Police Response in San Roque Neighborhood

Update: Santa Barbara City Firefighters respond to a residential structure fire. Read the updated report here.

By an edhat reader

Police responded with lights and sirens (Code 3) to Grove Lane at 1:25 a.m. Thursday in the San Roque Neighborhood. A fire engine responded with lights and no siren shortly after.

A Police SUV left scene, with no lights or siren; drove down Grove toward State St. as I was on Grove looking for emergency lights, which I did not see. I heard one fire engine probably going down Ontare toward State, using siren, and another in past 1-2 minutes, also with brief use of siren. They wouldn't use siren if they were going home to station (5 I think) at State & Ontare, next to Denny's and gas station.

1 fire engine headed "home" at 2:03, second engine truck at 2:05.  Police sedan left the scene and drove down Grove at 2:07. Last fire engine went down Grove at 2:10 a.m. Fire engine down Grove at 3:34. Maybe they were checking up on those affected.

This is a huge response. What's up?

a-1656605768 Jun 30, 2022 09:16 AM
Police Response in San Roque Neighborhood

It's on Pulse Point: structure fire. At least seven vehicles were on it. Duration 2h 54min. Takes time to make sure the fire is out. Pulse Point has a pretty good app. It won't tell you much about incidents except what type it was, location, duration, and which emergency vehicles were dispatch, but it's something. I miss Roger.

LCP112233 Jun 30, 2022 10:40 AM
Police Response in San Roque Neighborhood

26TPI Roger was the "scanner guy" on Edhat for many years reporting current events and sharing fun stories. He recently retired from the position.

a-1656612540 Jun 30, 2022 11:09 AM
Police Response in San Roque Neighborhood

He retired to focus on his health. Andrew and Tagged and other readers are doing a great job without the commentary. Roger provided a community service but not everyone liked his commentary and juvenile tantrums, picking fights with other readers. Hard to get the straight reports like the current reporters do, which I appreciate. But, everyone has their tastes.

SBStoner Jun 30, 2022 11:22 AM
Police Response in San Roque Neighborhood

Ehh not really. The current commenters you mentioned usually offer half baked reports that don’t have most relevant info or just say cryptic half sentences. At least Roger would communicate all the details than say something like “there was a suspect description” and then not say anything about the suspect description mentioned.

a-1656613694 Jun 30, 2022 11:28 AM
Police Response in San Roque Neighborhood

@Stoner. I disagree. You should go back and read Andrew's reports. Thorough, detailed, and often with photos. Like I said, everyone has their taste but you cannot really compare the quality of reporting of major incidents. Andrew stays on topic. Anyway, it's a moot point, thankful for edhat where we have this kind of reporting to begin with.

a-1656690017 Jul 01, 2022 08:40 AM
Police Response in San Roque Neighborhood

Original commenter here. I meant no shade to Andrew or Tagdes, they are great and I am glad we have them. The thing I miss most about Roger is the weekly roundups he provided, he has amazing storytelling ability and the man missed hardly anything that went on the scanner. A bit crass and silly for many folks, but I loved it. It was a "don't like it? Don't read it" situation, and I read every single one. It is too bad edhat lost their entire website a few years back, I wish I could point those who don't know toward some of those old posts! Roger is a neat, unbelievably unique guy with experiences to share that most of us cannot fathom going through. I hope he is doing well!

a-1656606069 Jun 30, 2022 09:21 AM
Police Response in San Roque Neighborhood

Reported structure fire response in the 800 block of Grove Lane. Flames were reportedly showing from the kitchen. There were no injuries.

tagdes Jun 30, 2022 03:09 PM
Police Response in San Roque Neighborhood

State and Ontare is Station 4 and the second in engine was 5 from Modoc. They limit the sirens at this time of night for obvious reasons and also when dispatch gives them a shut down in the area especially on medical calls.