By an edhat reader

Can someone please explain how 10 year old kids are allowed to drive fully functional motorcycles on city streets and sidewalks?

Basicinfo805 Aug 11, 2022 07:43 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

That’s a good call - but they won’t. The parents are freestyle “all me” - and so shall be their kids. You reap what you sow. It’ll probably take some kid or adult getting plowed down on Cliff Drive in front of a crowd to get some attention.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with e-bikes. They’re great.

SBLetsGetAlong Aug 11, 2022 05:57 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

Wow, so much politicization of an issue that has nothing to do with politics. Welcome to the new world.
Primary issue is that kids are not taught the rules of the road. Most adult bikers ignore stop signs & cross walks too.
Guess the kids are emulating the adults on bikes.
So teach bicycle riders the rules of the road adults and children.

Simpleton Aug 10, 2022 02:20 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

My beef is that a large number of ebikes are poorly made and have undersized brakes relative to their power. Add young riders with no experience in riding motor-driven cycles, rules of the road, etc. and it's a recipe for disaster. That said, they're a ton of fun. But there are some very tragic stories. First come the lawsuits and then come the legislation. Check the story regarding the death of a 12 year old girl in Pacific Palisades: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-pacific-palisades-girl-was-killed-in-an-electric-bike-crash-her-parents-see-greater-danger/ar-AA10lhdF

edney Aug 10, 2022 01:17 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

Forgot to say that some kids are "free range" because their parents are clueless. The "free range" kids on stolen e-bikes are free range due to parental malignancy

ljmdance Aug 10, 2022 12:09 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

Until/unless the rules of the road for bikes, cars and pedestrians are changed, bikes don't belong on the sidewalk. If it's not safe to ride a bike on Cliff Dr., perhaps they shouldn't be riding bikes on Cliff Dr.

KarmaSB Aug 10, 2022 09:47 AM
Juvenile Motorsports

LOL where are you getting your facts from? They are 10 years old? They are on motorcycles riding on the sidewalks? Boy you sure blew that one up. They are junior high and high school and college kids and adults and they are riding electric bikes which have been available for the past 5 years. Did you just step outside for the first time in many years? Weird...

mm1970 Aug 10, 2022 09:17 AM
Juvenile Motorsports

Are they really 10 year old kids? I mean, my kid is 10 - so I know what 10 year old kids look like. I would guess that most of the kids that I see are at least junior high age - 12+.

And you are correct - they go too fast, don't follow the rules of the road, I've almost gotten run over down by the beach when dropping my 10 yo off at camp.

edney Aug 10, 2022 09:01 AM
Juvenile Motorsports

You are correct that laws always lag technology and that is a good thing.
The person upthread who mentioned free range children is also correct. Many parents are committed to raising their children without swaddling them in bubble wrap. Some of the kids are not up to the challenges yets, others will need extraordinary good fortune, and most will be just fine once they mature.
In order to have a free and vibrant youth, we are going to have to put up with some hiccups... which has been true since humans first reproduced

ljmdance Aug 10, 2022 10:37 AM
Juvenile Motorsports

Karma, I actually did. I was running on a sidewalk when a couple of them came up behind me and tried to pass me without enough room to make it safe (or comfortable for a pedestrian). I spoke to a couple of kids respectfully and explained that on bikes (ebikes) they should not be on the sidewalk, but on the street/in the bike path. Their response was "there's no bike path." (this was going up Cliff Dr hill) So I explained that if there's no bike path the rules of the road are that bikes ride in the street, not on sidewalks. Then they continued talking back to me, so my polite wore thin. I told them to get off the sidewalk and watched them do so, suggesting that they ask their parents to explain rules of the road. 20min later the same kids were back on the same sidewalk. It's a multifaceted issue/problem: some parents aren't teaching their kids the rules, some kids don't do what they're taught, and some kids are snots. When I'm running on the recreational/bike paths some of the motorized bikes come by so fast that I can't hear them until they almost swipe me.

KarmaSB Aug 10, 2022 09:50 AM
Juvenile Motorsports

yeah and that's called being a parent. like many of you, i grew up in the 70s and 80s. skinned knees, bloody knuckles, road rash on the chin. Those were earned. Big wheels jumping off launch ramps at the bottom of a hill, skateboarding in ditches, playing a game called bloody knuckles, getting 10 foot air on a bmx bike and eating dirt upon landing. That's called life and growing up in So Cal. Kids on E-bikes are missing out on those things as well as exercise, and that's my only complaint about Ebikes. Let kids be kids. I'm around the ebike gang every day. I know many of those kids. They are very good kids and have manners. Have you actually stopped and talked with one? Most of them are very polite....

el_smurfo Aug 10, 2022 08:41 AM
Juvenile Motorsports

Laws always lag technology. You should be asking why parents allow such dangerous activities? There are roving gangs of kids on these high powered ebikes in every neighborhood, causing close calls for themselves and others daily.

el_smurfo Aug 10, 2022 04:09 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

Our bikes didn't do 30mph in the traffic lanes. Our bikes didn't weight 80lbs.

