Vegetation Fire on Hwy SB near Storke

Multiple callers are reporting a vegetation fire starting on Hwy 101 SB between Winchester Canyon and Storke in Goleta

Henry Sarria Oct 21, 2021 07:37 PM
Vegetation Fire on Hwy SB near Storke

Lucky777, the accumulated materials I was noticing were more of the combustible & flammable nature. Definitely NOT a good setting, given the number of encampment fires we've bee havin' around here.
But yeah, gotta say, there's stuff I see there, mainly consisting of bikes & not to sound like a jerk, but as a bike racer (BMX & MTB) I gotta wonder where some of those came from.
JB86, agreed, there needs to be some sort of consistent & concerted effort w/ this issue. Right now you got too much conflict between state, county, city, municipality, private & government. They need to work together toward a solution.
Took a swing by the affected area today on my lunch ride & let me be the 1st to say, things could've been WAY worse if the winds were still blowing the way they were earlier.

Lucky 777 Oct 21, 2021 10:25 AM
Vegetation Fire on Hwy SB near Storke

When Henry Sarria mentions "accumulated materials" it is obvious to state that these "encampments" are all filled with things STOLEN from nearby "housed neighbors" which constitute the evidence of crimes.

JB86 Oct 20, 2021 11:38 PM
Vegetation Fire on Hwy SB near Storke

Henry, yes, the camps have popped up all the way from Dos Pueblos to Carp along the 101, and no one seems to be in charge of management or abatement of hazards. The cities, Cal/trans, Union Pacific all have pieces of the puzzle but there is no unified command. Seems to me that's what is needed is maybe a joint-powers agreement or special district. Not a simple problem, but obvious risk to many people.

Henry Sarria Oct 20, 2021 10:52 PM
Vegetation Fire on Hwy SB near Storke

Just got word from a friend of mine that this incident took place on the ocean side of the 101 fwy by the railroad tracks just past the 7-11 in Ellwood, I believe behind 7416 Hollister Ave. Different encampment.

Henry Sarria Oct 20, 2021 10:06 PM
Vegetation Fire on Hwy SB near Storke

This is right by where I work, just on the other side of the 101 fwy. Left work today around 6:05, missed it by 35 minutes. That encampment mentioned above, it's been growin' over time, not in occupants, but in accumulated materials, so yeah, it was gettin' to be a safety hazard of sorts.
We had some pretty sketchy winds today, but they seemed to have dwindled by the time I got out of work & that's a good thing, could've spread into the adjacent property.
I'll take a spin by that area tomorrow on my lunch time bike ride, if I see anything interesting, I'll report on here.

JB86 Oct 20, 2021 08:30 PM
Vegetation Fire on Hwy SB near Storke

Yeah, most of the time these are not a big deal - almost practice for the fire people. What we need to worry about is an event in bad conditions - sundowners, wind, etc. With all the new development south of the 101, there is a growing risk that needs more abatement activity devoted to the camps. I don't see that happening in any coherent way.

bumblebee Oct 22, 2021 03:19 PM
Vegetation Fire on Hwy SB near Storke

Almost practice. I don't think having to slog through feces and trash to put out an intentional fire is that great a practice session.

Rypert Johnson Oct 20, 2021 08:04 PM
Vegetation Fire on Hwy SB near Storke

JB86, yes, it was a "houseless neighbor" fire. There's a huge encampment right as you get off of the 101 northbound, it's to the right and it was only a matter of time before it went up in flames, given the amount of trash accumulated in that spot.