM
Bear Seen Touring Carpinteria Areas

Yesterday about sunset (after I snarked on feeding bears) the yard horses (retired old mares) make their bear-alert noise (snort/whinney) and commenced a half-hour of high-speed back and forth and round the yard and stopping to stare into the bush . . . momma bear and year-old adolescent. So I closed the doors and told the horses they were good girls. After a while the bears moved on, watered but unfed, probably looking for avocados

a-1544752293 Aug 09, 2018 07:21 PM
Bear Seen Touring Carpinteria Areas

It does not really matter if the woman who was attacked by the bear was feeding it avos or donuts. The fact of the matter is that too many people think bears are cute little cuddly pets, but nothing could be further from the truth. In the end, the bears always lose! Please people, do NOT feed the bears all the time...the consequences are often life threatening. Off-leash dogs are of no help as was evident with that terrible bear attack.

Flicka Aug 09, 2018 01:25 PM
Bear Seen Touring Carpinteria Areas

Where in heavens name did anyone get the idea my friend attacked by a bear was "feeding it avocados"? She was simply taking her dogs for a morning walk as she usually does (on private property so don't talk "leash"). I've lived in avo orchards too and never leashed my dogs on our own property. When the bear attack happened posters said it had cubs (totally wrong), others said it was killed, impossible as it was never found. Guess it's fun to make up stories out of whole cloth to blame others.

Z Aug 09, 2018 03:56 PM
Bear Seen Touring Carpinteria Areas

No problem feeding avocados to bears, just don't let them gorge on a bucket full. One at a time so they mind their manners, probably want to hold them to less than twenty pounds though. Salmon filets and whole plucked chickens help keep their coats shiny. A few breaded, deep-fried artichokes for dessert and they're ready for a good brushing.

a-1544752293 Aug 08, 2018 11:41 PM
Bear Seen Touring Carpinteria Areas

Time to put on my Black bear suit and wander around in some avo orchards. I wonder how many avos I can fit into my bear suit pockets?

Roger Aug 09, 2018 07:29 AM
Bear Seen Touring Carpinteria Areas

I wouldn't do that remember what happened to that guy dressed as a Gorilla, in that Gorilla cage on the train in that Eddie Murphy movie?

a-1544752293 Aug 08, 2018 07:38 PM
Bear Seen Touring Carpinteria Areas

I agree that you cannot just go out and feed WILD bears anything, especially avocados, all the time like Flicka's close friend apparently likes to do. Flicka's friend was very lucky that bear only false-charged her a couple of times, because her injuries could have easily been worse.

pii Aug 08, 2018 09:02 AM
Bear Seen Touring Carpinteria Areas

Looks like the bear photo is in an avocado orchard? We had large dogs that got fat eating the avos from under out one large tree. BTW. It is a black bear. Brown Bears are found in Alaska & Canada.

destag Aug 08, 2018 11:26 AM
Bear Seen Touring Carpinteria Areas

Also in Washington, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming and it mentions in the article that it's a black bear.

Flicka Aug 08, 2018 08:58 AM
Bear Seen Touring Carpinteria Areas

I have no idea where you got the idea the bear attack was caused because the woman let her dogs go barking at the bear, she had no idea what was going on until they came running out from under the trees with the bear in chase. The dogs ran right past her (thanks for defending me, she later said) and then the bear stopped going after the dogs and attacked her. She never mentioned seeing scat. This woman has a ranch in the Western Sierra and is well aware of bears and what to do.

Rinconer Aug 08, 2018 07:10 AM
Bear Seen Touring Carpinteria Areas

The Bear did not seem like a threat to people. He looked at me from 50 feet away and sauntered over a fence. 400 lbs plus.

Bug Girl Aug 08, 2018 08:37 AM
Bear Seen Touring Carpinteria Areas

What an experience, to have been eyed by such a magnificent beast. I like the imagery of a bear sauntering about. Glad he didn't do more than scare folks, I'm certain most bears would prefer to live their lives without having to go into human occupied areas to find water/food.

mtndriver Aug 08, 2018 03:52 AM
Bear Seen Touring Carpinteria Areas

I don't think Fish and Game would kill an animal unless it was a direct threat to someone. Creeks are so dry, where can the animals go but downhill where the water is? Very sad. They suffer from the drought and the hotter temperatures earlier and more intensely than we humans do.

a-1544752293 Aug 08, 2018 01:03 AM
Bear Seen Touring Carpinteria Areas

I just hope that Fish and Game did not kill this bear. I guess these comments are supposed to be funny. Often these creatures are killed. Unnecessarily. It makes me very sad. Go ahead and make fun.

a-1544752293 Aug 07, 2018 11:16 PM
Bear Seen Touring Carpinteria Areas

Yes, FLICKA. Your friend attacked in an avocado orchard first saw (and recognized as fresh) bear scat, but decided imprudently to continue on with her walk. She then allowed her dogs run barking and flush out the bear. I think she is damned lucky (and she even said so, herself, if I recall correctly) that the bear only raked her back with its claws but then let her be. A VERY scary experience and a VERY benevolent bear.

Bug Girl Aug 07, 2018 12:02 PM
Bear Seen Touring Carpinteria Areas

I hope the bear was happy with sightseeing for the time being, got a nice drink of relatively clean water, and was merrily on their way without needing to be physically moved by any wardens. I wonder if they found any avocados? The picture seems to be under some avo trees.