Reads 1947

By an edhat reader

I'm not from California but when I moved here I heard an awful lot about how fancy Montecito is. I walk Butterfly Beach 5 days a week and pick up garbage pretty much every day, while many others just walk past it.(I have seen 2 women picking up occasionally) What can be done to stop the consistent littering,  despite all the garbage cans.

Lucky 777 Dec 04, 2021 10:24 AM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

I completely agree with AWAREHUMAN: "Hiring some of the homeless to be "sanitary engineers" has been VERY successful in other cities! Creative solutions work." I'd say a little honest labor picking up trash in exchange for us paying for them to have free hotel rooms would be MORE than fair.

Babycakes Dec 04, 2021 09:46 AM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

Seagull/crow/animal-proof trash containers would also be beneficial wherever the city has public trash and recycle containers.

ZeroHawk Dec 06, 2021 12:24 PM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

BC, yeah, that would help for sure. i've seen people do their due diligence and put trash where it goes just to watch Mr Seagull come up and pull it all out of the can and spread it over the beach at led better. but then WE get blamed. lol...

a-1638633188 Dec 04, 2021 07:53 AM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

Thank you for picking up litter. I always have an empty bag with me at the beach or on a hike. We can control our actions, but generally not the actions of others.

Sail380 Dec 03, 2021 06:43 PM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

It is a much bigger problem than the just the people at beaches. Hiking the front and back country their is graffiti along with the trash. I was told to my face by people putting graffiti on the rocks and leaving empty beer cans and a styrofoam cooler that they don’t care. Piss off, It’s not their country.

ZeroHawk Dec 06, 2021 12:23 PM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

why would people DV sail's post? he/she just stated an experience. lighten up people. i've been told the same thing by some non locals and guess what? i called a few other non locals I know that work for SBPD and one of the taggers got a malinois attached to his rear end within an hour.

SBTownie Dec 03, 2021 04:39 PM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

And what is up with people not picking up their dog's sh*t. Or bagging it then leaving it to "remember to pick it up later" then of course never doing so. It's disgusting.

PitMix Dec 06, 2021 01:13 PM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

I have to admit I've forgotten to pick up a bag on the way back a few times. So now I pick up an extra to pay it forward a little.

The truth is the responsible people will always have to do more to compensate for the irresponsible ones. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

ZeroHawk Dec 06, 2021 12:21 PM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

SBT, yes and as a multi dog owner, this also ticks me off. i see them all over the beaches and trails. Cmon guys really? You take the effort to bag it and tie it and leave it like a present for the poop fairy? She aint comin. This is your responsibility. If you can't handle carrying a bag of poop with you, perhaps you shouldn't own a pet.
I have to lug around a swinging bag of poop for miles sometimes. oh well. it's part of owning a dog and again, if you think you're better than the rest of us or you just think you're ok with leaving you pet's crap laying around, you're wrong and shouldn't own a pet.
There is alot of responsibility with owning a pet and just like many other things in this town, too many over entitled self absorbed people think they get a hall pass on this.
It's litter. It's also full of bacteria. It's also illegal and it also makes you "one of them". Pick up your pet's waste!

fitz Dec 03, 2021 12:19 PM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

In New Zealand, there are no trash cans available and people are expected to carry out anything they bring in. And guess what. There is little to no litter on their beaches. Maybe they do a better job teaching their children about the negative impacts of littering. But it just seems they have a mindset that keeps them from tossing their trash on the ground/ out the car windows. Earlier comment talks about how trashy our area is. And I have to agree. The 101 freeway in the Montecito, SB, and Goleta area is one of the dirtiest in the state. I travel through Riverside and their highways are so much cleaner. Our Caltrans staff/administrators need to do more to bring our area up to par with other California locales. Our local electeds need to get with Caltrans and insist that more be done to keep our roadways clean. We pay taxes just like the other areas.

Shasta Guy Dec 03, 2021 11:59 AM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

Thanks for picking up other people’s litter. Sometimes I bring a trash bag to do the same thing. Leave no trace, even if you didn’t put it there. When I’m on a non-loop trail, I pick up trash on the way back to the trail head. Stuff it in your cargo pockets or in the extra trash bag. There’s no added value complaining about it. The only added value is in picking it up.

Bird Dec 03, 2021 11:39 AM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

1st step would be to ask other cities why they think they have little trash; then, to ask the municipalities here why so much trash --- and it is not just because of the wind! or, even, tourists!! I'd guess a reason other places have less is because the residents there require (and pay for) city and county services to do regular cleanups. There's only so much that volunteers can (and, imho, should do.)

Andrea Smith Dec 03, 2021 09:46 AM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

For some reason SB is a very dirty city. I noticed this too many years ago when I moved here as have others. We used to regularly have trash on the sidewalks and eve in our driveway downtown, so gross, I'm not sure if it's the homeless or the large population of drunks but, it's been this way for a long time. I never see this amount of trash strewn about when I go back east to visit family.

ZeroHawk Dec 06, 2021 12:17 PM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

AS, i don't even see this amount of trash when i'm downtown Ventura. The trash problem in SB isn't the houseless folks, it everything and everyone here. Ive even had friends from eastern europe come here and complain about the amount of poor hungry people and trash.

oceandrew Dec 03, 2021 09:11 AM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

A lot of trash is carried on the wind, it gets blown and moved around for miles. You can find plastic trash on deserted beaches and uninhabited islands the world over. Rather than hate on everyone around you for the environmental degradation you assume they are causing why not do what you can to improve it and others seeing your effort might join in and cooperate.

ZeroHawk Dec 06, 2021 12:16 PM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

Ocean said it best...just pitch in and help. i walk butterfly with a cup of coffee from staryuks and use the empty cup to fill with trash and butts as i walk back....just pick up trash. just do it!

AwareHuman Dec 03, 2021 08:43 AM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

Two ideas: call out trashers when you witness carelessness , and provide Ash trays for butts. People will smoke, and when some sort of Ash trays are provided , they are used. Time to get over judging smokers.... remember many tourists smoke. Mist smokers are discreet and considerate, unlike skateboarders, sidewalk bikers and drunks . I have been asked by tourists why no ashtrays are available...after all, they aren't criminals! (Forget the unenforceable city ordinance & your judgment). Hiring some of the homeless to be "sanitary engineers" has been VERY successful in other cities! Creative solutions work.

ZeroHawk Dec 06, 2021 12:15 PM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

Aware, no its not time to get over smokers. SB is a non smoking city. The beaches are ALL non smoking. There is no excuse for this. So start with that. You let people know it's illegal or you just call it in and take pics. I spend a lot of my life on our coast line and I pick up way too many butts. IDC if tourists smoke, they can go home and smoke.

a-1638553991 Dec 03, 2021 09:53 AM
How to Curb Beach Litter?

Why would ashtrays be provided when smoking in public places is prohibited? That's silly and encourages smokers to break the rules that we as locals have collectively chosen. Don't much care for the "tourists smoke" argument either. Not to mention that when it wasn't prohibited, ashtrays were available yet cigarette butts still littered the ground everywhere.