By an edhat reader

All the parking is gone from Milpas to State on Cota Street. What's up?

SnapMaster Feb 19, 2018 11:25 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

SURPRISE!! The Santa Barbara city council decided you don’t need parking.. You need a bike. Just like every tax and spend solution “dims” decide for you. California is melting into the sea under democratic leadership. Lol.

haroldm Feb 19, 2018 10:31 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

I have a car but like to limit my driving as much as possible. I bike various routes across town daily. I like to use Canon Perdido, with bike lanes on both sides on the Milpas end, but sometimes I need to use other routes. You might as well ask, why can't cars avoid this or that street completely. Drivers like the faster thoroughfares, but need the smaller streets sometimes too. Unfortunately, the new Cota bike lane curves down into the gutter, where all the debris ends up--this weekend there were lots of glass splinters in the bike lane, and the paving is awful, never mind the asphalt-cement curb interface. Our bike lane experts think they can paint lines, put up markers, stencil on some cement bicyclist logos and they're done--sorry folks, but you really should repave this stretch of distressed and rippled paving so that one doesn't need a mountain bike to cycle safely there. And fellow drivers: imagine if all those cyclists you have to wait for were in SUVs--you'd be in gridlock that much longer. Give them some space and be glad they're not clogging the intersections like us in our big metal boxes. Loss of parking--give up your second car, and there would be more than enough to go around.

a-1545226600 Feb 19, 2018 08:42 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

Folks, I know that we all want to have parking where we want and when we want it. But the fact is that streets are built to move vehicles not to store them (i.e. park them). Parking is incidental to the primary purpose. In addition to cars, trucks and busses, bikes are vehicles that use the streets for movement. Since cars and bikes haven't mixed well in the same lanes, separated lanes are a safer solution.

nope Feb 19, 2018 08:27 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

It's great, I've used it and seen others using it. Nice to have a safe route across town from the Eastside. I'm not sure why folks are so mad that they don't see people using it, maybe because bikes are near silent and don't cause traffic! We are using it and gone before you notice, maybe you're too busy looking for a spot for that giant hunk of metal that sits idle 99% of the time. Nice work City of SB, thankyou.

salsa guy Feb 19, 2018 07:38 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

If y’all think Murillo is a visionary and extraordinarally smart then I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I’d like to sell you. Then you can bike lane to death. She’s an idiot!

LocalinSB Feb 19, 2018 09:03 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

FYI - PODER has a avid support in the 3rd District. I heard Chelsea Lancaster is running for Murillo's Council seat. Santa Barbara is going to be ruined with people like that running the City.

LocalMatt Feb 18, 2018 08:48 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

City buildings are close by... if companies you work for or apts you rent don't provide parking is there a reason to be upset?

420722 Feb 18, 2018 03:17 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

I have business on a cota a few times a week and never see people using this bike lane. Just think, that jardin de rosas mega complex on cota isn’t done yet. When all the people move in there will be a minimum of 2 cars per apartment I’m assuming...where the F&CK will they park?

LocalinSB Feb 19, 2018 09:44 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

A 73 unit, 4 story AUD will replace Capital Hardware (711 N Milpas). Get ready for more parking problems on the Eastside.

mattyboy Feb 19, 2018 08:41 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

I drive on Cota every day (I live nearby and use Cota to get to Garden/freeway), and there are always people biking on it during the morning commute times. I say that as someone who doesn't like the loss of parking.

A Real Local Feb 18, 2018 06:10 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

Skateboards. I heard Murillo, Schwartz from Planning Commission and Developer Alan Bleecker like alternative transportation and they really like skateboards. Big question we need to ask is why is Staff and the City allowing so many projects or redevelopment without enough parking? Just think about Target on upper State or look at the Funk Zone. Tons of development, but no real parking requirements for the actual need of businesses for employees OR customers.

GeneralTree Feb 18, 2018 03:09 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

No place to park, bad for businesses, bike lane won't generate revenue for business, more congested and the bike lane won't be used much. Other than that it is great.

a-1545226600 Feb 18, 2018 03:01 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

No sense having bike paths if half the bicyclists still go on parallel streets without paths. How do we get casual bicyclists to know about and use the paths? For instance, Castillo has a path, but I regularly see bikes using De la Vina instead. Yes, I know it is a bit out of the way for some, but we aren't going to put bike paths on every street. So it seems to me that part of the deal has to be that if the city pays for bike paths, the bikes have to make an effort to use them. Safer for everybody. Any one have a solution?

d8vanilla Feb 18, 2018 02:21 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

I happened to drive down that street a couple days ago, and I didn't see ONE single bicycle on that street !!!! But, I did see quite a few cars.

a-1545226600 Feb 18, 2018 10:24 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

Noozhawk has the details. Bike lane with permanent cones separating it from traffic, from Milpas to Chapala. 35 parking spots eliminated.

LocalinSB Feb 19, 2018 09:09 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

Staff lies all the time. Or do I need to be PC and say "makes errors." I am not surprised that there were "errors" in reports at City Council. - Staff "errors" can be found all over the place including permitted projects that should never have been permitted. They are either told NOT to review project accurately, because they are lazy, want to push something through or just don't care.

