Cell Phone Booster for Home

By an edhat reader

Currently living in the Hidden Valley area of Santa Barbara which is south of the 101, directly across earl warren show grounds off Modoc. There appears to be a big dead zone in my area and I get one bar if I'm lucky on my cell phone.

I cant make calls and my LTE service cant be used. Signal strength for my cell phone is typically between -116dbm and -122dbm around my house and when I step outside I get 2 bars with a signal strength of maybe -99dbm. A little more info currently using tracfone for service that uses ATT towers but even my friends that use Verizon have the same problem in my area. My question is has anybody tried a cell phone booster from their home to improve call quality and 4g LTE service? Any information and input would be greatly appreciated.

mp805 Feb 20, 2018 10:43 PM
Cell Phone Booster for Home

I really appreciate all the comments! I made it up onto my roof today and i get 3 sometimes 4 bars and just around and in my house its 1 or no bars...so height makes a difference...Hidden Valley is certainly in a bowl. I think I'm going to opt for that booster channelfog talked about, one maker is called surecall. FCC approved and the reviews look promising. I totally get what y'all are saying about wifi calling yet tracfone doesn't support and i do have an older phone that doesnt support it so Im in a bind.

a-1529272058 Feb 20, 2018 04:10 PM
Cell Phone Booster for Home

I live in a canyon where my T-mobile cell phone service only gets one bar at best. Several years ago T-mobile provided me with a T-mobile signal booster at no cost that now gives me five bars throughout my house. Before you try all of these other ideas I would suggest you talk to Verizon about the problem, maybe they will be as helpful as T-mobile. Good luck!

happy camper Feb 20, 2018 08:24 AM
Cell Phone Booster for Home

I live on the Mesa and had a ton of dropped calls; also used my wi-fi to connect several computers, cell phones (of course), and TVs. I bought a Samsung 'booster' from Verizon (maybe $100? maybe more?) and have had virtually no problems in the past two years!

Channelfog Feb 20, 2018 08:02 AM
Cell Phone Booster for Home

There is a company named Wilson that manufactures cell phone amplifiers. A small antenna is placed as high as possible such as up on the roof and a wire runs down to a small cradle in which the phone is placed. We have used one on our motor home to add a bar or two when we are in remote places they cost about $140, or did.

LocalMatt Feb 19, 2018 09:25 PM
Cell Phone Booster for Home

We use Wi-Fi calling. It's an option in your phone settings. Cox Wi-Fi with Verizon cell phone service. We also had same issue. But it seems fine with this setup.

ednsb Feb 19, 2018 01:53 PM
Cell Phone Booster for Home

Couple of thoughts. What you are talking about is called a microcell. Or at least I hope that is what you are talking about. Basically what it does is create a local cell tower in your house via your internet connection and an antenna which must connect up to GPS because of FCC rules. They tend to be very expensive $500 and up. You can argue with your cell phone carrier saying you have no service and they might give you one. The other option is called a signal booster which only adds power to your signal and the noise so really not a good solution. However, you don’t need to buy a microcell if you have wireless in your house thru a router. Most modern cell phones will allow you to use wifi calling by setting it up in your phone preferences. When you make a call it routes it thru the internet rather than the cell tower. This is basically what a microcell does. I just noticed you use tracfone which is not a mainstream carrier and may not support either a microcell or wifi calling. You will have to call them to find out. In any cased a signal booster will not help you.

mattyboy Feb 19, 2018 12:39 PM
Cell Phone Booster for Home

Be careful, some cell boosters use your broadband internet to transmit/receive, and then *still* ding you for minutes & data. So, if you also have shoddy internet throughput and concerned about minutes, don't go that route.