Moonlight Trail Rescue for Injured Hiker

Moonlight Trail Rescue for Injured Hiker title=
Photo: Montecito Fire Department

By edhat staff

Emergency personnel responded to an injured hiker on their monthly full moon outing Wednesday evening.

Around 9:45 p.m., Montecito firefighters, Santa Barbara County Search & Rescue, and AMR ambulance responded to Cold Spring Trail for a report of an injured hiker.

They discovered a member of a well-equipped and experienced group of local hikers, suffered a misstep while on their monthly full moon outing. Montecito Firefighters hiked to the patient’s location on Cold Spring Trail, assessed his injuries, started treatment and packaged him for transport down the trail.

Search & Rescue helped bring him down the trail and AMR took him to the hospital for further treatment.

The hiker only had an isolated leg injury.

Basicinfo805 Oct 21, 2021 03:24 PM
Moonlight Trail Rescue for Injured Hiker

Night hike = asking for a sprained ankle. Hey, you got it! I guess they weren’t THAT “we’ll-equipped”, especially in planning to be self sufficient. I’m not wishing malice in anyone, just hoping more from those whose idea of being prepared on a night hike is having a cellphone to call 911 for a minor injury. “C’mon man!” Award for the month - you got it. Yeah let’s see a name or photo of the guy.

Ok, here come the barrage of downvotes! No worries I can take it.

positive-one Oct 21, 2021 03:55 PM
Moonlight Trail Rescue for Injured Hiker

sorta what i was thinking.... hiking at night doesn't sound smart ever, even with a full moon. and LOVE THE "well equipped"... with a cell phone lol
I'm entertained by you basicinfo!

letmego Oct 21, 2021 04:06 PM
Moonlight Trail Rescue for Injured Hiker

It was a well-equipped GROUP of hikers. So, I'm guessing they were equipped with more than just a cell phone. But apparently not a stretcher.

LCP112233 Oct 22, 2021 10:50 AM
Moonlight Trail Rescue for Injured Hiker

I have modern hiking boots with ankle support and still broke my ankle on a short full moon hike. Only had to painfully stumble back about 1/4 mile. Good thing I had hiking sticks. Won't be doing that again anytime soon. Or ever.

qmc Oct 22, 2021 01:00 PM
Moonlight Trail Rescue for Injured Hiker

Night hikes are wonderful things to do, but I usually do it 3 days before the full moon so the moon is overhead at 9pm. Night hikes aren't that dangerous as some people think since the SB front range trails don't require any technical hiking skills (Cathedral peak excepted). There are people who get injured on our front range trails and sidewalks during the day. Doesn't mean they need to hole up at home.

Zeke Oct 21, 2021 07:20 PM
Moonlight Trail Rescue for Injured Hiker

So interesting the level of scrutiny this guy and other hikers get, right down to what kind of shoe you think he is wearing. What about car accidents? Those are generally caused by someone who made an error in judgement. At least this guy was doing something fun. I cant understand how worked up people get over such mundane everyday events. Guessing edhat is about 75% trolls and 25% genuine commenters. No wonder Noozhawk stopped the comments, I was so glad when they did that.

a-1634878984 Oct 21, 2021 10:03 PM
Moonlight Trail Rescue for Injured Hiker

When NoozHawk and the Indy dropped comments, a bunch of the voluble rats jumped from their sinking ships onto Edhat. That's when a lot of the foul Faux News "infotainment" derived opinions started to show up.

a-1634902769 Oct 22, 2021 04:39 AM
Moonlight Trail Rescue for Injured Hiker

The lighting/shadows make his foot look purple, and it's flexed, which would hurt. Looks bad, for whatever reasons. I wish him healing, having been badly injured on a hike myself.
I wouldn't hike at night, I'm not up to that, but I sure get the draw of being out in a full moon. I'd be on sidewalks...

Davy Brown Oct 22, 2021 05:28 AM
Moonlight Trail Rescue for Injured Hiker

My son and I have made a few exciting "full moon" hikes in the past, and utilize two LED lights in order to penetrate the depth illusions strong moonlight creates. Yet we'd hike old fire roads rather than very rocky trails like Cold Springs Tr., and eventually gave 'em up after a few minor stumbles. With all the grand hikes available to us, the night choice even with full moon (what was the cloud cover like?) seem kind of absurd and also arrogant. Human exceptionalism again. When do we get the photos, Robert B.??