SBSand Aug 10, 2022 06:47 AM
Juvenile Motorsports

The police haven't been defunded so much as they are severely underpaid and can't afford to live here so what is the point of working in SB if you have to commute and can get paid similarly somewhere else where you can actually afford to live? The cost of living here is to the detriment of everyone except for landlords. And it is showing more and more each year with the vacancies downtown, the increase in crime, and with the increase in local homelessness.

Being able to do whatever you want without getting consequences for it is the issue here, and people will push to find the limits so when there aren't any then they simply do whatever they feel like. Those kids need to be ticketed like MY generation was if they rode skateboards downtown!

ljmdance Aug 10, 2022 12:06 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

I agree - ticket them. The "no consequences for our behavior" thing isn't working very well.

Voice of Reason Aug 10, 2022 11:23 AM
Juvenile Motorsports

Here @ 8:29 https://www.noozhawk.com/article/santa_barbara_police_departments_future_means_fewer_cops1

KarmaSB Aug 10, 2022 09:52 AM
Juvenile Motorsports

??? they are out there working 12 hour shifts fighting crime and keeping you and your family safe and you wanna complain that they get paid a decent wage for risking their lives? wow...i personally know MANY SBPD officers. They are far from well off.

mm1970 Aug 10, 2022 09:18 AM
Juvenile Motorsports

I think the point is that "six figure salaries" won't necessarily pay a rent/ mortgage here anymore.

a-1660145394 Aug 10, 2022 08:29 AM
Juvenile Motorsports

SBSAND, Where did you get the idea that the police are underpaid? Have you looked at Transparent California to see how many police personnel are paid in six figure salaries plus benefits plus early retirement (second only to the Fire Department pay)?

twobits Aug 09, 2022 11:00 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

As motorized vehicles, they should require a license. Kids don't know the rules of the road, nor do they realize what happens when the helmet isn't buckled... I'm surprised parents don't care more.

twobits Aug 10, 2022 11:09 AM
Juvenile Motorsports

I guess you haven't been cut off by a couple kids turning left in front of you without bothering to stop at their stop sign. I guess you haven't seen kids, two to a bike, blasting down Cliff Drive toward Las Positas with their helmets unbuckled. You may say "less government," but I wouldn't be surprised if you were the first to file a lawsuit when your child gets hurt.

twobits Aug 10, 2022 11:09 AM

KarmaSB Aug 10, 2022 09:53 AM
Juvenile Motorsports

no they should not. it's a bicycle. we do not need to add more government and more taxes and more freedoms being stripped away from us or our kids. they are kids on bikes, just get over it already. my god you people just wank and cry over everything

ConservativeSB Aug 09, 2022 09:38 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

The same people who complain that kids don’t play outside like they did when they grew up are now complaining that kids are playing outside

SBCountyLocal Aug 09, 2022 07:05 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

Make a public comment at the next City Council meeting (2pm Tuesdays in person or by Zoom) and send an email to the Council and Police (SBCityCouncil@SantaBarbaraCA.Gov, Clerk@SantaBarbaraCA.Gov, ERagdle@sbpd.com) requesting 1) No ebikes on the State Street "Promenade", 2) Meaningful outreach and ENFORCEMENT, and 3) That Council Members re-engage wih the "bike" communityand schools to educate kids AND parents. - You have to do more than post on Edhat and you need to be the squeaky wheel...

a-1660203329 Aug 11, 2022 12:35 AM
Juvenile Motorsports

10:06 - I guess you're unaware of traffic laws.

Sail380 Aug 10, 2022 10:06 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

Start by policing your own KarmaSB. As I have to cross the center divider to avoid a group of cyclist riding outside of their cherished bike lane.

KarmaSB Aug 10, 2022 10:03 AM
Juvenile Motorsports

enforcement? you mean keeping pedestrians out of the clearly marked bike lanes? that would be a great help, because then us bike riders won't have to exit the bike lanes and into oncoming ped traffic everytime some self absorbed person on their phone steps into a bike lane. these are not multi use lanes. they are clearly marked lanes for bikes only. this is how you control traffic in a mixed use area. If more people would just stay the heck out of the bike lanes, there would be much less grief over this topic. it's very simple. i've resorted to using my sailing air horn on my bike. Simply being polite and saying on your left/right or please exit the bike lane doesn't work. getting flipped off by some tool with a groomed beard while hes talking on the phone and walking in the middle of the bike path is a pain, watching every cyclist swerve out of the lane and ride into areas where people SHOULD be walking is too much of a problem and does cause accidents. too many of you want to be super passive aggressive about this topic. Let me pose this question, would you do this on the 101? How about on Los Positas? Highly doubt you would. Stepping in a lane marked for bikes will not only get you hurt, and a cyclist, but you could end up with a lawsuit. the lanes are clearly marked. this shouldnt even have to be a topic.

