What Animal Does This? title=

By an edhat reader

What is in our yard?  These hills have shown up over the years. Never evidence of tunneling like with moles. Never a clear hole like an entrance/exit.

d8vanilla Jun 18, 2018 05:43 PM
What Animal Does This?

To get them to move to a different location, I've tried this method and it actually works!!! No harm to the gophers... Take used cat litter / urine (not the poop). I use water soluble cat little, but any cat litter will work. Take the clump and put it into the gopher hole. The gopher will move to a different location. You might worry about the cat urine, but keep in mind the gopher urinates too !!!!

mtndriver Jun 18, 2018 10:39 AM
What Animal Does This?

We've been dealing with the little varmints (pocket gophers for sure) for as long as I can remember, and that is a very long time! You will find holes in other areas, but the piles of earth from their underground tunnels are pushed out little side tunnels to the surface. It can be difficult to find the main tunnels by digging from these, but look more carefully for small holes in other areas, and you'll be able to dig down to the main run, sometimes 18" underground. Then it's up to you how to deal with them.... We have a great blue heron who regularly visits our neighborhood, and a few cats and the occasional gopher snake, but there are literally thousands of gophers here, so it's a losing battle. Some people are great at trapping them. Poison is not a good idea--doesn't work and other animals are affected if they eat the gophers. They're pretty resilient. Small-hole chicken wire baskets to protect vulnerable shrubs and trees, etc. Every gardener has a favorite strategy, and some just give up!

Rto Jun 18, 2018 09:40 AM
What Animal Does This?

Classic pocket gophers. Probe with a metal rod a few inches around the indentation near the middle of the crescent. Eventually you'll "punch through". That's the main tunnel. Open it up and you'll find it heads off in two directions. Place one trap in each direction and WHAM! Look for new mounds so you know where they're most active. There's lots of information online, but this is the basic strategy.

Flicka Jun 18, 2018 09:29 AM
What Animal Does This?

We have sandy soil and the mounds can get huge when they fill in their hole. Also, when tunneling the gophers have to do something with the displaced soil so it comes above ground. If I can get to the hole before it's filled I set a trap it gets them in no time.

patrick Jun 18, 2018 09:02 AM
What Animal Does This?

I’ve had good luck with Victor ‘Black Box’ traps. Use them in pairs, aimed in opposite directions on the same tunnel (since you don’t know which side the bugger is on). Usually, I can catch the gopher within a day of seeing a fresh mound. Google the difference between gophers (plant eaters) and moles (insect eaters) and their mounds/tunnels. I try to catch the gophers but leave the moles alone. I bury the bodies in the tunnel complex to ward off the deceased’s friends.

ladylagomorph Jun 18, 2018 08:59 AM
What Animal Does This?

Someone just told me to pour your coffee grounds and left over coffee down their holes, and they leave. Before I knew that I just named them, called them "pets", and the weeds "plants and flowers" and was surprisingly more satisfied with our yard. Thankfully we moved. No yard. No gopher war zone, but I would definitely try the coffee trick, even though we don't drink it, I'd buy it just for the critters!

SBZZ Jun 18, 2018 08:24 AM
What Animal Does This?

DEEAHNA - Gophers bug me too but I have learned to live with them now that we no longer have our killer cat. Google mothballs and check their composition - naphthalene or 1,4-dichlorobenzene - both carcinogens. Suggest trying a non-toxic approach.

deeahna Jun 18, 2018 07:40 AM
What Animal Does This?

I read that putting mothballs in the holes makes the tunnels smell unpleasantly for the gophers and they leave. I gave it a go last week and I have seen no more mounds.

a-1531979711 Jun 17, 2018 07:32 PM
What Animal Does This?

Classic pocket gopher mounds. I recommend the use of a mackabie trap. Reminds me of the time my SB neighbor was chatting about her gopher problem. She said she loved that her cat took care of her gopher problem. I asked if she ever tried traps. She said she would never consider killing another creature. I scratched my head and walked off. We later moved to the Goleta foothills and our neighbors now loan each other traps for all kinds of critters.

Roger Jun 17, 2018 06:15 PM
What Animal Does This?

I poured Belindas vodka down a gopher hole once didn't see the little booger for 6 months...

MissBleu Jun 17, 2018 05:49 PM
What Animal Does This?

Also can some kind Edhat member instruct me on how one here in the future asks for a recommended Electrician?

a-1531979711 Jun 18, 2018 10:41 AM
What Animal Does This?

MissBleu, look on the front page of the Edhat site and if you click on the "news" menu at the top of the page you'll see there is a sub-menu and one of the choices is "referrals". You can post a request or look there for what you need.

MissBleu Jun 17, 2018 05:39 PM
What Animal Does This?

Can someone help Miss Bleu with recent plumber/ sewer drainage recommendations for the Baja Montectio region? Thanks!

Z Jun 17, 2018 05:28 PM
What Animal Does This?

Sure looks like you've got gophers. Call in the neighborhood fox, they're the best exterminators; they have great patience and they can dig . Egrets do a pretty good job. Domestic cats are hopeless, they like to maintain a private hunting reserve. Rattlesnakes can get rid of gophers too, but you may need to get a peacock to be rid of the rattlesnakes. Good Luck.

MissBleu Jun 17, 2018 03:31 PM
What Animal Does This?

If it’s any consolation, you are not alone. One of the first things we did decades ago was to give up the previous lawn and go with the flow... other ground cover and flagstones.

pstarSR Jun 17, 2018 03:14 PM
What Animal Does This?

gophers or moles. they both use "trash" holes to push dirt out that may not be an entrance or exit. they also travel quite far, and the entrance can be from someone else's yard or an adjacent open space.