Santa Barbara Appoints Inaugural Information Technology Director

Source: City of Santa Barbara

[On Tuesday], City Council approved the Interim City Administrator’s appointment of Justin Cure as the inaugural Information Technology Director for the City of Santa Barbara. Mr. Cure comes to Santa Barbara from Longview, Texas, where he has served as the Director of Information Services for the past two years, managing a team of 18 and providing services to a neighboring community. Mr. Cure worked his way up through the ranks, starting as a GIS Technician. Mr. Cure has been instrumental in leading the department in modernization and streamlining functions, including creating the first Information Technology (IT) strategic plan and implementing several enterprise-wide technology platforms. Mr. Cure has a Bachelor of Science degree in Geography from Stephen F. Austin State University and has a number of technical certifications in his field.

Although the City has long had an Information Technology Division within its Administrative Services group, Council approved the creation of an Information Technology Department in 2020. The position was not filled during the past year because of the economic impacts of the pandemic. Having the IT function become a department recognizes the integral role that information technology plays in the City’s workplace and allows the City to continue to improve its systems to more effectively and efficiently provide services and increase communication and transparency to the public.

Justin Cure said, “It is a great honor and a privilege to be named Santa Barbara’s first IT Director. I look forward to serving the citizens of such a beautiful community.”

Interim City Administrator Rebecca Bjork said, “I am very excited to welcome Justin to the City’s team and looking forward to continuing to improve our IT platforms for our residents, visitors, and employees”.

PitMix Sep 17, 2021 08:52 AM
Santa Barbara Appoints Inaugural Information Technology Director

Expanding the bureaucracy is how you win at the public agency game. Maybe if they could explain to us how not having a separate department caused inefficiency and a great waste of money, they could justify the new Department to us. I doubt that they are able to do this.

bicyclist Sep 16, 2021 07:53 AM
Santa Barbara Appoints Inaugural Information Technology Director

Justin sounds SUPER qualified with the information provided.? A "TEXAN" with a BS in "Geography from Stephen F. Austin State University", then "worked his way up through the ranks, starting as a GIS Technician", all the necessary requirements of an IT Director for SB. FYI: I personally have better "Qualifications" than that...

SBSand Sep 16, 2021 11:32 AM
Santa Barbara Appoints Inaugural Information Technology Director

Really? Nice way to summarize and leave out the actual work experience listed here that he gained from working his way up the ladder! I don't know what world you live in but in the IT world having hands-on, real-life experience gained from climbing the ladder and working hard is worth so much more than a degree in a related field. Also, technical certs don't get handed to you, they require some serious studying!

"Mr. Cure worked his way up through the ranks, starting as a GIS Technician. Mr. Cure has been instrumental in leading the department in modernization and streamlining functions, including creating the first Information Technology (IT) strategic plan and implementing several enterprise-wide technology platforms. Mr. Cure has a Bachelor of Science degree in Geography from Stephen F. Austin State University and has a number of technical certifications in his field."

a-1631860652 Sep 16, 2021 11:37 PM
Santa Barbara Appoints Inaugural Information Technology Director

Byz, of course I believe you. But I would still appreciate a link and/or a source for the details in your information.

I worked for the County from 2010 to 2015. I was at a clerk level; I served the community at a public counter. I made about $13 an hour, but the health and other benefits were great and made my hourly wage very large when taken into account. I was able to take a few weeks of family leave when a parent was in hospital and then bed-ridden. I quit, after 5 years, because I could no longer handle working in the department I was in, couldn't take any more public abuse. I just couldn't do it any longer. A few months later I was full-time aiding my elder and ailing parents, who could afford to aid me, thank goodness.

I hope I have some County benefits; I did vest after 5 years.
I understand resentment against the SEIU union, which was useless to me when I needed them.
But if one is jealous or resentful of a good, demanding job with good pay? Go to work for local government! You have to test in and stay on hiring list for months or years. It does take work to obtain a local gov't job.
I worked in a department stressful enough that people literally walked out, at least I gave 2 weeks notice.
Go for it, all of you who denigrate county workers. See if you can handle a public-facing, low-level gov't job.

Byzantium Sep 16, 2021 05:15 PM
Santa Barbara Appoints Inaugural Information Technology Director

More happy news about government jobs - they pay 46.2% more than private sector jobs. This is just in: "The average hourly wages and benefits of state and local government employees are 46.2 percent more than the average hourly wages and benefits of workers in private industry, according to data published Thursday by the Bureau of Labor Statistics".

SBSand Sep 16, 2021 03:39 PM
Santa Barbara Appoints Inaugural Information Technology Director

Exactly edhat! People who are complaining here make me wonder if they are actually doing anything to better their own lives! Lots of places are hiring right now, many good jobs available for people who are willing to work.