Bobcat Sighting in Goleta

Bobcat Sighting in Goleta title=
Bobcat Sighting in Goleta

By an edhat reader

A backyard visitor last night in the Noleta foothills.

LDighera May 17, 2018 12:23 PM
Bobcat Sighting in Goleta

Here's a full-color video https://youtu.be/5gmRMssYEGc of the bob cat that walked through my More Mesa backyard one February 2013 morning looking for a cormorant breakfast; back then flocks of cormorants would roost on the bluff-top overlooking the Santa Barbara Channel. The cottontails have been multiplying the past seven years (since the disappearance of local coyotes), forcing me to fence the rabbits out of my vegetable garden and other landscaping. Hopefully, this predatory bob cat carnivore will restore the ecologic balance, unless some clueless pet-owner dispatches it.

Deerpoet May 16, 2018 07:07 PM
Bobcat Sighting in Goleta

I used my husbands Arlo Pro 2 camera from Best Buy. So glad you like the video!

a-1540124927 May 16, 2018 04:44 PM
Bobcat Sighting in Goleta

Great video. How fine to see this cat faring well. I second the NO PESTICIDES admonition. We are all so clueless about just how much spraying and application of pesticides is still taking place all over our County. Just last week (and I would have laughed if it wasn't so tragic) someone pointed out the "little green boxes" at Shoreline Park and told me "How nice that the City provides shelter for the squirrels." I had to inform that kindly person that the green boxes are, in fact, loaded with poison FOR the squirrels. Don't know if I was believed completely, but it just shows how little many of us know and "get" about the toxins our own Parks Dept and County Flood Control and such are spreading out in our parks, on our streets and near our creeks and trails.

paglinsb May 17, 2018 04:41 PM
Bobcat Sighting in Goleta

Hi. I'm happy to report that they not longer use the poison. Read this recently, but can't remember where. They mentioned that they stopped using them awhile back for the very reason that it's not a good idea to poison creatures up the food chain.

paglinsb May 16, 2018 11:24 AM
Bobcat Sighting in Goleta

Do you have a night vision motion camera? This is great! I saw one at dusk recently. Looked healthy with beautiful coat of spots and ringed tail, unlike one last summer that came by, thin and bedraggled, with scruffy faded coat.

biguglystick May 16, 2018 09:32 AM
Bobcat Sighting in Goleta

How WONDERFUL! I love our native wildlife and I love that we have bobcats. They are very elusive, I've not seen one in some time. What a great sighting. Please, people, don't use poisonous pesticides... they hurt wildlife like this guy.