Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport title=

(Photo: SB County)

A loaded handgun was found inside a female passenger's carry-on bag at the Santa Barbara Airport last Friday.

A Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officer discovered the gun during a routine screening on February 9 at 4:30 p.m., reports KEYT News.

The officer contacted Santa Barbara Airport Patrol and discovered the gun was a 9mm Glock 43 pistol that was loaded with seven rounds of ammunition and one in the chamber.

The female passenger was traveling to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.

Federal TSA rules state the traveler must declare each firearm when presented for transport. Regulations also state:

"Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations.

Firearm parts, including magazines, clips, bolts and firing pins, are prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage."

The woman was cited, the gun was confiscated, and she was allowed to continue her flight to Phoenix.

a-1542421126 Feb 14, 2018 04:35 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

Fwed, Fwed, Fwed. As an eminent handgun guru, you're surely aware that Glock has become the Poster Boy for accidental discharge. As such, several law enforcement agencies no longer allow Glocks as service weapons. All Glock handguns feature the same integrated safety/trigger design, which they market as "no need to disengage a safety catch", along with "light trigger pull". From a mechanical engineering viewpoint, it may be considered clever, but from an ergonomics and user interface perspective, it's a recipe for disaster; a single point failure mode, intimately intertwining the firing actuator with the safety.

FredButters Feb 14, 2018 06:02 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

LOL I love the inference about what I think. Her being irresponsible is definitely an issue with me, but she shouldn't be put on the no fly list snd I'm not surprised she was only cited and released.

a-1542421126 Feb 14, 2018 05:08 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

And she was irresponsible! Oh, that doesn't matter in your version of the world. It was just a tiny oversight with a deadly weapon in contravention of federal law. We all do that regularly.

FredButters Feb 14, 2018 05:03 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

Which agencies banned Glocks? I seriously couldn't find it online. Not that it matters though, my entire point is people are ready to crucify her for carrying a loaded gun like the fact that it's loaded is the main problem here. "She had a gun?! AND it was loaded?!"

Red Creek Feb 14, 2018 02:51 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

Lots of comments about guns and concealed carry. Took a class in another state to get a permit a few years ago, was interested about the process after being a range instructor in the in infantry. If you can breath in that state and are not legally blind you get a permit. So the ability of carriers is not in question, the bar is low. And so are U.S. standards for control of extremely dangerous weapons, as the daily mass murder rate shows.

a-1542421126 Feb 14, 2018 01:11 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

News is coming in now about 20 injured in a mass shooting TODAY in a Florida high school. But please, by all means, keep defending this moron who INTENTIONALLY tried to bring a loaded gun on a passenger plane. I'm sure the families of the children being shot today at school would love to hear more of your opinions about guns.....

jqb Feb 14, 2018 10:17 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

"I'm not 100% sure... So I guess that means I have no business owning a gun" Indeed. "I'll be sure to turn them all in this afternoon because of your opinion" No, you would only do that if you were responsible, and we've already established that you aren't.

FredButters Feb 14, 2018 06:07 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

A CCW let's law enforcement know the person most likely isn't a criminal because off all the background checks, the interview, the classes etc. I made no comment about how responsible I think she is because I don't know her. And I'm just guessing she was cited and released because she has her permit

sacjon Feb 14, 2018 04:52 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

"Sorry, someone else already won that award." - that someone is you FREDDY boy! To say that someone unintentionally (that word is the opposite of the word "intentionally") packed a loaded gun in to their carry on luggage is seriously the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. Well, that is assuming everything else you say about this fine woman is true, regarding her outstanding gun knowledge and abilities given that she had a CCW permit. So, are you lying about how "responsible" she must have been to get that CCW in the first place, or are you lying about how this could easily be "unintentional?" Which is it? Can't be both!

FredButters Feb 14, 2018 04:36 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

I have two secure range bags at home and two safes. I'm pretty sure I removed my firearm from secure bag #2 and placed it in safe #1 last night but I'm not 100% sure... So I guess that means I have no business owning a gun. I'll be sure to turn them all in this afternoon because of your opinion.

a-1542421126 Feb 14, 2018 01:40 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

If you can't remember where your gun is (which is the only scenario that supports this being "unintentional"), then you have ZERO business owning a gun! Why is that so hard to understand Fred?

FredButters Feb 14, 2018 01:35 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

Right... This was the only place on the Internet to update people about the shooting. Obviously you know nothing about carrying a concealed weapon. Chambering a round happens every single time before you holster. Every. Single. Time. Otherwise you're carrying a paper weight. My point is that it's not something you dwell on throughout the day.

a-1542421126 Feb 14, 2018 01:20 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

FRED - it was the best place here to post the update about today's tragedy. Sorry if that offended you. As for her intentionally taking a loaded gun on the plane, are you freaking serious?! Do you honestly, with a straight face, think she accidentally and unwittingly loaded her gun, chambered a round, and put it in her carry on bag? Seriously? That's hardly an "assumption." Please spare us the BS.

sacjon Feb 14, 2018 01:23 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

Oh, and as for "embarrassing posts" - I think trying to say this was not intentional pretty much takes the cake for the dumbest thing I've seen written here today. You win, congratulations!

