Bicycle Thieves Caught on Camera

By Josh B.

On Sunday night, Oct. 10th at 1:33 am the two men in the photos broke into the Cota Street Studios complex at 225 E. Cota St. They stole a bike valued at approximately $2000.

If anyone recognizes either of them please let us know.

Luvaduck Oct 23, 2021 09:04 AM
Bicycle Thieves Caught on Camera

I saw a nice looking, clean racing bike <leaned> against the chainlink fence behind TJ-Goleta. Coming out of TJ's was a dirty, disheveled man, best guess mid 20's, with indigent-suntan and a 6-pack. I wondered, but went in and shopped. The chainlink has been breached many times but as many times as it's fixed, another hole is cut. The area behind it is littered. I've also seen a man on one bike expertly 'escorting' an empty one multiple times in that area. (Not the same man.) Maybe someone will come up with a way to make a bike electrified as a bare utility wire if locked.

Studio 8 Oct 23, 2021 08:29 AM
Bicycle Thieves Caught on Camera

Well, they were busy that night …they ripped of my Rad Mini-E bike that night! I was parked out front of Milk and Money on Anapamu. They cut the lock.

Curmudgeon Oct 22, 2021 01:06 PM
Bicycle Thieves Caught on Camera

That first photo gives the impression the thief is simply turning the door handle (maybe with a key?)
Wonder if door was locked or if thief used a key or picked the lock?
If key, is it someone who has normal access to that area or in cahoots with someone who does?
Interesting...

FernaldPoint93108 Oct 22, 2021 12:31 PM
Bicycle Thieves Caught on Camera

Major bummer. I’m amazed that a non-electric bike can cost $2000, assuming the yellow bike in the photo is the one.

MarcelK Oct 22, 2021 03:03 PM
Bicycle Thieves Caught on Camera

Why, what do you expect bicycles to cost?

Henry Sarria Oct 22, 2021 12:45 PM
Bicycle Thieves Caught on Camera

FernaldPoint93108, no amazement or surprise that a "non-e-bike" can cost over $2k. I race bikes, BMX & MTB & some of those rigs, given the components package involved, CAN cost well over $2k easily, especially if build of "exotic" mateials (such as carbon fiber).
I try to keep the price of my race bikes to a minimum, but some folks, they whoop it up, the sky's the limit, price is no issue.
This bike, it seems like an aluminum framed high end commuter bike (the giveaways are wrap-around fenders & kickstand) & yeah man, those can go for a hefty price. It's a BMC, that's a pretty high-end brand.
As for bike thieves... I HATE EM'! Here in IV we get them & we do all we can to thwart them every step of the way. Not gonna go into detail, but some have paid a price for their choice. I hate bike thieves! I hope they get this bike back.

ZeroHawk Oct 22, 2021 11:17 AM
Bicycle Thieves Caught on Camera

contact the bike chops and the main pawn downtown as well as the PD. bike shops are key as parts and pieces will end up in their hands perhaps. especially for a bike like this. good luck. so sorry :(