Butterflies at Ellwood in Goleta

Butterflies at Ellwood in Goleta title=
Butterflies at Ellwood in Goleta

By Robert Bernstein

I have been visiting the monarch butterflies at Ellwood Eucalyptus Grove in Goleta since the 1980s.

Numbers have gone down over the years, with almost none seen here two years ago. So, it is with great delight to see they are returning this year in good numbers!

Last year there was a moderately good return, but the butterflies were not in the Ellwood Main Grove. But this year, they are back in their old home at Ellwood Main Grove.

My wife and I walked from our condo to the grove on Sunday and here are a few photos that I took.

When you visit the grove, please be respectful of being in a nature preserve. It was disheartening to see so many people bringing unleashed dogs running loose into this area. Please do not do that.

I hope to be back again in the coming weeks and take more photos, but here are a few for now!

lovegoats Dec 03, 2022 10:41 AM
Butterflies at Ellwood in Goleta

Yay, loved that the butterflies are back. To me, they are one of the most beautiful creature in the planet and, yes unleashed dogs makes me uncomfortable as well...I believe nature preserves always requires dogs to be leashed. How much "entitlement" does anyone think he has, to have other people people put up with that and causing people's attention divided from completely just enjoying the moment to being vigilant as well...just in case the uncontrolled unleashed dog decides to go cuckoo. Telling somebody to "stop acting like a wannabe animal control officer when you see dogs off-leash" is irresponsible. There are just other people who don't like dogs and doesn't romanticize their existence so don't force it on us too... Leash that dog and have it under control. Otherwise, there should be no dogs allowed in any nature preserve!

Alexblue Dec 02, 2022 05:14 PM
Butterflies at Ellwood in Goleta

LOL! My dog is one of the sweetest, most loved dogs you will ever meet in your life. Until another dog gets aggressive or violent and then my dog will do the job it was bred for.

And my dog is RESPONSIBLY owned and handled.

If you own a dog and you are irresponsible and you let it run around and it gets violent then I feel sorry for YOUR dog and for you.

a-1670003655 Dec 02, 2022 09:54 AM
Butterflies at Ellwood in Goleta

Thank you, Robert. The numbers are down everywhere, so we are very fortunate.
We should take care and protect them. They are down on the ground.

a-1670000860 Dec 02, 2022 09:07 AM
Butterflies at Ellwood in Goleta

Butterflies also fall down to the ground or come down to get moisture. Dogs in this area are therefore destructive.

Basicinfo805 Dec 01, 2022 07:07 PM
Butterflies at Ellwood in Goleta

Yeah, if this is turning into the off Leah debate I’ll tell ya this - 95% of dog owners who think their dogs are “ok” are frickin clueless. Very few have spent the time, energy, and money to train their dogs. See it everyday….

a-1669931385 Dec 01, 2022 01:49 PM
Butterflies at Ellwood in Goleta

Dogs off-leash will have zero effect on the butterflies. I wish you'd get over your aversion. Also stop acting like a wannabe animal control officer when you see dogs off-leash.

Alexblue Dec 01, 2022 06:58 PM
Butterflies at Ellwood in Goleta

Oh my God, STFU. I'm a dog owner with a very big and not terribly social dog. If your off leash dog gets in my dog's face, you better have a shovel because you'll be digging a dog sized hole.

Keeping your dog on a leash protects EVERYONE.

Shasta Guy Dec 01, 2022 06:49 PM
Butterflies at Ellwood in Goleta

Someone I know was horrifically mauled by an off leash dog near there just recently. Life changing injuries. I hope that dog is put down and the owner is sued.

Shasta Guy Dec 01, 2022 08:47 AM
Butterflies at Ellwood in Goleta

What a wonderful way to start the day! Thanks for sharing! I saw the big back up of southbound traffic on 101 in Goleta, and those pictures would definitely bring calm to those frustrated drivers.