FredButters Feb 14, 2018 01:15 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

This has NOTHING to do with the article! This wins "the most embarrassing post" for today! How can you possibly connect a mass shooter/murderer to someone who accidentally carried something onto a plane that she probably carries with her at all other times!? How do you know she intentionally did it? More assumptions and straw man arguments.

Yeti Feb 14, 2018 09:30 AM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

This person that brought a LOADED GUN in her carry on luggage is an ABSOLUTE IDIOT and should have their CCW permit yanked! If she can not handle this basic function of being smart enough to REMEMBER that she has a loaded weapon in her possession, then she is probably not smart enough to remember simple basic safety pointers like leaving the gun laying around the house for some kid to pick up and accidentally shoot themselves.. which is unfortunately a very common occurrence. She obviously is not fit to have a CCW.

FredButters Feb 14, 2018 08:50 AM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

WHY does everyone want to know her name? Can't wait to start your anti-gun doxing crusade? Let me explain what cops think when someone hands them a CCW permit: "Ok this person has gone through - and been cleared by - extensive state and federal background checks, and an in person interview with the Sheriff's dept which determined their state of mind and moral character. The Sgt could have ordered a psych evaluation but probably didn't or that evaluation determined that they were in good mental health. They've gone through and passed the required, state approved classroom and live fire training and the sheriff's department sent deputies to their house to verify their residency. This CA permit is honored by 22 other states because those states agree that this person in good standing. And they've done ALL of this because they wants to do things legally and by the book because they're obviously a law abiding citizen." That's who this article is about. This person made a mistake by not checking her firearm... that is all. Considering this is Edhat someone will no doubt nit pick about that "law abiding" part but ask yourself if you've ever been cited for an infraction like this woman was - and if so, does that mean you are no longer a law abiding person in general? Because I have a feeling most sane people would answer "no" to that question.

a-1542421126 Feb 14, 2018 08:01 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

Do you not understand what "logic" is? I wasn't comparing anything, just pointing out how flawed your logic is. You're welcome.

FredButters Feb 14, 2018 07:40 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

Did you seriously compare 1st degree murder with this woman getting a citation? LOL. Another straw man fallacy . Why are people on here making things up, claiming it's how I think then using that fabrication to argue against me? Nice ad hominem too.

a-1542421126 Feb 14, 2018 05:00 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

"Anyone carrying a gun should also know TSA rules, which supports the idea that this was just a mistake." Hmmm, that's some interesting logic. So, here's one for you: I know the rules against murder, so if I research different poisons, then buy some, and then put it someone's salad (or a meat dish if you like) and then serve it to them, it was clearly a mistake, right? Wow, way to sport some brains there buddy!

FredButters Feb 14, 2018 01:28 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

Great point, I hadn't looked that up but just did... I don't see any recalls for the Glock 43. There was something about the magazine being recalled over insertion problems but that would only make it harder to load. If you have a link I'd like to read it (I'm being honest) BUT... Do you know what an accidental discharge is? It means someone shot their gun when they didn't mean to. It doesn't mean the gun shot itself. Usually for something like a Glock it means something pressed the trigger by accident (finger, shirt when reholstering, etc). You can literally drag a Glock behind a truck and it won't go off unless the trigger is pressed.

FredButters Feb 14, 2018 01:11 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

Anyone carrying a gun should also know TSA rules, which supports the idea that this was just a mistake. I accidentally brought a pocket knife through security because I always have it on me. I don't think I Should be added to a no fly, knife ban list.

a-1542421126 Feb 14, 2018 12:09 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

The internet is not place for high iq debate.. it barely can be accomplished in real debate platform. .. i was shocked at the tsa cops release. And i am going directly to them and ask more. A loaded ready to fire gun was attempted onboard purposely. .. deliberate. Women are killers. They are way mire vidcious .. try divorce records.

Spignato Feb 14, 2018 11:06 AM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

Listen .. politics of law abiding gun law does not mean she is safe ... obviously she was not!! She was smart enough to pass tests .. she knew she was bringing gun loaded ready to go .. on struct desire to do so. I dont know any good way to tell you tgat bring up politics when some women got away so far with drliberately attempting to bring gun aboard ....... i want her detained and reviewed continously. Till her connections are reviewed too

Spignato Feb 14, 2018 07:25 AM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

Sorry but truth is. I dont drink any alchohol ... zero. Im passionate health I do blood tests to keep track of balance in human body. I practicevhealth. Gym is home. ... i mentioned alcohol from because its epidemic and with opiods. My ex Slchoholic. Many many women drink. A lot. I am a passionate bad speller when upset. Thus previous reply with great logic assumed im drunk. That is why i eliminate facebook and only only on occasion reply on internet .. .... santa barbara is my home. Dui killed a 91 year old man after he had just been evacuated from mudslides .. it infuriates. The driver had three duis in three years..... that is what im talking about. What if this women with gun was part of epidemic worh bullet in chamber.. real possible!!!

