Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade title=

By the edhat staff

Several readers of edhat sent us the below video that was posted on Instagram. The video was posted this week by local DJ Ian Soleimani in front of the Boathouse Restaurant at Hendry's Beach.

The video shows a local woman arguing with an employee of the Boathouse at its entrance near the walkway to the public beach, seemingly over an unpaid bill. Soleimani starts filming as the interaction gets more heated. The woman then turns to him and begins a slew of racist rants.

At the time of publication, the video received nearly 20,000 views and 450 comments. With permission from the video's owner, the video is provided in full below:

shoreline May 16, 2022 09:15 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

I was thinking the same thing. I would never have seen it coming but I was loading my groceries once and heard a clearly impaired and disheveled person screaming in the face of easily identified staff. It was a deep fear inside me that it would escalate that drove me to film it on my phone. Thank goodness the worst he did was spit on her shoes but I feared for her safety. He left soon after, bottle in hand as she sobbed.
I checked on her and she was never going to forget it but she was going to be ok. I deleted the video without sharing it with anyone.
Had he touched her, I'd have turned the video over to the police.
Again, I don't consider myself a drama girl but felt compelled to capture the moment in case it escalated.
As for someone earlier suggesting that any one of us take glee in watching it play out, I say absolutely not. Mortified? Yes

Ahchooo May 16, 2022 08:36 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

I’d be curious to know why the guy filming her decided to film. Very likely he was doing it as a precaution, in case the interaction with the restaurant employee went bad—and perhaps as a deterrent to violent behavior. I assume that if it had all worked out nicely, he would have deleted the recording. But when she went racist on him, he decided to post it.

He didn’t shame her, she shamed herself.

sacjon May 16, 2022 08:19 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

"I said very clearly that the filming commenced BEFORE she showed racism." - How do you know that? Where you there? Nothing in the video or article says she mentioned nothing about race before the video started. And so what? Maybe, had there been no racist rant, he wouldn't have posted it as it was just an argument and not really "newsworthy." You're really grasping at defending this woman.

sacjon May 16, 2022 08:14 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

BENE - "So are you saying we need to ratchet it up and add more hate?" Nope never said that anywhere, just saying exposing racists is not a bad thing. If you want to treat them with kindness, that's fine, go for it. But perhaps the person taking this video was sick of being the target of racism and decided to publicize this vile rant. If you feel sorry for the racist, I can't help you.

Bene May 16, 2022 07:14 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

sacjon you are out of line with that comment. You know quite well that is not what I am saying. So are you saying we need to ratchet it up and add more hate? Is that going to make people less racist? I don't know what your goal is, but my goal is to stop the violence and hatred, not to show how superior I am. The best way to show someone what a fool they are? Treat them with kindness. Then they feel shamed acting the way they are and might actually change. Adding more hate for the haters? How's that workin out for this country?

CelesteBarber May 16, 2022 01:41 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

Edhat Editors: Please remove the post -- now. When I first saw the post early this morning, I had hoped that it would have been taken down. Sadly not. This is not news. At best, yellow journalism. But what I see is the shaming of a stranger. With the exception of a few commenters who were disturbed as I was, too many took glee in another's public humiliation. You don't know what actually happened prior. You don't know this person or her history. The woman has people who care about her: husband; mother; father; siblings; daughter or son; friends and neighbors; co-workers. How would you feel? How must the people in her life feel about this posting and the comments? The lack of compassion and all-out joy -- I don't understand it. Edhat, shame on you. This post has no place anywhere in online news reporting.

Thomas John May 16, 2022 06:23 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

I don't think she's saying she is in 'control' of SB. But it is a passionate stance about using this platform to shame people. The edhat content editors are usually way more conservative on what they let go on this site.

CelesteBarber May 16, 2022 03:56 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

