By an edhat reader

My neighbors and I have been wondering, what is that large metal structure off Patterson Ave and Highway 101 south?

Does anyone know what it will be?

krichards Nov 30, 2022 11:09 AM
Metal Structure off Patterson?

I believe you're referring to the Schwan's self-storage facility, which is at the terminus of South Kellogg Ave in Old Town. The property is a narrow strip of land squeezed between the 101 and the railroad. Kudos to the owner for utilizing this challenging piece of land.

Chip of SB Nov 30, 2022 05:11 PM
Metal Structure off Patterson?

I’m with you KRichards. Someone really made the most out of a difficult piece of real estate. It’s no easy task around here since so many people are opposed to anything new. I can’t believe people consider a beautiful new building to be a blight on the trashed out, encampment covered, and largely burned out siding between the freeway and the train tracks. Reading some of the comments here you’d think they filled in the bird refuge or something.

Cabomark Dec 01, 2022 05:43 AM
Metal Structure off Patterson?

Better a self-storage building than a homeless encampment - I would be concerned about the security of the area though

Channelfog Nov 30, 2022 12:27 PM
Metal Structure off Patterson?

That real estate is so pricey that folks cannot afford barns, basements etc to store their stuff allows this ugly and lucrative industry unlimited opportunity. This is an extremely profitable biz. We paid thousands....

evered Dec 01, 2022 12:05 PM
Metal Structure off Patterson?

I, in fact, totally agree. We need legal campgrounds that are patrolled by security and dare I say, fire fighters. It's crazy what I see in Seattle. People, THIS IS NOT that. :D Best to all my homies today. Merry Christmas!

Basicinfo805 Nov 30, 2022 12:59 PM
Metal Structure off Patterson?

Bummer because it looks terrible. I have been wondering the same for months. Thx for filling us in. Total eyesore.

Stray Nov 30, 2022 03:44 PM
Metal Structure off Patterson?

Storing excess stuff in one's garage: looks terrible to the owner but is free. Storing stuff in a private company's metal shed by the freeway: looks terrible to the public but the owner pays and the lessor makes money. Karl Marx wrote "capitalism is the invention of false need." By the looks of it, we sure store a lot of stuff as needy first world capitalists.......

Sbloc23 Dec 01, 2022 07:31 AM
Metal Structure off Patterson?

If you saw what it looked like for years before you would say it's an improvement. Storage is expensive but less then renting a place large enough to hold your stuff in this town.

ParvoPup Nov 30, 2022 08:05 PM
Metal Structure off Patterson?

I'm of the opinion that if you need to rent a place to store your stuff...you have too much stuff.

I was the happiest when everything I owned fit in one car load.

I tell my wife that the day is fast approaching when a roll-off dumpster shows up in the driveway and I have a big shovel in my hands.

If you haven't seen it or used it in 10 years - you don't need it anymore.

She still won't let me conduct the Great Purge O'Crap.

AQUAHOLIC Dec 01, 2022 07:59 AM
Metal Structure off Patterson?

"That’s all you need in life, a little place for your stuff. That’s all your house is: a place to keep your stuff. If you didn’t have so much stuff, you wouldn’t need a house. You could just walk around all the time. A house is just a pile of stuff with a cover on it. You can see that when you’re taking off in an airplane. You look down, you see everybody’s got a little pile of stuff. All the little piles of stuff. And when you leave your house, you gotta lock it up. Wouldn’t want somebody to come by and take some of your stuff. They always take the good stuff. They never bother with that crap you’re saving. All they want is the shiny stuff. That’s what your house is, a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get…more stuff!" ~ George Carlin

a-1670098924 Dec 03, 2022 12:22 PM
Metal Structure off Patterson?

Glad someone posted just what I was thinking when I first read this yesterday!
If you need storage you have too much damn stuff!

OrvGull Dec 08, 2022 01:36 PM
Metal Structure off Patterson?

The priorities here are AMAZING.

"Hi, I'd like to build an apartment building so people have a place to live."
'Sorry, after 57 rounds of design review we've determined that your arches are slightly the wrong shape, your parking lot is too big, and there isn't enough parking. CANCELED.'

"Hi, I'd like to build a bike path so people don't have to ride on a road with high-speed traffic."
'Oooh, sorry, but this environmental review shows you'd be cutting down a tree that one of our residents says is her dog's favorite tree to urinate on. CANCELED.'

"Hi, I'd like to build a giant corrugated-metal building for people to store their spare furniture in while their kids wait to inherit it."
'My god man, why are you still standing here? You must start building this immediately! The uglier the better!'