Santa Barbara Junior High Locked Down After Parent Confrontation

Update by the edhat staff
May 20, 2022

Last week, edhat readers reported parents of Santa Barbara Junior High School were notified of the school being locked down due to "threats."

The Independent is now reporting the lockdown was due to a parent confronting a student on campus.

According to the report made to the Santa Barbara Police Department, an altercation between two students cause a parent of one of the students to approach and threaten the other student.

The police investigation determined it was the juvenile accompanied by their parents who had made alleged threats and not the parents. The student was referred to the County Juvenile Probation Office to further investigated the alleged offenses.

By an edhat reader
2:21 p.m., May 12, 2022

Parents were notified that the school was on lockdown at 2:22 this afternoon via text and email.  Any other news out there? From the school:

Dear Families,
Due to an incident on campus that involved threats, we instituted a lockout on campus while also contacting law enforcement for support. At this moment in time we do not know when the lockout will be lifted, but we will keep you informed as we gather more information. All students are accounted for and are safe inside of the building.

CoastWatch May 12, 2022 02:52 PM
Santa Barbara Junior High Locked Down After Parent Confrontation

If it's a minor/ juvenile who caused this issue, there will be zero consequences, perhaps a 3 day school expulsion. Authorities hands are tied. Free reign to do whatever as long as there are no bodily injuries sustained during a crime...

CoastWatch May 12, 2022 03:00 PM
Santa Barbara Junior High Locked Down After Parent Confrontation

How about boot camp where you are moving from 7-5 everyday for a week on the first offense- 2nd, a month- 3rd, a month in a cell with no TV other than the Disney Channel, oatmeal for breakfast, P&J for lunch and Salad with tuna for dinner... They will NEVER come back!

Minibeast May 12, 2022 05:10 PM

I collect eggcorns. Thanks, COASTWATCH, for adding to my collection:
"While it might be tempting to spell the phrase as free reign, this is a spelling error. Free rein is the correct phrase." (source: writingexplained.org)
The Goleta avocado thief gave me my favorite one so far, though. He wrote something about crawling over "bob wire."

Minibeast May 12, 2022 09:33 PM
Santa Barbara Junior High Locked Down After Parent Confrontation

In my Top 10 right now: The eBay lady selling I can't remember what, but in her description she mentioned "digging for muscles at the beach."------------ And the Craigslist ad (it may still be up) where the item for sale is an "otterman."

Curmudgeon May 12, 2022 10:57 PM

MINIBEAST - Speaking of eggcorns:
I am amused when someone writes or says, "There's" when describing a plural noun. Sadly, you see this often today from people or publications (editors) who should know better. Thanks, modern educational system.
Also - it frosts my tuchas when hearing someone say, "I could care less" when they, in all liklihood mean, "I COULDN'T care less.
Just my two sense! :-)

sacjon May 20, 2022 02:40 PM
Santa Barbara Junior High Locked Down After Parent Confrontation

COAST - a "3 day expulsion?" Do you mean suspension? That's a "consequence." Do you think jr. high aged kids who threaten each other with fighting should be imprisoned? What consequences do you think are fair for "this issue" which we really know nothing about?

edney May 21, 2022 01:06 PM

What is your solution?
You got 3 upvotes by the Jr. Hi popularity comittee but offered nothing, which seems odd.
This event as recounted was obviously disrupting to the core mission of academics and I remember that the adrenaline buzz from this type of thing lasted for days, often spawning new confrontations.
I think the worst punishment for a teenager would be to make them come in 1 HR early, give up their phone and help with something like put books back on the shelves at the library.
When I was at SBJHS I was banned from all of my after lunch classes because they were boring and I'd go to the library and get other books to read during class. It was disruptive, so they banned me to the Principals office where I sat in a corner and read by myself. The secretary would bring me the tests, quizzes. I got A+ grade and a ZERO in citizenship. They tried to threaten me by saying the citizenship dings were going to have effect of college admission which was lame because why would I want to go anywhere that cared about my Jr Hi citizenship score.