I am happy to correct the Pledge incident before the Board of Trustees, SBCC (Jan. 2019). I sued the college, at my own expense, because the California Brown Act was violated by members of the audience, all faculty. Public Comment is a right in this state. The attempt was made to silence me and disrupt the meeting. That's against the law. The college's attorneys agreed, and why we did not need to go to court. I never asked for money, nor did I receive any money. The only issue was the violation of the right to speak without intimidation when recognized during a public meeting. The incident in question was triggered by one person, a white faculty member. I was there to request (not demand) that the trustees as a body reinstate the Pledge of Allegiance, as is common practice at government meetings, including City Council and Board of Supervisors, as well as School Board. The incoming board president, Robert Miller, had discontinued the practice on his own, a violation of Board policy. The previous week, I privately emailed him to request reinstatement. He declined, stating the Pledge was steeped in a racist history. I wrote back, again requesting that he reinstate the Pledge. When he did not respond, I decided my next course of action would be to take it to the full board during Public Comment. Normally, very few people attend the trustees meetings. I was surprised when I saw a large group of students and some faculty arrive shortly before the meeting started. They were there for a separate issue. I would also like to make clear that the students were respectful of my statement throughout. They stood quietly on the dais behind the board. The only action they ever took -- one that I would absolutely defend -- was when they took a knee during the Pledge recitation. They behaved with dignity, including for respect for themselves. I was proud of them It was the faculty that caused the problem. They attempted to incite people there, and to shut down the trustees meeting. Had that one faculty member remained silent during Public Comment, I wouldn't be writing this clarification here today. I'd have made my comment, told my father's story as a soldier in WWII, and my own story of living in
East Berlin and what the flag means to Americans stationed in far off places. The recited the Pledge, and left the room with a close friend and a Gold Star mother also in attendance. That would have been that. The Board of Trustees would then have voted to reinstate or not. I'd have accepted either way the vote went, because that's what we do in this country. I sued because no one has the right to disrupt a public meeting, especially during public comment. Those few minutes allow anyone -- rich, poor, old, infirm, homeless, citizen and undocumented -- the right to freely and openly address their elected officials and be listened to. It's a precious right. Months later, Nick Welsh asked me why I had contacted conservative news (I hadn't), and why I only spoke to them. I told him, "Because they called, you didn't." Nick took that to heart. It's one of many reasons why I respect his journalism and his ethics. For the record, I am left of center.

yacht rocked May 16, 2022 03:39 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

(◔_◔) The problem with that theory is that it's highly probable that this isn't the first front-line worker that "Karen" has gone off on. It's even more likely that she talks like that to someone everyday.

a-1652737584 May 16, 2022 02:46 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

@Celeste, isn't this woman and the videographer exercising their First Amendment rights? Something you seem to know quite a bit about since you sued people because you were apparently offended at being interrupted while saying the Pledge of Allegiance claiming your First Amendment rights were violated.

a-1652736034 May 16, 2022 02:20 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

The majority of people disagree with you and praise this local community website for publishing this. No one deserves to be spoken to like this, no one deserves a racist attack like this.

Celeste, based on your past comments here, opinion letters to local media, interviews with national media, and political stance, it's my opinion that you would not have the same comments if this woman was of a different race. Perhaps your empathy for such awful behavior is because you see a bit of yourself in her. Chat with a therapist, address your own fears of "others." In the meantime, the rest of us will be sure to call out racism and disgusting behavior when we see it.

helena May 16, 2022 11:22 AM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

Videoing such occurrences gives them sunlight, and that ain't a bad thing. There are people like this woman in all walks of life; how we deal with them matters. And I'd like to recommend the lobster roll at the Boathouse, for any of you impressed by their response.

Gimli May 16, 2022 10:21 AM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

This so called "Karen" (or "Kraken"?) must be related to Roseanne Barr. Seems to me that there is some kind of underground Scientific Research Facility that clones in secret "Karen's", and they will dominate our world.

shoreline May 16, 2022 10:17 AM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

It would be very telling to match the political party of those accepting of her vile behavior (and opposed to the filming of it) with those who are calling her out regardless of what kind of day she was having.
Dig deep and think about what type of human could rationalize such hate. Inclusion, acceptance and tolerance should be the expectation of humanity recognizing that we are all different and make up an amazing whole of unique and individual parts. That premise should never enable bigotry, racism or elitism. Her behavior was inexcusable but forgivable. I'd like to see her genuinely contrite about her actions.

mast8 May 16, 2022 09:47 AM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

Two things can be true at once: 1) this person's behavior is inexcusable, 2) this trend of shoving phones in people's faces to record their most shameful moments, so that we can gleefully spectate and make self satisfied condemnations of them after the fact, is pretty darn ugly too.

bosco May 16, 2022 01:17 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

There are certainly moments when filming can be beneficial, like in the event of a crime or act of violence. However, people also need to realize that videos are just a snapshot of the event and lack context. As stated earlier, this woman has signs of mental illness. I don't see the value of spreading this all over the internet so people can point fingers at another "racist Karen". If this guy actually wanted to help the situation he could have mediated and tried understand what was going on. But no, instead he thought, "why don't I pull out my phone so I can share this with my friends and generate more likes". Her stupidly pulling the race card was exactly what he wanted.