GeneralTree Aug 09, 2022 06:39 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

Randy Rowse has done nothing to address the issue. To busy at martini parties and ribbon cuttings.

ParvoPup Aug 09, 2022 06:14 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

Darn Free-Range kids always getting the old fogeys up in arms.

Call the cops!
Alert the media!
They should DO SOMETHING!

Thank the dog I grew up outside of the city where a kid could be a kid without giving some old phart palpitations.

AwareHuman Aug 09, 2022 06:12 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

The word on the street :these youngins say/yell: "The WOKE will protect us ..."

a-1660162599 Aug 10, 2022 01:16 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

How is that any different to those saying "Jesus will protect us..."? Wokeness and religion are just different faces of the same coin; self righteousness gone amuck.

KarmaSB Aug 10, 2022 10:04 AM
Juvenile Motorsports

they ride their ebikes to locations to skateboard. at least the pack of kids i always see do.

mm1970 Aug 10, 2022 09:19 AM
Juvenile Motorsports

Being on an E-bike at least uses more energy than sitting on a couch playing a video game. I at least see a few kids on E-bikes on their way to go to the beach or to play sports.

Basicinfo805 Aug 09, 2022 02:16 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

Sounds like we need more public and political support to fund the police…if you’re so inclined. They can’t be everywhere and do everything at once. Plus, the “localSB” ninnies will be ready in a frickin HEARTBEAT to dog on the police officers if it was their kid that got rousted. Mesa parents - I’m talking about you….

SBLetsGetAlong Aug 11, 2022 05:48 PM

GT
Where does it state Rep r against kids having fun? Is the poster of this thread a Rep?

GeneralTree Aug 09, 2022 07:26 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

Focus on ridding the streets of gangs and aggressive homeless. Worry about kids on your lawn later. Funny the Republicans hate watching kids have fun. I remember kids riding dirt bikes all over town when I was a kid and nobody cared. Now you guys freak out of bike and skateboards and are all behind crosswalk stings. Right wing helicopter parents - put those kids in a bubble.

a-1660084255 Aug 09, 2022 03:30 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

GOP is pro-police unless it's the Capitol Police or, as of this week, the FBI.

Voice of Reason Aug 09, 2022 03:14 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

A troll says what? Show us where Basic805 said SB police were defunded. Trolls just gonna lie and troll - it's all the have.

Basicinfo805 Aug 09, 2022 03:07 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

I never said that but you and I do know that it’s a movement right? Or have you been asleep for 5 years?

And are you then saying I’m wrong that there’s only so much our police force can do? Look back at the issue the reader posted - it’s legitimate.

GeneralTree Aug 09, 2022 02:29 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

Show us where the Santa Barbara police were defunded. Repugs just lie and troll - it's all they have.

a-1660079090 Aug 09, 2022 02:04 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

The big ones you're talking about, where the kids do not have to pedal in order for the electric motor to kick in, are NOT legal on sidewalks or dedicated bike paths like the one along Las Positas. They are only legal on the street, in the bike lane.

I do not and will not ever understand why the police are not giving tickets NOW for this illegal riding on the sidewalks and the lack of helmets on these child cyclists, before something happens. In my opinion, when (not if!) one of these children are hit and killed, the police and the parents have blood on their hands.

These kids are a menace and ticketing them is the only way they are going to stop before a serious accident occurs. I feel preemptively sorry for whoever it is that hits and kills one of these kids, no fault of their own. It's coming. SBPD, please do something about this before it's too late.

Britinsb Aug 10, 2022 03:27 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

If it's within the City, there is no cycling on sidewalks period, whether regular or e-bikes.
Otherwise Class 1 and 2 e-bikes (i.e. pedal-assist or throttle-operated but capped at 20mph) are allowed anywhere that regular bikes are allowed, so can choose either the road or bike paths.

ljmdance Aug 10, 2022 12:15 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

Thank you for this. Are you able to clarify "Class 2 electric bikes (throttle-operated and limited to 20mph) are allowed to use bike paths like the Las Positas path" for me? I see they are "allowed" to use the bike paths; are they REQUIRED to do so (ie, disallowed on sidewalks)?

Britinsb Aug 09, 2022 04:37 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

Not entirely correct - cycling on the sidewalks in the City is 100% illegal (SBMC 10.52.030), though its allowed in County jurisdiction for under-15s.

Class 2 electric bikes (throttle-operated and limited to 20mph) are allowed to use bike paths like the Las Positas path, it's only Class 3 e-bikes (pedal assist and limited to 28mph), which are also not permitted for under-16s, that are not permitted to use bike lanes that aren't connected to a roadway, unless otherwise permitted by the local jurisdiction. (Vehicle Code 312.5(a)(3) and 21207.5)

Thomas John Aug 09, 2022 02:07 PM
Juvenile Motorsports

They should require and license and insurance too. I'm guessing they put pedals on them so they are not regulated like a moped would be.

Pages