By TwoScoops

What are your favorite snacks during a heat wave? I like melon, grapes, celery, strawberries, lettuce, and soup. These foods account for around 20-30% of my fluid intake.  What foods should be avoided?

a-1534315192 Jul 23, 2018 02:12 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

Just put my head under the cold water faucet. Feeling better, and ready for my watermelon lunch.

a-1534315192 Jul 23, 2018 03:11 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

Oh, the Best! Like playing in the sprinkler when we were kids.

goletatim Jul 23, 2018 07:32 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

3 pounds of boiled crawfish and a pint of cold beer!

a-1534315192 Jul 22, 2018 05:00 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

*eat* not heat...re tomatoes. No heat involved, you want them chilled.

a-1534315192 Jul 31, 2018 01:31 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

No, no! Don't refrigerate fresh tomatoes. Such a controversial issue!

a-1534315192 Jul 22, 2018 04:57 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

Tomatoes, extra ripe and juicy, heat them like apples.

a-1534315192 Jul 22, 2018 01:23 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

Warm (slightly warm, not hot) milk with cinnamon. Delicious. Cinnamon has powerful antioxidants, and it helps your body fight infections. Ben & Jerry's has Cinnamon Buns ice cream.

a-1534315192 Jul 23, 2018 03:14 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

Wrong thread maybe? I'm a cinnamon fanatic, but it's gotta be cold these days. Like Talenti cinnamon peach biscuit ice cream.

a-1534315192 Jul 22, 2018 12:18 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

BETSY: There's nothing "healthy" about sweetened condensed milk. You can make your own ---- super easy: sugar, butter, milk powder, vanilla ---- but all that sugar is bad bad bad. ******************* My favorite hot weather snacks? Icy cold organic peaches, icy cold organic cherries and icy cold organic watermelon.

a-1534315192 Jul 31, 2018 08:00 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

It was at the end of the posting—"Stay cool, Betsy."

a-1534315192 Jul 23, 2018 03:16 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

Yes. And why did the interlocutor use a first name? I, a reader, didn't see it.

a-1534315192 Jul 23, 2018 02:27 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

To JUL 22, 2018 12:18 PM: Hope down off that soap box for a second. Betsy said NOTHING of "sweetened condensed milk," she said "unsweetened coconut milk." HUGE difference, but you would have had to actually have read what she wrote to catch it.

TWOSCOOPS Jul 22, 2018 10:07 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

Sailor saying: "It's better to stay dry than to try to get dry". For this incoming heat wave, better to stay cool rather than try to get cool.

betsy920 Jul 22, 2018 09:47 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

I keep portable air conditioner blowing on me at all times possible. I do drink more liquid. I make healthy Popsicles-1 Avacado, 1 can unsweetened coconut milk, juice of one or two limes, and a bit of honey......blend in blended and put in Popsicle molds or ice trays.....filling and cooling. Or if you like fruit-take 1 cup blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries-any or all together-with a scoop or protein powder(any flavor) 1 cup plain yogurt and nut milk-blend it up and freeze- Both are refreshing easy and filling..... Stay cool, Betsy

Luvaduck Jul 22, 2018 09:44 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

Frozen seedless green grapes.

shorebird Jul 22, 2018 09:15 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

It is possible to drink TOO MUCH water. You can die from it. Google “water intoxication”for more information. Stay safe.

a-1534315192 Jul 23, 2018 03:00 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

Thanks for addressing this. An acquaintance of mine managed to suffer hyponatremia from trying to be healthy... Well, the weather was bad, he lives in GA and TN. It's still a risk for people who tend to overdo good advice.

EastBeach Jul 22, 2018 02:06 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

@SHOREBIRD - I've talked with a few backcountry and search & rescue rangers in the desert southwest about hyponatremia. It results from a large loss of electrolytes/salts in your body (e.g. profuse sweating during hiking) combined with large intake of water. The result is the concentration of salts in your blood becomes very diluted and the brain begins to swell. According to the rangers, it sometimes pops up in outdoor settings - but when the heat ratchets up, the vast majority of issues are usually related to dehydration not hyponatremia. If you're healthy, not taking certain medication, and not sweating a lot (losing salts) it's even harder to get "water intoxication" by guzzling water. Watch out for your balance of water and body salts and you'll be fine. Use the color of your pee to help determine if you need more water.

