Walking Stick Bug title=

By an edhat reader

A stick bug was on the trim of our back door this morning, and it was still there when I got home this evening. This is only the second time I have seen one. It appears to be lying low until dark when it can slink away.

It’s about 4” (100mm) long based on my finger. Are these common here?

By Rebecca Rae

Here are photos of my walking stick terrarium colony. They are all female and are from a single specimen I was gifted about 15 years ago!

Ahchooo Aug 16, 2022 02:34 PM
Walking Stick Bug

I have never seen one here. Would love to. What is the flora like in your area?

pstarSR Aug 16, 2022 02:40 PM

I have seen one or two in my time here, which has been 42yrs

lucky you, cause they got good camoflage

chico berkeley Aug 16, 2022 04:21 PM
Walking Stick Bug

Do you mean a walking stick?

Snorky Aug 17, 2022 06:38 AM
Walking Stick Bug

Found this info. Interesting, would love to see a native one. Hope link works

Snorky Aug 17, 2022 06:40 AM
Walking Stick Bug

If it does not work, it's the University of California agriculture and natural resources, statewide integrated pest management program.
Hope this helps

Shasta Guy Aug 17, 2022 07:12 AM
Walking Stick Bug

Original poster here. I sent in a photo which did not get included. This is in the upper East near Roosevelt school. Lots of citrus, Eugenia hedges, and etc. the bug was brown like a stick, the diameter of a pencil, and it had sets of legs resembling the rear ones like a grasshopper. It was trying to hide in plain sight, and doing a very good job of it.

Edhat Staff Aug 17, 2022 07:54 AM
Walking Stick Bug

@Shasta, we didn't receive a photo. Can you resend it to info@edhat.com?
ed staff

Shasta Guy Aug 17, 2022 08:54 AM
Walking Stick Bug

Thanks for letting me know, the images should arrive soon.

Snoodely Aug 17, 2022 09:07 AM
Walking Stick Bug

I can attach a picture of one that lives in my Gynura procumbens plants — a most welcome denizen!

/Users/loriendavy/Documents/Pictures/My Photos & Art/Critters/Bugs/Stick Insect on Gynura Procumbens/P1070384-lo.jpg

bicyclist Aug 17, 2022 09:25 AM
Walking Stick Bug

Snoodely - odd... I have not myself been able to post pics, hey but you gave it a shot... (& how many folders/pics are in the "Bugs" folder?) as we're all waiting with bated breath for the "promised" pictures! (from ShastaGuy?) "By an edhat reader"....

Snoodely Aug 17, 2022 12:33 PM
Walking Stick Bug

Yeah … I could not post my picture of the bug, and now I cannot delete my post!

a-1660765920 Aug 17, 2022 12:52 PM
Walking Stick Bug

Snood, you posted where this picture is stored on your computer. No one can see it but you. The image would need to be posted on a public website and their server (like edhat) for it to be seen by everyone.

RebeccaRae Aug 17, 2022 01:03 PM
Walking Stick Bug

I have a colony in my bedroom in a terrarium and I release the little ones on occasion. Mine are all female and are from a single specimen I was gifted about 15 years ago! It’s great to read everybody’s interest in Edhat.

biguglystick Aug 17, 2022 06:02 PM
Walking Stick Bug

I LOVE this! I have only seen them twice in this area in the last 40 plus years. Thanks for the post!

RebeccaRae Aug 17, 2022 09:55 PM
Walking Stick Bug

They are nocturnal and move like crazy at night. If you need some as pets just let me know. Very low maintenance and wonderful to watch.

Shasta Guy Aug 17, 2022 10:57 PM

Rebecca, you are Groots!

The first mature Stick Bug to visit my yard was a little battle weary because it was missing a couple legs. The specimen this was was fully intact. Neither my small dog or birds spotted it while it was on the door trim all day.