Source: City of Santa Barbara

Frontier Communications has started a construction project to bring its Frontier FiberOptic service to many parts of Santa Barbara.  The majority of work is being performed on existing overhead poles/lines and in existing underground structures. City staff is involved as it relates to traffic control and the installation of cabinets in entries to certain neighborhoods.

[The below text is written by Frontier Communications]

The wait is over, Santa Barbara. FiberOptic internet is coming to your neighborhood!

Access to high-speed internet is critical to everyone. Frontier Communications is expanding the reach of its fiber network so homes and businesses can benefit from Frontier’s mission to build Gigabit America.

Frontier now offers internet service as fast as 1 gigabit per second, allowing consumers to download and upload videos and files up to 25 times faster than the broadband service offered by cable companies in California. That means more people in the same household can enjoy great speeds at the same time, while working from home, home schooling, streaming, or just surfing the web.

You’ll notice a lot of activity in your surrounding areas. Before we bring fiber to your neighborhoods, we will:

• Secure city and local permits;
  • Locate other utilities to avoid impacting their facilities;
  • Create a path for our network and set up connection points to bring fiber to customers; and
  • Conduct technical and engineering work in our central office facilities and on the network itself.

If you are interested in knowing if your address qualifies for Frontier® FiberOptic service, contact 877-436-0325 (residential), 877-414-1311 (business), or visit https://www.getfrontierfiber.com/ for more information.

If you have any questions regarding the construction process, contact Frontier’s Construction and Engineering Departments contacts below:

Mack Gibson – Construction Director – mack.gibson@ftr.com

Albert Aleman – Engineering Director - alberto.aleman@ftr.com

jak Sep 22, 2021 01:26 PM
Frontier's Fiber to Home Project Starts

Hmmm. So if I want their service at our home in urban Santa Barbara they will charge me just about half of what our sunset telephone provider charges us for eight dsl lines in the rural Deep South a few miles outside the “big city” with a population of 5000. They advertise this service as have about half the speed of our eight stacked dsl lines. Not such an attractive deal as most Deep South urban concentrations with populations similar to Santa Barbara/Goleta have multiple providers offering entry level broadband for under twenty bucks a month and you can find plans at ten bucks a month if all you want is to stream one low quality movie at a time.

pstarSR Sep 22, 2021 12:01 PM
Frontier's Fiber to Home Project Starts

Yes, to the naysayers. There are signs at peabody school for work to be done on the cable I saw wrapped up for 5 years.

it literally said "frontier fiber placement" on the no parking sign. its coming

yippeeio Sep 22, 2021 11:01 AM
Frontier's Fiber to Home Project Starts

ive switched to this, have only good things to say about it. I live on the ocean side of cliff drive on the west end of the mes., After years of slow internet, i
I cannot believe the difference. This change did entail switching the phone to voip, with the result being clearer sounding service and a combined phone and internet for less than half the monthly cost we were paying before. Easy to have two zooms running at the same time as the roku streaming for TV , etc, etc. If you are lucky enough to be where you can get it, i recommend it. switching took about a one hour service call, to run the fiber from the pole to the house and install a box and a router. no need for cables either. Very fast.New Wifi really good. Feel lucky to live on a street that had fiber on the phone poles- waited 1 day after making the call.
Unbelievable!! I guess the downside is i'll have to find something else to either use as an excuse or direct my ire at.

Briansb Sep 22, 2021 10:08 AM
Frontier's Fiber to Home Project Starts

I cannot wait for this service. They've been working in my neighborhood for a while. Cox is the absolute worst. The internet cuts out several times a week and I have to reboot the modem constantly. I've had techs out and all they do is look around at the wiring and sometimes replace the modem which does nothing. Cox has had a monopoly too long. I pay $75 per month for 150mb down and 10 up. That's not even unlimited data. They charge more any time I go over. Frontier has a 940 mb down (wow!) for $70 per month with unlimited data. I cannot wait to tell Cox to pound sand. They are the worst.

SBSand Sep 21, 2021 01:22 PM
Frontier's Fiber to Home Project Starts

I think it will take some time before I consider trusting these guys! I invested in their stock and watched them declare bankruptcy, completely losing all value of my stocks in the process. I also have several family members that have them in other states and the service is terrible. I hate Cox but until there is a legit, reliable, competitor I feel stuck.

SBSand Sep 21, 2021 06:12 PM
Frontier's Fiber to Home Project Starts

I hope so! It does seem like a great step towards it. I am going to be part of the watch and see how it goes crowd. I hope that it goes well and that they are a viable high-speed AFFORDABLE internet option. Cox needs some competition and we need lower prices.

bicyclist Sep 21, 2021 11:31 AM
Frontier's Fiber to Home Project Starts

Sounds great up till you check availability: "Sorry, we're having some technical difficulties. Call 877-891-4110 and one of our sales experts will help you complete your order." I just wanted to CHECK - NOT place an "Order", almost sounds like bait&switch?

OrvGull Sep 21, 2021 05:11 PM
Frontier's Fiber to Home Project Starts

Hmm, good thought, but it didn't work for me. Even after allowing all 133(!) trackers it still gave me an error.
Most of these fiber-to-the-home projects die on the vine for various reasons, so my hopes weren't high.

mp805 Sep 21, 2021 04:55 PM
Frontier's Fiber to Home Project Starts

Had to remove my Ublock or pop up extension for the page to work. Was getting the same message but when i turned off Ublock I was able to finally get the info. So Frontier is only offering the most basic tier which is downloads between 9 Mbps and 12Mbps...hopefully once they get their equipment installed in the area they will offer more offerings. This should be basically what Verizon Fios was offering long ago.

OrvGull Sep 21, 2021 04:31 PM
Frontier's Fiber to Home Project Starts

I get a page titled "Unserviceable Soft" which says "We're having trouble finding your selected address," so I guess they aren't planning on serving my area.

a-1632253728 Sep 21, 2021 12:48 PM
Frontier's Fiber to Home Project Starts

I had no problems checking 2 different addresses. They don't care what internet connection you have, I have Cox too. Probably just a technical issue where your address is inputted differently in their system, so it can't find it.

bicyclist Sep 21, 2021 12:21 PM
Frontier's Fiber to Home Project Starts

Yeah just don't click on ANY thing that says "Check Availability" the link sends you to:
so yeah "really easy to do"??? Which results in their "Error" of "technical difficulties". Oh wait maybe because I'm checking from a COX connection?