Black Bear Sightings Near Parma Park title=

By an edhat reader

A neighbor friend took this photo of a black bear by their chicken coop this week and another neighbor discovered a bear with a chicken in its mouth. There have been a lot of sightings in the areas of Stanwood and Las Alturas and near Parma Park. Stay vigilant!

LoveMySB Sep 20, 2021 08:49 AM
Black Bear Sightings Near Parma Park

Unfortunately this poor bear is probably doomed because of these stupid human beings. I agree I hope someone calls Fish & Game before that bear is killed for no reason.

biguglystick Sep 18, 2021 09:30 AM
Black Bear Sightings Near Parma Park

What a lovely sight! Love our local wild neighbors. It's really easy to co-exist with wildlife. Just secure your trash and small pets. Healthy happy bear! Yes!

Babycakes Sep 18, 2021 08:55 AM
Black Bear Sightings Near Parma Park

I warned friends of ours to NOT put food out for the bears. They really/really/really want to get a video of a bear in their backyard. I explained that it was super dangerous to not only them, but to others in the neighborhood to purposely entice these animals into populated areas. They insist on doing this, and even picked up a box of day-old donuts to put out in their yard. They live near Parma Park, so my hope is that they get their pics/vids and stop putting "grub" out for the bears. God help them if they get attacked by a mama bear protecting her cubs (and cupcakes/donuts).

Babycakes Sep 21, 2021 08:53 AM
Black Bear Sightings Near Parma Park

Update: The "donut traps" did not work and my friends did not get any bear pics/vids. Maybe they learned a lesson....maybe.

Channelfog Sep 21, 2021 07:03 AM
Black Bear Sightings Near Parma Park

Bears buzzed on too much white sugar, GMO oil donuts; what could go wrong with that?
Be sure to call F & W though it may already be too late for this lovely bear.

a-1631999256 Sep 18, 2021 02:07 PM
Black Bear Sightings Near Parma Park

BABYCAKES: (805) 568-1231 is the phone # for Fish & Wildlife (formerly known as Fish & Game). If you know for certain that your neighbors are deliberately enticing Bears w/ food, I would call and ask that a warden go and have a talk with said neighbors. ---------Many years ago we had a neighbor who was using a wrist rocket to shoot at Crows. We were puzzled as to why why glass marbles kept showing up in our driveway. One Christmas morning we found the answer. Turned out our neighbor was annoyed by Crows. He thought it would be a good idea to come (from 1/2 a block away) to shoot at the two to three Crows who were using our huge Eucalyptus street tree as a roost. Asking this neighbor to stop had no effect. The warden set that guy straight ----- problem solved.

Babycakes Sep 18, 2021 11:27 AM
Black Bear Sightings Near Parma Park

Sonny: I never thought of my friends in those terms, but I do believe that the bear will be come so accustomed to being fed by humans, that at some point the bear is going to do "something bad" (hurt a child or worse), the bear will be put down in a New York minute. I did call them back a few minutes ago to address my concerns, but they hung up on me! According to them, I "have NO right to tell them what to do or not to do" and that includes telling them not to put the donuts out for the bear just so they can fulfill their strong desire for a photo op. Hopefully, they (the husband) will calm down and call me back to apologize for being such an #$$h0le. They certainly seem touchy these days, and all I want to do is save the bear(s) from being killed by Fish & Game. I'm starting to think that their public environmentalism is for talk and show ("Oh look, we are so green and stewards of the sky/earth/universe/land, and take up popular enviro stances to prove it."), and not heart-felt.

sonny Sep 18, 2021 10:54 AM
Black Bear Sightings Near Parma Park

Please tell your friends that are feeding the bear that they are fake environmentalists and are worse than wildlife trophy hunters.

Babycakes Sep 18, 2021 10:21 AM
Black Bear Sightings Near Parma Park

BUS: They said all of the donuts were gone this morning, and plan to get another batch later today from Eller's on upper State Street. I really do not understand their actions as they are complete environmentalists (anti oil and big business, go to Earth Day celebrations, dress up for Soltice, drive a Prius around town, and a Subaru Highlander when camping). Unfortunately, they are hell-bent on capturing a video/photo of this creature. To me, it seems like they really do not care what happens to this or any other bear. I think it is illegal to put bait out to attract bears.

biguglystick Sep 18, 2021 09:31 AM
Black Bear Sightings Near Parma Park

Yes, please tell your friends that feeding the bears can get the poor bears KILLED because of idiot humans. Thanks.

mtndriver Sep 17, 2021 06:21 PM
Black Bear Sightings Near Parma Park

Also seen on Orizaba Lane, at Sheffield Reservoir and on Las Canoas Rd, and could be same bear that ate some chickens in Mission Canyon--if so, s/he really gets around! The bear has torn the door off of a couple of chicken coops. Strong and smart.