The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher title=
Reads 19291

Dear edhat community,

It’s hard to put into words what we’ve all been through the past few months. My intention was to write a positive letter after the New Year to discuss exciting changes with edhat, but then the events of January 9 happened. It changed everything for us locals.

Our friends and neighbors in the Montecito community have endured immense tragedy and are now faced with an uphill battle of rebuilding. The same goes for small businesses that are struggling to make it through the day, as our local economy suffered a massive hit.

I encourage you to do what you can to help these local businesses. Eat at a local restaurant, shop at small boutiques, chat with the owners, support what you love and what you use. We all need it and we can only get through it together.

Here at edhat, we too have felt the effects of businesses struggling to get back on their feet. Edhat is completely funded by the community. Our readers and our local businesses, by way of advertising, is what keeps us around to provide news and discussions as soon as they’re available.

Just a few months ago, edhat was on the brink of shutting down completely, but I decided to take it over and continue on with the commitment to keep it going for the community. Please help me keep this free local service around that keeps you connected and informed. Please upgrade your membership (you can upgrade here) or contribute just a few dollars (donate here). Every little bit helps and it's essential to the running of edhat as we're a 100% grassroots organization.

Also, tell your friends and favorite local businesses to advertise with us. We’re offering some great discounts only for locals and small businesses affected by the recent disasters. Our goal is to help as many small businesses as we can by getting the word out about their fantastic services. Email me at Lauren@edhat.com with questions about advertising.

As the media landscape evolves, edhat will continue to adapt. However, our core principles will remain the same. Edhat was created by and for the community. Our online discussions will not disappear because your voice is important to us.  With that said, we still have commenting rules in place to foster a healthy discussion. You can read our commenting rules and policies here.

To answer a question I get a lot, yes March Edness is still on! An announcement will be made soon about the rules and starting date. Our party last year was postponed after the old website’s meltdown. So last year’s winners will be honored along with this year’s winners for our March Edness party this coming April.

Thank you for your continued support and readership of edhat. It’s because of your appreciation and contributions that we continue to provide this free community service. And we will continue to make edhat better. There are a lot of updates on the horizon and there are many more great things to come. Stay tuned and thanks again for your dedication and enthusiasm.

Thanks,

Lauren Bray
Publisher
Edhat

Support local businesses! Donate to edhat, upgrade your free subscription to a paid subscription, and advertise with us!  Questions? Contact us at ed@edhat.com

mtndriver Feb 22, 2018 09:53 AM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

I agree with Yin Yang's comments. I feel committed to edhat because it has been such a community resource, but so much about the new site seems like a move backward. Not being able to edit our posts between writing and posting is a drag. Having responses to others' comments appear above the comment responded to--so confusing. The way comments are ordered is just very awkward now--it's not rocket science, most sites don't have problems with it. Also not being able to see the deleted comments, but still able to see the responses to them, is confusing. Used to be if a comment was deleted any responding comments were also deleted. That made sense. The paragraph thing also, could we get that ability back? I didn't get a notice saying my subscription was about to expire, always have in the past. That certainly helps keep things going. I did pay again, but if this were a new service I would not have, it's just out of loyalty. So many things have become clunky and awkward with the new website. Not an improvement.

SBsurferlife Feb 22, 2018 11:32 AM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

Didn't the ed staff just address these issues below? I don't understand why people don't just email them their questions. They said so many times the website is a work in progress and these issues will be fixed. It's not perfect, but it's the best thing we have in town and edhat said they're continuing to work on things.

a-1537944633 Feb 21, 2018 10:40 AM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

Another nice feature the old site had was the interim step between send and publish. Where you could review/proof and rewrite as necessary before committing to Submit. Any chance of reinstalling that feature?

yin yang Feb 19, 2018 06:19 PM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

Lauren, I do intend to email you, but the problems ARE huge. I will re-up my subscription because it's part of my online life now and I support many forms of local community. And thank you. You yourself are a draw. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- However -- I detest the backward post order. And the censoring of deleted/"nannied" comments. They should be visible. If it was a site I wasn't emotionally involved in, I would not re-subscribe. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you, Lauren. I like Edhat.

yin yang Feb 19, 2018 06:21 PM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

How could I leave out the inability to make a paragraph space! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- And that replying to a post puts the reply ABOVE the post instead of under it?! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :-) I guess I'll just email these posts of complaint to you. But I'll pay too.

Middle Ground Feb 19, 2018 06:05 PM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

I used to be on edhat 24/7. Barely once a week now. The changes made all directly affect what was great about it. 1. All news titles, views, number of comments for dozens of posts were viewable on one mobile screen. Now it’s scroll city. The theme chosen is very inefficient for mobile. 2. Comments were often the best source of complete information about a post. The first suggestion I gave last year was to change it back and sort comments from oldest to newest. I find it hard to believe it takes months of a tech guru to make this change. 3. The combined format of the old Ed greatly provided a place for community (both in good and bad forms...but that is life). If we can’t be opinionated and know the true thoughts of others around us, that seems super lame to me.