John Swepston Jul 22, 2018 08:40 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

I like a bowl of green chili stew. I find it cools me down. Drink plenty of fluids also

eainca Jul 22, 2018 07:55 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

I remember reading that it is better to drink things like hot tea rather than cold drinks. While cold drinks “make you feel better” physiologically they actually cause your system to turn down its’ cooling system and turn up its’ warming system.

a-1534315192 Jul 23, 2018 02:57 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

I tend to use too warm of shower water, which heats my core. I sweat as soon as I get out, even if I've finished with cool or cold water. This makes no sense to me. I can see showering in tepid water, as cold reportedly makes pores close up and may retard heat exchange, but I'm all about cool showers and a cold rinse. I only have tea if I get up around 5 or 6 a.m. This is my experience, not reading. Whatever floats your boat!

a-1534315192 Jul 22, 2018 01:29 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

ok, I DID forget the original question when I read the responses. I will repeat: wet shirt, fan, cold/cool gel packs under arm & in groin/thigh crease, wet head and hair when it dries, pin hair up away from neck. Our temps at the area in question shouldn't cause heat exhaustion or sickness requiring emergency medical care if we do this stuff. I had 2 or 3 hot or warm meals in two weeks during last heat wave. Snacks? Meals? I made wonderful picnic - nibble plates for myself. Canned fish, tuna, kippered herring. Got smoked trout at Grocery Outlet, which sells 2 lbs. avos for 3 or 4 bucks. Big packages of sliced and diced veggies at vons, good to eat raw or saute. Ham is good cold. Hard boiled eggs, cook them or splurge on the packaged cooked ones (yeah, might be embarrassing to do so, but so worth it). So -- LOTS of raw veg & fruit, crackers and cheese, canned fish, cold cuts, ... I love to eat this way regardless of weather. Sit outside or spread a sheet on the floor inside and have a picnic. With wet shirts, of courses.

420722 Jul 21, 2018 05:50 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

Lemonade or any fresh juice crushed with ice in a blender will cool you down for sure. The down voter needs a life I feel bad for that person. I seriously think it’s one pathetic person with multiple accounts.

Roger Jul 21, 2018 05:32 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

Drank 2 gallons of water today on meds for an infection on my leg gotta go to the doctor on Monday..Have little oranges, have a watermelon for next week, frozen strawberries, raspberries, have over 10 gallons of water, 2 fans, and a ceiling fan, bags to freeze water for ice hopefully get more ice, have a few lemons too, hopefully al;l will be well..

MissBleu Jul 21, 2018 03:04 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

Excellent XO1660... Thank You!

MissBleu Jul 21, 2018 02:45 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

Thinking of folks like Roger here...can anyone with or without a technical background recommend success with alledged low cost portable cooling units being recently promoted?

mtndriver Jul 22, 2018 03:19 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

I have used those "min-split" units for both cooling and heating in places I've stayed, and they work well, especially in moderately sized spaces like a bedroom. Not very noisy, either. At our house it's the wet t-shirt and fan scenario for the present. Lots of water. Never thought we'd need A/C in SB.

a-1534315192 Jul 22, 2018 01:43 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

Blushing. Sorry I misunderstood your question, MissBleu. I was thinking of something like ... not good for Roger. I googled "stand alone portable air conditioner"

a-1534315192 Jul 22, 2018 01:20 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

Easy to buy them! On line or in person. My partner about 7-8 years ago did so, made all the difference in the world in a studio apartment. Ignore those who tell you not to get one, and check out Consumer Reports at the library. It would work for his place, as it seems to be quite small, like a studio. What I experienced was a small, stand-alone, easily moveable unit. It worked GREAT.

a-1534315192 Jul 22, 2018 01:15 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

Yep go back to wet t shirt in front of fan and ice packs. Thanks I won't buy that tiny cooler AS SEEN ON TV.

EastBeach Jul 21, 2018 11:31 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

I'm an engineer (though not an expert on HVAC) and had a long talk with overheated co-workers during the last heatwave. We came to the conclusion that the best bang for the buck are those "mini split" or "mini wall split" AC systems that don't require installation of a duct system. Some co-workers used portable AC units in a pinch but the aren't energy efficient compared to a mini split system - a slim compressor mounts to an exterior wall and an "air handler" that has a blower mounts to an interior wall. You do need to run two pipes through the wall for the coolant. Some units have multiple blowers. You can peruse some here …. http://www.thermospace.com/

pstarSR Jul 21, 2018 04:04 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

I made one of these "DIY AC" things out of a plastic cooler and a fan, using blocks of frozen water in the cooler. it worked for about 5ft, and for about 30 minutes. before having to swap out the ice for more ice. As amazing as it sounds to DIY an AC unit at home with stuff you have, it isnt quite as efficient or as cold as a real AC system. but it can work for some relief just takes effort. The "personal coolers" you see advertised on amazon/ facebook are a similar idea, using evaporative ( water evaporating over a medium ) cooling to produce the cooling effect. Dont expect them to cool your home, or a room. its is only personal space they can "slightly" cool.