Chores NOT to assign (particularly NOT to Hispanics) would be cleaning and gardening.
Long time ago a friend of mine had her daughter at a mostly white elementary school and another little girl got sick. The teacher took the sick girl out and the teachers helper asked the two hispanic girls who were sitting next to her to help clean it up. My friends daughter said no and the other girl said me neither. My friend said it was probably just because the girls were sitting right there, not racial, but it was inappropriate on two levels and the teachers helper (volunteer) was dropped

bosco May 12, 2022 10:42 PM
Santa Barbara Junior High Locked Down After Parent Confrontation

I hear nothing but terrible things about SB Junior High (in fact all the SBUSD middle schools). I'm not looking forward to my kids reaching that age. I can't afford private, but I really can't imagine sending my kids to that school. What's the deal with that place?

mm1970 May 13, 2022 10:17 AM
Santa Barbara Junior High Locked Down After Parent Confrontation

I think you'll find good and bad things at all the schools. Junior high schools have between 500 (La Cumbre) and just under 1000 (La Colina) students. It's a big change from elementary school and then there's the hormones. My kid did just fine, no issues at La Cumbre (& got a fantastic education) and most of my friends can say the same (from all the junior high schools).

sacjon May 20, 2022 02:38 PM
Santa Barbara Junior High Locked Down After Parent Confrontation

BOSCO - I went to SBJH and SBHS and I'm so glad my kids now go to Goleta Valley Jr. High and DP High. I've had (nor have I read) any complaints about the Goleta jr and senior highs. SB schools do have a much larger gang population, which was the bulk of the violence I witnessed as a kid in those schools. Not saying Goleta doesn't have gangs or we're all perfect out here, but SBJH and SBHS have a far greater problem. Further, I'm not saying this incident was gang related, I don't know, but I'm saying, not all the SBUSD schools are "terrible." GVJH has a great and involved principal and I'm so happy my kids went there. It may be worth the commute if you're this concerned.

edney May 20, 2022 02:53 PM
Santa Barbara Junior High Locked Down After Parent Confrontation

Let me know when Laguna Blanca's Jr Hi program has a gang problem.
I went to SBJHS (a looooooooong time ago). I got a good education because school was easy for me, but the real education I needed at that age was learning to deal with and navigate the nonsense that many kids at that age produce. Because of that experience i am much better prepared for the denizens of the edhat comment section.

sacjon May 20, 2022 03:14 PM
Santa Barbara Junior High Locked Down After Parent Confrontation

EDNEY - Laguna Blanca likely has no gang problem, but I know first hand of drugs, unchecked bullying, and even violence at that school. Jr. High, whether rich or poor, gang or not, is tough for kids. It's a nightmare for some, whether or not gangs are involved.

edney May 20, 2022 03:55 PM
Santa Barbara Junior High Locked Down After Parent Confrontation

I was responding to A-1653081792 , but I agree that there are other types of problems at private schools.
Not addressed to you,Sacjon, but remarks about edhat denizens were immediately reinforced by denizens with no sensibilities to the irony of their behaviors.

a-1653091327 May 20, 2022 05:02 PM
Santa Barbara Junior High Locked Down After Parent Confrontation

I'm so old that if a lot of this stuff happened the principle would call the child and his/her parents. After discussion the child could be sent home. In high school if you repeatedly ran afoul of a teacher you were gathered by our football coach from class and taken to the principles's office. After a brief lecture there was some physical reinforcement of the lecture. Generally worked. No one wanted to be sent back, It's kind of how prisons are expected to work.

mm1970 May 23, 2022 09:29 AM
Santa Barbara Junior High Locked Down After Parent Confrontation

Actually, La Colina had a lottery at least once before, when the current seniors were going into 7th grade...my neighbor's kid was waitlisted (but got in).

Also, there was a really big birth surge one year many years ago (our own elementary school, that NEVER has a lottery, had a lottery and ended up with FIVE kindergarten classes). And that's the same group that hit junior high last year. It's probably just a one-off.

What I've seen though, is that most of the Goleta growth is in the GVJH district.