Increase of Motor Homes on Westside

By an edhat subscriber

What's up with the explosion of motor homes on Portesuello? The city banned motorhomes in the city parking lots and now there's been an influx of them into the west side onto Portesuello and a recent increase in crime in the area. Not blaming anyone but just saying, keep an eye out neighbors.

Garth Jul 19, 2017 11:00 PM
Increase of Motor Homes on Westside

If the RV owners also had the temerity to serve food, you can bet the SB City Council and police would be all over it.

CivilEngineer Jul 18, 2017 12:17 PM
Increase of Motor Homes on Westside

The unusual thing about the RVs is that they all have disability license plates. Even the guy that uses his bike to get around the neighborhood and has a trash can next to his rig. I wonder if the new rules, if they ever actually apply them, will even apply to disabled people. Don't they have special parking rights? The section where they are parking along Portesuello has been known for overflow parking. Several weeks ago someone smashed some windows on those cars, and now some of them have moved to Monterey St. Randy Rouse is the Councilmember for that area and maybe he can help.

a-1506293842 Jul 19, 2017 08:04 PM
Increase of Motor Homes on Westside

If you have a disabled person parking placard or plate you can park indefinitely in time-limited (green) zones. You don't have to put money in most meters, and you get a longer free time at city lots. Those are the main perks. I can't see any reason why disabled people (and I am one) would be exempt from the oversize parking restrictions, as those are ostensibly a safety measure.

Roger Jul 18, 2017 09:02 AM
Increase of Motor Homes on Westside

Not really Montecito is changing it might be the newer Lower East Side pretty soon you must be talking about Hope Ranch.

Stray Jul 18, 2017 07:33 AM
Increase of Motor Homes on Westside

If the big rig parking problem dares to present itself in Montecito, you can be sure the neighborhood response will be fast, furious, coordinated and conclusive.

420722 Jul 17, 2017 05:44 PM
Increase of Motor Homes on Westside

Yea I walk by them all the time and ask everytime why they are still there!! I thought they were banned? Guess not but I sure get negative vibes and I smell cigarettes and filth when walking by. Sometimes we just cross the street.

Flicka Jul 17, 2017 03:59 PM
Increase of Motor Homes on Westside

Living in a family neighborhood and getting those big rigs parked on your street is horrible. For years we've had a sign, "No overnight camping" by the beach in our neighborhood and it has worked well.

a-1506293842 Jul 17, 2017 03:53 PM
Increase of Motor Homes on Westside

Just a guess, but might it be because they haven't put the "no oversize parking" signs up in that area yet? I've seen signs in some places, but not near my home on the Westside, off Micheltorena. I read that they won't be enforcing the oversize parking ban until September, but if I had a big vehicle, I'd be reluctant to park in an area with signs. Are there signs there yet?

Kcottrell Jul 18, 2017 07:56 AM
Increase of Motor Homes on Westside

I think that's exactly it. I called to report an RV that lives back by my house and was told that there was nothing police would do about it unless it didn't move for street sweeping. So it moves for three hours once a week, and the rest of the time just sits there, accumulating garbage around the outside, taking up parking, blocking driver's views on the street, and giving a big visual go-ahead to all the other campers in the area that our block is a-ok for street camping.