Edhat Staff Feb 19, 2018 10:55 PM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

Thanks for your feedback. Due to the recent natural disasters and turnover of the company, a lot of the fixes were put on hold to.. ya know, keep it running, but we're committed to having these tech upgrades and fix-its implemented. Although we all can't agree on every piece of feedback, we're working hard to make this new site the best it can be. Thanks for your support. -ed staff

a-1537944633 Feb 19, 2018 09:34 AM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

Submit more photos to Edhat, please! Trees, butterflies, birds, old cars, and of all things, tiles. The various tiles on buildings, etc. are beautiful to see. Please, you creative photographers, let us Edhatters enjoy your work!

a-1537944633 Feb 17, 2018 05:29 PM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

I agree. The orange print is almost impossible to read. I have loved Edhat for years, but now not so much. The deleted comments were amusing ,controversial and sometimes offensive, but it wasmy choice to read them or not. I also really miss not being able to forward articles to friends who have an interest in S.Barb but not enough to subscribe daily. i do not like having vote downs--why do others get to tell me what to read? I hope Edhat continues to improve Right now it has many problems. Roer is one of the redeeming features!!!

SBCactus Feb 17, 2018 05:28 PM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

We rely on Edhat (Roger) for accurate info when we hear sirens or see fire engines heading toward the hills. That info is greatly appreciated. In the pre-Edhat days we’d fret and search in vain for info. Now we know what to do, open the scanner app and check Edhat! Roger’s reporting is a vital SB resource. We’ll renew our subscription - we appreciate the reminder - I believe we used to get an email subscription renewal reminder. Of course, we enjoy all the other news & info (& comments) posted as well. Thank you for keeping Edhat going!

a-1537944633 Feb 17, 2018 04:35 PM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

I love Edhat. There are 802 paid subscribers. To keep Edhat afloat, there should be at least 1000. We need 198 more paid subscribers. Ideas? How about a fundraising day each month? Are there any skilled fundraisers out there?

Edhat Staff Feb 17, 2018 11:10 AM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

Thank you for your support!! Edhat Po Box 3846 Santa Barbara, CA 93130 Our address is located at the bottom of our site in the footer section.

Red Creek Feb 17, 2018 09:20 AM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

I think there used to be a button where if you preferred, you could have comments go from newest to oldest or oldest to newest as you preferred. That would be cool to have again. Having comments go from the top with newest to oldest at bottom is my preference, but since this seems to be a problem for some, having a choice would be great! In any event, having the local comments section is a priceless local forum.

tMo Feb 17, 2018 08:58 AM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

Edhat is a local treasure that will be missed if it disappears, despite all the snarky comments. In fact, it's the only news site that still allow comments at all! Noozhawk and Indy online have both stopped allowing comments. I don't envy Lauren having to deal with all the whining here, but I will renew my membership and I'm going to advertise on Edhat now, just to do my part. Don't give up Lauren and crew, Santa Barbara needs Edhat.

yin yang Feb 19, 2018 06:42 PM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

I didn't know either. Well, Edhat will have many more eyes and comments. I hope more paid subscriptions also. I still want deleted comments to be visible. One must know one's enemy. ;-) It helps to have readers do it; the Edhat staff doesn't have the time.

EastBeach Feb 17, 2018 02:35 PM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

@TMO - I didn't know the Indy had disabled comments. Thanks for the info. While I enjoy the content at their site, their comments section had been spiraling downhill for years (which is why I quit commenting @Indy after many years). It was filled with snarky comments more intended to provoke or get something off the commenter's chest than to inform or contribute to understanding. I often thought if I ever met one of those commenters, I'd see a misfit or walking time bomb in front of me :) There were exceptions of course but they eventually couldn't be heard over the noise. I definitely see that noise drifting over to Edhat. That's why I support any rules the principals at Edhat want to use to make sure this site doesn't turn into the comment sections of Noozhawk and the Indy. As the editor at Noozhawk said, sites like these aren't soapboxes where commenters are entitled to say anything that pops into their minds. Too many Edhat commenters have already abused their privilege to use this site.

a-1537944633 Feb 17, 2018 08:50 AM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

Hola. I will remain anonymous on this story/comment. I depend on Edhat for the up to the minute news. Here is good example of how on it they/Roger are. A few weeks ago I was at home on a Saturday (around 12N) getting ready to go to a party. I heard a noise out in my yard. I opened the front door so see what was going on and my dog rushed out the door before me and was barking. I saw the back side of police uniform in my yard. I said hi what is going on? He turned around and had a rifle in his hands and asked me to go back in the house, I grabbed my dog and went in and bolted the door. The next thing I know there are multiple squad cars on my street etc. I texted the person having the party to tell her I would be late and what was going on etc. She said "Did you check Edhat?" I said no frankly I was a bit freaked out. So she checked Edhat and said there was a stolen RV on the street with the suspects inside who at that point were refusing to come out. Hence the police presence. Edhat had ALL the info. while the incident was going on! (I think that is due to you Roger) It was AWESOME to be able to find out and not have to wait until the 6:00 PM news. THIS COMMUNITY NEEDS ED HAT! PLEASE SUPPORT IT AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR MAKE A DONATION.

