Four Airplanes Overhead at 11am

Four Airplanes Overhead at 11am  title=
Photo by Patti Gutshall

By an edhat reader

Any one have any information on the types of planes that flew over at approximately 11am this morning. From the information at Radar 24, it looks like they flew out of Camarillo but there wasn't any information on the registration numbers. They circled Santa Barbara twice with a low pattern.

a-1634760930 Oct 20, 2021 01:15 PM
Four Airplanes Overhead at 11am

Bet it was a memorial flight for a veteran's funeral, probably with T-6 or Nanchang CJ-6 aircraft.

mp805 Oct 20, 2021 01:30 PM
Four Airplanes Overhead at 11am

Interesting... this sounds right, when i saw them fly over...there were 3 planes in formation and one out of formation with a smoke trial which speaks to the "missing man formation." Definitely vintage planes, you cant mistake the sound of those radial engines

tagdes Oct 20, 2021 05:56 PM
Four Airplanes Overhead at 11am

Sorry MP805, those are not radial engines, I saw them fly over the library and almost didn't hear them. They are likely Lycoming 0-470-13s, 6 cylinder horizontally opposed piston engines. If you hear a real radial come over you'll know it.

Snorky Oct 20, 2021 01:27 PM
Four Airplanes Overhead at 11am

I would agree with prior comment. Sure did sound like part of the Commemorative AF out of Camarillo. And based on the track, it was most likely for a funeral.

John Wiley Oct 20, 2021 04:55 PM
Four Airplanes Overhead at 11am

Two were Beech T34 "Mentor" trainers. Beautiful aircraft beloved by many pilots. I only caught a distorted angle view through a double-glazed window, so I couldn't visually ID the third. The apparent lead T34 took off from and landed back at Camarillo (CMA), and as is standard in close formation flights was the only one with an active transponder for the formation. They circled a lot, in the SB area and in the La Conchita area, then one T34 broke formation and turned on transponder. That one went to French Valley (F70) near Murietta, but I don't know if it originated there for the flight. I didn't ever see the third plane or pick up its transponder, but it's possible they did an in-trail landing back at CMA or F70. I enjoyed the glimpse and sound of their formation, and hope to get a better view next time.

John Wiley Oct 20, 2021 09:00 PM
Four Airplanes Overhead at 11am

CMA's museum has some great aircraft. Last time I went their collection included a Spitfire, and I believe they fly it occasionally. Well worth a stop and the small fee to support them if you enjoy such things. Amazingly dedicated people keeping that history alive.

ljmdance Oct 21, 2021 06:25 AM
Four Airplanes Overhead at 11am

Plugs were at half staff, also. I assumed it was honoring General Colin Powell. Maybe the flights were also.

kentsantabarbara Oct 21, 2021 04:42 PM
Four Airplanes Overhead at 11am

I was the number 4 aircraft in the flight. The planes are T-34's. T-34A (USAF) and T-34B (USN) models. Military primary trainers for the US Air Force and Navy. Used in the mid 50's to mid 60's. These are the aircraft military pilots trained in before going to jets. Then our pilots went to Vietnam. We have horizontally apposed six cylinder Continental engines , IO-550 or IO-520 engines which produce about 300 horsepower. We do Veteran Memorial flights around southern and central California. Our planes are based at many airports in Southern California.

mp805 Oct 21, 2021 05:31 PM
Four Airplanes Overhead at 11am

Kent, Thank you for sharing the information...really appreciate it here. So impressed with what your group does and made an impact on me. Going to get down to the Commemorative AF museum soon. Was looking on their website and it says you can actually book time for a ride on a select few of these planes. http://www.cafsocal.com/