NotReallyDave Feb 18, 2018 05:29 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

How did the businesses between Anacapa and Chapala get to keep "their" parking? Was there preferential treatment given to those two blocks? Maybe because State Street needs all the help it can get? What a crock.

mrtrump Feb 18, 2018 01:42 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

To the comment @1:15 P.M- The people who want the truth can look at google street view themselves, not take your word or that of Rob Dayton. By removing the white loading- unloading zone in front of the school, which allowed students to exit directly onto the school grounds, the city is now encouraging students to run across Cota Street, increasing the odds of a fatal accident.

mrtrump Feb 18, 2018 01:24 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

To East Beach @ 1:14 P.M- The city never provided the images. Anyone who wants to know the truth can look at a google street view of Cota Street. In addition, it was claimed that the curb in front of the high school was painted red. In fact, the google street view shows the curb to be painted white, with the words "3 minute loading-unloading" stenciled into the curb. That stretch in front of the school must be 500 feet long at least. The total lost is indeed 100+ spaces.

a-1545226600 Feb 18, 2018 01:15 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

I count no more than 30 parked. White curb does not count as parking spots. The exaggeration is real...and frustrating

EastBeach Feb 18, 2018 01:14 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

To comment @ 10:33 AM - 35 spaces is pretty darned close to my count. I went to the city's website to see the plan. Then I used Google satellite view to estimate car spaces. Of special note ... the bike lane cuts into SBJHS and Ortega Park for a little over two blocks. Also, there is a lot of existing non-parkable curb and driveways along that stretch including the entire block next to the Cota Commuter Parking Lot.

mrtrump Feb 18, 2018 01:05 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

To the comment @ 12:54 P.M- a google street view of Cota Street shows at least 60 vehicles parked on the north side of Cota between Nopal and Santa Barbara Street, with at least 20 open spots available in non-red curbed areas. that's at least 80 parking spots available on the north side of Cota. In addition, Google street views shows the curb in front of the high school painted white, which is a 5 minute loading- unloading zone. That's at least 20 spaces. Total- 100+ spaces lost.

a-1545226600 Feb 18, 2018 12:54 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

Not everything, no, nowhere even near everything that the government puts out is a lie designed to trick you and the general public, MRTRUMP. I was just passing on the information. Since we apparently need to fact check for you, I drew up some rough numbers: 5280' total, 14 cross streets/alleys (we'll call it 13 intersections to compensate for the 1/2 intersections on each end), each intersection is 35' across (low estimate), and a minimum of 30' of red curb on either side of each intersection (also a low estimate). So we're left with: 5280' - 13*(35'+30'+30')=4045'. Okay, now driveways and other red curb. In front of the junior high, it is red curb for about 250'. There are also at least 2 dedicated crosswalks mid-block, give each of those 100' red curb (50' each direction). Let's do another low estimate of 5 driveways per block, at 20' each+10' red curb on either side, for 14 blocks. So, now we've got: 4045' - 250' -2(100') - 5*14*(20'+10'+10')=795'. Each parking spot is 20'. 795/20 = 39.75. Pretty damn close to 35. Again, PLEASE STOP MAKING THINGS UP

mrtrump Feb 18, 2018 10:33 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

To comment @ 10:24 A.M- The "buffered" bike lane is 1 mile long on the north side of Cota Street. A 1 mile stretch of road would fit more than 35 parking spaces.

mrtrump Feb 18, 2018 09:16 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

The on-street parking on Cota was eliminated to make a "buffered" bike lane. You can thank Gregg Hart, who is running for second district supervisor. You can also thank Mayor Cathy Murillo, who obviously bikes 20 miles a day. This is just the beginning. As second district supervisor, Hart plans to eliminate all on- street parking along Milpas, outer State Street, Anapamu, De La Vina and several other streets. Vote for people like Hart and Murillo and get your parking removed.

yin yang Feb 18, 2018 06:57 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

Logging in to criticize these personal attacks based on appearance. Grow up. Use words to make rational arguments. I won't downvote anymore; dumb or offensive posts should stay visible.

mrtrump Feb 18, 2018 11:33 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

To the comment @ 11:19 A.M- If you support eliminating the on-street parking on De La Vina , Anapamu, etc to make way for bike lanes, then Gregg Hart is your choice for second district supervisor. His plan is to remove thousands of on-street parking spaces throughout the City of Santa Barbara and the unincorporated parts of the second district.

a-1545226600 Feb 18, 2018 11:19 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

Great to see more bike lanes with separation from cars. I ride my bike a lot, but avoid streets like DeLaVina, Chapala, Santa Barbara, etc where there is no bike lane. Doubtful I would take advantage of Cota Street, but I'm sure the school kids will benefit. It would be great to remove parking from the streets without bike lanes to provide better traffic flow along with bicycles. (ie: DeLaVina, Santa Barbara). Maybe just have parking on one side only for all streets in the city.

seaninsb Feb 18, 2018 08:57 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

I would just find your own little special spot and paint it back green. You can even get stencils and paint 90 minutes on it. I know people who do it all the time. Parking is disappearing in this town, first it was the new bike path through the middle of town. Now this, I say we take it back!

a-1545226600 Feb 18, 2018 01:00 PM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

This "Me first!" attitude is so disappointing to see. I hope y'all pick up vandalism charges, get ticked, AND get towed. By the way, there is no such thing as a "90 minute green curb", derp.

a-1545226600 Feb 18, 2018 08:36 AM
What Happened to Cota Street's Parking?

Please explain what you mean by "all the parking is gone"... do you mean holes in the ground? Buses taking up the spaces? Roadside vendors? Gypsy caravans?