Alexblue May 16, 2022 09:53 AM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

MAST8, yes, you have a point, however, the trend of recording things in public may ultimately have a beneficial outcome, which is that people may be less likely to, for example, choke someone to death on a sidewalk if they know they are being or might be recorded. Also, people may be less likely to engage in horrible behaviors if they know there may actually be a consequence, i.e., public shaming, destruction of reputation, job loss, etc..

Bene May 16, 2022 09:03 AM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

I have no ability to understand why anyone would make the strange comments this woman did. Because the comments are so bizarre, and the average person would have no ability to understand her, I'm not sure that proclaiming this simply a racist rant is the full picture here. She appears to be having a definite meltdown and her comments make no sense. Maybe, if she recovers, her comments will make no sense to her as well. Before she made the racist comments I think the filming was going on. Somehow it feels sleazy to jump in and film a clearly crazy and distressed woman, which clearly only made her crazier. In the beginning it was just an argument about a restaurant bill, and jumping in and filming a woman arguing about a restaurant bill just seems opportunistic, in the sense that the person videoing is hoping for a big show, hoping things will get worse, and by filming assuring that things will only get worse as it upsets the person further. What does it say about us that we would watch something like this and gloat over it, feel so Superior, and use it for entertainment? What kind of world it would be if instead of videoing it and hoping for some fireworks to post that instead somebody would intervene with a kind word to try to calm the situation instead? You can change hearts and minds much better with kindness than with shaming and aggravation. There is a best selling book out about a woman who even turned a murderer around by kindness.

Bene May 16, 2022 07:02 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

You are trying hard here, right? I did not call him sleazy. Please re-read my comment. I said it FELT sleazy. I can feel anything I want right? If you say someone's behavior made you FEEL BAD that's not the same as saying they are bad. My feelings should be free as should yours. I would not film him because I felt a certain way either. That would not be an excuse to film, no. A crime should be filmed, yes. But he weas filming before she committed the crime of a racist comment. But, I do agree I should have chosen my words more carefully. So if I could edit this, I'd amend it to, "it felt sad."

sacjon May 16, 2022 12:56 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

PIT - "You're on your soapbox screaming how evolved and progressive you are because you're not a racist and this woman is, and yet you are no better than she is because the words you are using are racist labels." I'm not screaming anything, and I AM better than her because I'm not going on public racist rants. Calling someone a "Karen" is no where near the same as calling someone "one of four blacks" in SB or telling them to go "African American fishing" or whatever bizarre thing she said.

Regardless, do you really feel that calling someone a racist is as bad as yelling racist slurs at someone? Really?

PitLocal May 16, 2022 12:06 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

SAKJON: A quick google search reveals https://www.bbc.com/news/world-53588201 "Karen" has, in recent years, become a widespread meme referencing a specific type of middle-class white woman, who exhibits behaviours that stem from privilege. It is very much a race specific term. Even if it weren't, it's a label. It's name calling. You're on your soapbox screaming how evolved and progressive you are because you're not a racist and this woman is, and yet you are no better than she is because the words you are using are racist labels.

Rinconer May 16, 2022 08:04 AM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

Great job, Boathouse employees!
I tell my kids all the time, when something sketchy or confrontational is happening,
roll the camera, it’s more powerful than a Karen in full on retribution mode.
Easier to blame Dr. Phil, Oprah, and broccoli than to admit you went over your c.c. limit.
Karen is hereby immortalized in internet gold.
Love a happy ending.

CloudsInSky May 16, 2022 08:03 AM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

I feel so sorry for this woman who suffered humiliation by not being able to pay for her own meal. Many of us revert to a defensive,childish mode in a situation where we feel ashamed, caught in the act. Having the conversation being filmed created even more shame and total helplessness. One of her parents probably used the same racist language when she was a child. She was pacing around the parking lot in an extremely stressed out state. It made me feel sick knowing how she must be feeling.

It looks like the restaurant employee was being respectful by taking the conversation outside. Following the spirit of the law, I think she could have returned the ID belonging to the woman and let her walk away. Someone else had tried to pay for the meal using cash.

The man holding the camera was having fun and shaming the woman further by filming the whole conversation.. Filming people in extreme distress creates a lynch mob mentality where 1,000s of us band together and point fingers.

pstarSR May 16, 2022 06:40 PM
Local Woman Caught on Camera Berating Employee in Racist Tirade

weird you feel bad for her, but don't fell bad for the recipient of the racist remarks?
"it made you sick how she must feel"? but you feel perfectly fine she was insulting people?
So basically, your a racist also and want everyone to accept this OTHER racists actions and feel bad for her?

yeah NOT happening.