x01660 Jul 21, 2018 02:53 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

Get a styrofoam cooler and fill it with ice; cut two holes in it. Stick a fan in one of the holes, and point the other hole towards yourself. Instant AC

a-1534315192 Jul 21, 2018 12:07 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

I keep a stash of bottles filled with water in the freezer as well as the fridge. When going out I grab a frozen one.

a-1534315192 Jul 21, 2018 11:52 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

Its so damn hot... milk was a bad choice

a-1534315192 Jul 21, 2018 10:43 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

nom nom watermelon, cold, sliced, or dig in with tablespoon

Flicka Jul 21, 2018 10:38 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

Nothing better than ice cold milk. Watermelon is a great hydrator.

EastBeach Jul 21, 2018 12:17 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

I love cold watermelon on hot days. Have read watermelon, like some other fruits, can have a diuretic effect but I've not noticed that myself. I agree with the poster who mentioned the importance of, and tips for, getting seniors to hydrate enough

a-1534315192 Jul 22, 2018 01:11 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

giggling. They're fun to eat! Have done so since I was about kindergarten age or younger.

oceandrew Jul 21, 2018 12:20 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

Huh??? Kinda hard on the teethus don't you think.

a-1534315192 Jul 21, 2018 10:17 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

6 ways to get seniors to drink more water: (1) Remember there are many sources of fluids. Older adults don’t have to drink only plain water to get hydrated. If your senior friend really hates drinking fluids, serve them more foods with high water content to increase their hydration. (2) Keep water easily accessible. Sometimes, making it easy for seniors to serve themselves could encourage them to drink more water. Try putting a lightweight pitcher of water and a cup near their favorite seat. (3) Experiment with beverages at different temperatures. Experiment to find out which type they like better. Try LIGHTLY warming up juices, making decaf iced coffee with cream, or adding soda water to make drinks bubbly. (4) Try something savory. Those who like savory foods may enjoy drinking warm soup broth. (5) Make popsicles. Homemade popsicles made from fruit juice or a mix of juice and water are a great summer treat. But they’re also a great way to get fluids into your senior friend. (6) Offer smoothies, milkshakes, Ensure, sports drinks. Try soft frozen grapes.

REX OF SB Jul 21, 2018 10:06 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

When you exercise for a long time in hot weather, you need to take in salt and water. Without salt, you do not retain water and you may become dehydrated. Here's an interesting link that explains this: drmirkin.com/archive/7079.html

a-1534315192 Jul 22, 2018 01:04 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

Indeed. Gatorade is a product of PepsiCo. Of course they want to make you think you need it. YOU DON'T. Unless you're a very high performance athlete or worker (like a firefighter). If you're working out have some fruit and salted nuts. It's good as a mixer. And the taste is good, to some. Plain old water is better and of course cheaper for all of us. How easily we fall for corporate stories. Just spend an hour or 2 or 3, doing some reading!

EastBeach Jul 21, 2018 01:11 PM
Heat Wave Snacks

Good point. That's why sports drinks like Gatorade have salts based on sodium, potassium, etc. They're also there to replenish the salts you lose through sweating so as to prevent muscle cramps. On our last backpacking trip down into the Grand Canyon, one of the park rangers told us she recommends Fritos corn chips along with plenty of water to those hiking in the extreme heat down to the Colorado. Obviously this is just for heavy exertion under conditions an office worker or sedentary person wouldn't experience.

pstarSR Jul 21, 2018 09:40 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

avoid coffee, soda, caffeine, high salt foods. and milk is a horrible choice when its hot, not for health reasons. its just gross.

a-1534315192 Jul 22, 2018 01:09 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

Maybe rephrase that to "I hate milk when it's hot." Sheesh, are we supposed to agree with some poster that milk is bad when it's hot outside?!

a-1534315192 Jul 22, 2018 01:06 AM
Heat Wave Snacks

A liquid dairy product. How different is kefir from milk? Are cultured dairy products make all the difference? Yes, for some people. Not all. I really like milk.

Pages