By an edhat subscriber

Sprouts posted a small sign in their Goleta store notifying people they could be filmed or photographed while shopping. There doesn't appear to be a way to opt of this or an official consent for their marketing or advertising besides not visiting their store. What do other edhatters think of this?

a-1511589868 Jul 18, 2017 05:48 PM
No Consent to Film in Sprouts?

SHOREBIRD I love you solution :-). I love Sprouts and shop there regularly. They can film me any time. Actually, I always assume that all stores film one way or another for security purposes. Never bothered me. It is nice of Sprouts to give warning so you can either enter of not depending on your mood (and maybe state of dress).

420722 Jul 18, 2017 11:33 AM
No Consent to Film in Sprouts?

@ Therealbebe. Good to know but how do they know how to contact those people to get the extra consent. That's kinda creepy to think they just know your info by taking your picture in the store? I'm just confused not trying to start a fight.

therealbebe Jul 18, 2017 02:10 PM
No Consent to Film in Sprouts?

In a professional shoot, there are numerous people watching the moniters while filming and real-time directing. When there is someone that interests us, we have a PA approach them while they are still in the store and ask them for their consent to possibly use the material. Sometimes they give it, sometimes they don't. Not sure if Sprouts is just turning on the cameras and has someone look through the footage after the fact. Bizarre.

therealbebe Jul 18, 2017 10:37 AM
No Consent to Film in Sprouts?

Flicka and Emi, you're right. I didn't realize that it's actually Sprouts doing the filming. I've worked in commercial production before, and the notices we put up are only for the days of the shoot and we are REQUIRED to gain additional written consent of the people that we film if we think we even remotely think we are going to use the footage. No written consent, no using it. This is very odd.

Garth Jul 18, 2017 08:42 AM
No Consent to Film in Sprouts?

The easiest way to deal with this problem is to avoid Sprouts if you don't want to be filmed or photographed. Send an email to Sprouts Farmers Market Corporate Office and let them know you disagree with their implied consent policy. Otherwise, just continue to shop there and remember to say "cheese" as you enter and leave.

a-1511589868 Jul 18, 2017 07:23 AM
No Consent to Film in Sprouts?

People seem to think that just b/c they put up a sign, that it's legit. Anyone can put up a sign, doesn't mean its legal. I'd like an attorney with knowledge of this area of law weigh in. Doesn't seem legit to me, going as far as actualy using your likeness in a film, ad, etc.

shorebird Jul 17, 2017 08:10 PM
No Consent to Film in Sprouts?

If you really want to shop at Sprouts and really don't want your image to be used there is a remedy. I suggest a too tight tube top, fishnet stockings over Daisy Duke's, too much make up, tattoos, oxygen tubing and a hover-round wheel chair. If you can manage to be 100 lbs overweight and male that would help too. Happy costuming Sprouts' shoppers.

EMI Photo Jul 17, 2017 07:34 PM
No Consent to Film in Sprouts?

THEREALBEBE: Instead of cooling my jets I will suggest you read more critically. It specifically states that by entering the store you consent that your image and voice can be used for" any and all advertising trade, or art purposes and in any and all publications and other advertising media without limitation or reservation." So yeah, I won't be setting foot in a Sprouts, ever.

Flicka Jul 17, 2017 07:14 PM
No Consent to Film in Sprouts?

Well, if they decide to use you in an ad, how do they know who you are and how to contact you for a consent form? Thanks to all who said "don't shop there" or shop somewhere else." Good advice! There are plenty of places to shop other than Sprouts.

therealbebe Jul 17, 2017 06:30 PM
No Consent to Film in Sprouts?

Cool your jets. The sign is a notice that by entering the store, you agree to be FILMED. If the production company wants to actually USE the footage of you, that requires a separate consent form. If you don't want to be filmed, shop somewhere else today.

a-1511589868 Jul 17, 2017 05:20 PM
No Consent to Film in Sprouts?

Combined with a recent encounter with a check-out clerk who told me how much he liked Trump, I think I'll just skip Sprouts for a while.

a-1511589868 Jul 17, 2017 03:56 PM
No Consent to Film in Sprouts?

I expect to be caught on camera these days, but I don't want a company using my image in their marketing without a more explicit consent--and maybe a store discount!

Flicka Jul 17, 2017 03:54 PM
No Consent to Film in Sprouts?

One year a movie was being filmed here and they wanted to film the Fiesta Parade to include parts in their movie. They had us all sign a consent form. If you send an article to a magazine (as I have done), you need to have permission from any people in photos you might include or they won't publish it. I agree with A-150, pay a model. If shopping there is "giving consent" I think that's bogus.

peawatt Jul 17, 2017 03:09 PM
No Consent to Film in Sprouts?

Small print is kinda hard to read, so here it is: "SFM, LLC (Sprouts Farmers Market) is currently filming and taking photographs. By entering our store, you understand and consent that you may appear on camera and that the reproduction and use of your photograph, image, voice or reproduction thereof, either whole or in part, may be used by SFM, LLC and its agents or assignees, for any and all advertising, trade, or art purposes and in any and all publications and other advertising media without limitation or reservation". Thank you for shopping at Sprouts!

Bug Girl Jul 17, 2017 03:04 PM
No Consent to Film in Sprouts?

I know that it's pretty much a given that with cell phone cameras and security cameras everywhere you could (and are) video'd and still photo'd everywhere you go, pretty much, but I have always disliked people taking my picture without permission. I have been to Sprouts twice, and the second time was when I noticed that posted up in the store. I haven't been back since.

shorebird Jul 17, 2017 02:51 PM
No Consent to Film in Sprouts?

You give consent if you go into the store after reading this notice. Don't want to be "famous?" Go to another market.

EMI Photo Jul 17, 2017 10:14 PM
No Consent to Film in Sprouts?

Shorebird, one of the things I found objectionable about this is that you give consent regardless of reading the sign. And the sign on the northern-most door was mostly obscured by other signage. While I really don't expect to end up on a commercial or other advertising materials, the fact that they are sneaking this contract past all of their shoppers makes me want to never set foot into a Sprouts again.

a-1511589868 Jul 17, 2017 02:42 PM
No Consent to Film in Sprouts?

Well, it isn't "no" consent. I find it lame, annoying, and CHEAP - pay some models $20, for goodness sake!