Spignato Feb 14, 2018 07:25 AM

a-1542421126 Feb 14, 2018 07:26 AM

Spignato Feb 14, 2018 07:26 AM

FredButters Feb 13, 2018 10:26 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

I suppose these comments make sense considering you can't get a CCW if you're a SB County resident, but carrying a pistol with a round in the chamber is the preferred way to carry a concealed firearm because if you need to defend yourself you do not have time to chamber a round let alone load the gun then chamber a round. A Glock 43 is very safe with a chambered round provided the trigger is covered. It's unfortunate that people who know little to nothing about firearms vote on firearm related laws.

FredButters Feb 14, 2018 01:44 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

When someone comments at how shocking and dangerous it is for someone else to be carrying a Glock with a chambered round, they don't know anything (or at least, enough) about carrying a concealed weapon. Try me. Who on this thread thinks carrying a loaded glock is a bad idea and also has their CCW?

a-1542421126 Feb 14, 2018 09:30 AM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

It's abundantly clear that gun worshipers can rationalize any behavior. Mr. Fred, speaking of strawmen, has no clue about the firearms familiarity and expertise of any of the commenters here besides himself, and that is obviously an inflated view. If you're following this story, you'd know that the woman's CCW was issued in Arizona, and if you are aware of their CCW requirements, you know how specious Fred's claims are as to their rigor.

a-1542421126 Feb 14, 2018 08:42 AM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

Fred - so you must be a medical Dr., lawyer, CPA, CEO of a major corporation, political analyst, and so many other professions having "expertise" in the subject matters on which we vote. My my, good job Fred! You must be the most successful man alive! Or you're just full of it and think you are some kind of self taught "expert" simply because you, like most of us, read about the issues before voting on them. Wow, how high is that horse of yours?

FredButters Feb 14, 2018 08:37 AM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

" And if you have the ten seconds to fumble it out of the bag, the extra half second to chamber a round is nothing." Man... it's painful reading your comments. What kind of bag was her gun in? Was it a CCW purse, fanny pack, backpack (these exist, and they protect the trigger)? Does it always take 10 seconds to draw from a CCW bag and do you always fumble when doing so? How do you know the level of this person's training or have fast she can draw? "In this case there's no excuse" for what LOL?! That last bit about how being in a panic automatically means you haven't taken the time to... I'm not even sure what you're saying but somehow it means the person didn't think about something?! What the actual he.ll? THIS people... THIS is what I'm talking about. This person has almost no idea what they're saying (other than googling what a Glock 43 trigger safety is), yet they've come to many conclusions about firearms safety, available equipment, training and active shooter protection in high stress situations. Please... please take a handgun safety course before you vote on any firearms related laws in the future.

FredButters Feb 14, 2018 06:54 AM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

I forgot about the edhat commenters reliance on straw man arguments... I never said it shouldn't be illegal to carry a gun on a flight and my comment has nothing to do with the NRA (of which I am not a member). Yes, I am an expert on everything I vote on, especially if it has the potential to take away people's Constitutional rights, and you should be too.

FredButters Feb 14, 2018 06:46 AM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

And based in your comment, you are not one of those people who know a lot about firearms. You think Goleta is so safe? Lol Go ask any sheriff dept about CCW permits and I bet they'll tell you the same thing they have ALL told me - they want good people to be armed.

FredButters Feb 14, 2018 06:47 AM

a-1542421126 Feb 13, 2018 11:03 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

People who really know a lot about firearms know that it's insanity to let civilians who think they know about firearms carry them around in a civilized society, concealed or not. Maybe in Mogadishu, but not in Goleta.

a-1542421126 Feb 13, 2018 10:44 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

Fred - so I suppose you are an expert in every subject matter on which you vote? Please, spare us the holier than thou NRA BS. Carrying a loaded gun on to a plane is illegal for a reason, chambered round or not.

a-1542421126 Feb 13, 2018 10:43 PM
Loaded Gun Found at Santa Barbara Airport

Yeah, and nothing in your bag has entered the space between the trigger guard and the dual trigger/safety. But you can't see that through the bag. In a holster, cocked and locked might not be so bad, but in this case, with no separate safety, there's no excuse, no matter how hard you try. And if you have the ten seconds to fumble it out of the bag, the extra half second to chamber a round is nothing. Having to use a gun in a panic means you haven't taken the time to do any thinking about the predicament you're putting yourself in.

Pages