More neighborhood explosions/fireworks

By an edhat reader

I'm in Hope/La Cumbre area, closer to State St. than Foothill. Seems to come from the foothills. John Wiley, have you heard them?

Sat. Aug. 6, around 1:20 a.m. (feels like Friday night)
Far away from me, but never heard anything like this before. 13 booms in a row!  Like counting off, all heard in about 20 seconds.
And there was a single large boom closer to 2 a.m. I realize my description of 13 booms/retorts describes gunfire. I admit I cannot tell the difference. Nor can 90% of the SB community.  But I've never  heard that kind of repetition. The fireworks that go on have nothing to do with visuals, it's all about sound, boom and shock value. Grrrrr....  But they never come in a series of close to or over ten.

9:05 p.m. Sat. Aug. 6:
It's going on RIGHT NOW! many explosions in a row. Pretty faint, fully audible, like it comes from the foothills above Foothill Rd.

Any input from neighbors? I'm  not on Nextdoor. As I said, never  heard so many explosive sounds at one time, especially in a row. I'd love to hear others' observations.

Lucky 777 Aug 07, 2022 09:45 AM
More neighborhood explosions/fireworks

At the West end of Valerio Canyon there is at least one HUGE loud explosion every night. Anywhere from 9PM up into the wee hours, just BANG! My knowledgeable neighbor assures me they are fireworks, not guns, and he says he's actually seen one aerial display when he happened to look out of a window. It is abrupt, and annoying, but I mostly worry that the hillsides here are heavily wooded and could spark off.

mm1970 Aug 08, 2022 10:27 AM
More neighborhood explosions/fireworks

I've never heard these, but I go to bed at 9. Our area (Valerio canyon) is a high fire risk area. Why are people stupid?

GeneralTree Aug 07, 2022 06:14 PM
More neighborhood explosions/fireworks

Been like this for a couple decades that I can remember. Leftover fireworks get set off after the 4th. Those lighting them off disappear before the cops come. Age old game. Don't see why this is so hard for some people to understand. Yeah it sucks - yeah it could be dangerous - so what can be done about it? Seeing that it's been happening for decades, probably not a lot.

a-1660046416 Aug 09, 2022 05:00 AM
More neighborhood explosions/fireworks

I wrote in about it because I have never heard 13 reports (an explosive noise) in rapid succession.
Of course I, like everyone else, is accustomed to the early morning fireworks.

And those crazed 3 a.m. motorcylists...

PitLocal Aug 08, 2022 09:27 AM
More neighborhood explosions/fireworks

I live in the Hope/ LaCumbre area, and I'm a lifelong firework aficionado. But, in all my enthusiasm for fireworks and patience for those likeminded souls such as myself, I have never thought that lighting off loud report fireworks in residential neighborhoods is a good idea. These late night fireworks have been happening for months now. Even for me, I find it confusing as to whether it's gunshots or fireworks, and it wakes up and scares my kids. Whoever is setting these fireworks off needs to be busted. They have long since worn out their welcome.

ChillinGrillin Aug 08, 2022 02:34 PM
More neighborhood explosions/fireworks

Someone in San Roque keeps setting off a single loud firework around 2-3am. If the police don't handle it soon, I will.

Babycakes Aug 09, 2022 12:31 PM
More neighborhood explosions/fireworks

ChillinGrillin: I don't think that there's much that anyone can do to stop all of the boom-boom-booms in town. A city our size should have some sort of triangulation system set up in order to identify gunfire and totally illegal fireworks. In my neighborhood I k-n-o-w who is setting of at least some of the dry-ice bombs, but I don't dare snitch on them. One guy did snitch, and ever since that time he's had nothing but problems with tire flats, balloons filled with bleach tossed at his home, "missing" cat, and the unsettling markings found on the sidewalk outside his house. Don't be a hero and end up in the hospital or worse over some loud noises....it ain't worth it!!!