Roger Feb 17, 2018 09:18 AM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

The people involved in that theft were dangerous the RV was taken at gunpoint the take down was in a residential neighborhood The police were there to take down the criminals as peacefully as possible I posted to warn residents, I'm grateful I serve a purpose. I agree with you on Lauren she is exactly what Peter would have wanted to carry on Edhat.

a-1537944633 Feb 17, 2018 08:48 AM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

Roger, I hope one of the other reasons you stick around is because we __need you__ for reassurance, safety, laughter, compassion, and amazement. When things get tough, I've noticed you get tougher. You have a strong backbone...allowing for the Roger Early Warning System...I so depend on. Thank you. And, thank you Lauren for staying strong and resilient. YOU are exactly what Peter Sklar would have wanted. And, thank you Edhatters for all your comments. You are great!

a-1537944633 Feb 17, 2018 08:19 AM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

Edhat, any chance you guys could switch to disqus comments instead of the current system? They have admin removal options and a setting that allows hidden "deleted" comments, which can be revealed with a click by the user.

Edhat Staff Feb 17, 2018 11:04 AM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

We've reviewed those options but there are certain limitations with Disqus. Our tech person is working on addressing some of the comment board issues soon.

a-1537944633 Feb 16, 2018 10:43 PM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

I like the new design. It's updated and modern and if anyone has operated a website in the past 5 years, they understand what a homepage is and how to navigate it. Unfortunately I think edhat's demographic of older readers are just frustrated with adapting to newer technology and don't like change. That's ok, but don't blame or refuse to support something you clearly read every day because it updated. Do you also still rent videos at Blockbuster? The old website had a meltdown because it couldn't adapt to new technology. I will support what I read and if I have feedback, I'll email edhat directly on how they can improve.

a-1537944633 Feb 16, 2018 10:24 PM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

Add me to the list of formerly regular subscribers who didn’t join after the hacking/changing of the guard. I have finally paid and I would like to ask if anyone knows how to get the comments to go oldest to newest. I simply can’t follow threads anymore in this new layout and the reverse chron order. I’d also love to know why my MacBook trackpad swipe navigation doesn’t work while on Edhat.

a-1537944633 Feb 16, 2018 10:45 PM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

I emailed edhat about the comment order and they said it's will be fixed soon. As far as the trackpad issue, I also use a Mac and haven't noticed this, might be a browser issue on your end.

Red Creek Feb 16, 2018 10:11 PM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

It would be a great loss for this community if we lost edhat. It may be a little quirky, but it often has the local news first, and locals get to post and share a variety of information, including Roger's police blotter. The new format is easy to read and the up down comment process is common in social media. Please spring for the subscription so we all can continue to enjoy this uniquely local media resource.

jqb Feb 17, 2018 06:25 AM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

" the up down comment process is common in social media" No it isn't. The EdHat order is just a bug and is nothing like the top posting that is used by old timers but is rare these days.

915films Feb 16, 2018 09:51 PM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

One of the reasons subscriptions are down is the over zealous censoring and the total scrubbing out of existence deleted comments. Often a thread has so many deletions that it’s difficult to understand what some of the comments mean. In the old format, if you weren’t afraid of being offended, you could see what was deleted. There was continuity. And, if you were a paid subscriber you could continue commenting after after unpaid subscribers were shutoff.

yin yang Feb 19, 2018 06:26 PM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

Yup. My critique too. And now it's 28 deleted comments. All because readers didn't like what was said. I can see it got very political, which is off-topic. Fine to delete comments for that. Not fine to make them unreadable.

yin yang Feb 19, 2018 06:26 PM

Edhat Staff Feb 17, 2018 10:59 AM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

The commenting system is a work in progress. The commenting order, viewing deleted comments, and much more are on our list of fix-its. We hope to have all the bugs and glitches completed soon. Thank you for your patience. -ed staff

a-1537944633 Feb 17, 2018 09:13 AM
The State of Edhat: A Letter from the Publisher

Agree. It seems like the unpopular or non PC commentators get the most down arrows and deletions whitch leads to the account going to moderation . There used to be some really entertaining people but for some reason they are all seemed to get the account put into moderation and they quit.

Pages