By an edhat reader

Wow! Really loud jets just flew over downtown Santa Barbara (around 10:40 am Thursday).

What kind were they? Special mission or training?

Gimli Aug 19, 2022 09:59 AM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

I love the sound of loud roaring military jets early in the morning! I reside within the 1200 block of State St. and I heard them loud and clear. I sure do miss the sound of sonic booms from military jets. I do remember those beautiful sounds back in the 60's when I was attending Franklin School. (Maybe they were on a military mission to do a strafe on traitor Trump's home in Mar-a-Lago. Wishful thinking.)

Babycakes Aug 19, 2022 09:31 AM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

I was lucky enough to work on Clairemont Mesa Blvd back in the early 80s and used to watch the F-15s fly in "circles" for hours on end. I believe they were practicing their landings at Miramar NAS (no longer in San Diego....moved to Fallon, NV) where an outline of an aircraft carrier painted on the runway. Mid 80s I had nearly front-row seats out of my office window at Moffett Field in Mountain View. P3s constantly flying to/from missions and U2 planes taking off each day was pure entertainment. Moffett also had air shows, so for a couple days beforehand, the Blue Angels would practive their entire show....it was absolutely amazing as you could clearly see the aviators in their cockpits. It's funny to watch 'Top Gun' with 2022 eyes and have a good laugh at Tom Cruise playing the role of 'Maverick' (he'd be last person who'd have the fortitude/will to make it as a fighter pilot as "goobers" like him are quickly weeded out).

BTW, if you've never seen the Red Bull helicopter in action, all I can say is OHHHHH-EMMMMM-GEEEEE!!! This amazing helicopter is scheduled to fly at 2:15 PM on both days (I think it's both days). Do NOT be on the freeway during this act as people freak out and slow to a crawl or pull over on the side of the road because it's that amazing.

a-1660943681 Aug 19, 2022 02:14 PM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

F-15s would not be landing at Miramar. They aren't USN/USMC aircraft.

Mebk Aug 19, 2022 08:24 AM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

I love the sound of the military jets. Sorry I was indoors and missed it. I’m thankful to know they are near

montecito_matt Aug 19, 2022 07:52 AM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

The sound of of freedom, America! Wake up and be thankful Santa Barbara, hear them roar and know that we are still a free country.

a-1660917128 Aug 19, 2022 06:52 AM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

I was downtown Santa Barbara when it happened, it sounded like an earthquake roaring through . Why on earth would our government allow military to come through that low, one of our leaders should comment tell us why this happened

edney Aug 18, 2022 11:30 PM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

When I was young they used to fly over town fast enough to set off sonic booms, so today wasn't loud by those standards

Getoffmylawn Aug 18, 2022 09:40 PM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

Go live in San Diego. Flight training all night. Santa barbara has so many complainers

Shasta Guy Aug 18, 2022 08:27 PM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

I heard the first one, but it was gone before I could spot it. I then heard the second one approaching and it was basically above me probably no more than 500’ in the air. I saw the underbelly very clearly with its dual engines for about 2 seconds.

a-1660881534 Aug 18, 2022 08:58 PM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

Both the F-15 and the F/A-18 have twin engines and twin vertical stabilizers, so neither one of those is a definitive characteristic. What is definitive is that the twin vertical stabilizers on the F-15 are actually vertical, whereas on the F/A-18 they are canted slightly to the sides.

fitz Aug 18, 2022 07:05 PM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

I happened to be in SB today. That noise was awful. No way that should be happening over residential areas. I live in Lompoc where some of that is expected. I have never heard anything that loud and that LOW. This is not funny. Fireworks are bad enough. Military fly boys should not be doing there thing over homes anywhere.

forrealnews Aug 18, 2022 06:26 PM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

That was crazy loud! Imagine living in a war zone with that going on constantly. I know they can't always tell citizens ahead of time for security purposes, but it would be nice to know more after the fact. It would also be nice to have video and pictures for those of use who were stuck inside and couldn't see it.

oops Aug 18, 2022 05:21 PM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

getting ready for the invasion of the Chinese communists or more of their virus!

MarcelK Aug 19, 2022 08:24 PM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

Military jets against COVID (which is not "their" virus, any more than the Spanish flu, which apparently actually started in Kansas, was "our" virus) ... how exactly does that work?

tagdes Aug 18, 2022 03:20 PM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

Also a military jet east of and a P-3 Orion south of here coming from Hunter Liggett.

tagdes Aug 18, 2022 03:14 PM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

Since then there has been 2 C-130s, at least 4 military copters, one each of a Blackhawk and an H135 from Coronado and a second Osprey just after 3pm.

ScannerAndrew Aug 18, 2022 01:27 PM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

A military sikorsky helicopter just flew over SB heading down the coast at 1:25 PM

ScannerAndrew Aug 18, 2022 01:09 PM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

If MP805 did see "PHT41" then that probably these were F-15s from the CA ANG, 144th Fighter Wing from Fresno. The PHAT callsign is used for NORAD missions. Not likely training flights.

bjgreen Aug 18, 2022 11:50 AM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

I believe I just saw the Osprey (aircraft) flying over the Mesa from south to north.

mp805 Aug 18, 2022 11:46 AM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

Kimon R - Flight Radar 24 Website showed them originating from the San Francisco area and flight path was down the coast then up over our mountains before disappearing

bjgreen Aug 18, 2022 11:38 AM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

Should we stock up on canned goods and toilet paper again? ;)

Kimon R Aug 18, 2022 11:32 AM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

Flew low right in front of our deck. F15s - very cool! Maybe returning from an air show up north?

Snorky Aug 18, 2022 11:49 AM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

Cool, thanks, and to Shasta Guy, would have been nice to see them.

xlrant Aug 18, 2022 04:08 PM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

Yes seeing also now possibly that same advers squad of 3 toward the mex boarder. Gonna call it warhames training.

Snorky Aug 18, 2022 11:32 AM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

my money is also F-18...from Mugu. I was seeing a couple of ATAC (Airborne Tactical Advantage Company) planes (Kfir and Hawker Hunter) landing at Mugu shortly after the fly by (although they did come from different direction).

montecito_matt Aug 18, 2022 11:14 AM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

Intercepting Russian or Chinese aircraft off our coast?

Shasta Guy Aug 18, 2022 11:01 AM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

I saw the the second one from below as it passed over my office in Goleta. I think they were F-15s because I saw the twin engines.

mp805 Aug 18, 2022 10:53 AM

Flightradar24 website ID was "PHT41" but no other plane details

dw2000 Aug 18, 2022 10:52 AM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

Just came to post I heard them as well… didn't get outside quick enough to see but sounded like military.

a-1660845080 Aug 18, 2022 10:51 AM
Loud Jets Over Downtown?

Heard them but couldn't see them, definitely military and they didn't show up on flightaware.