Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status title=

Update by Santa Barbara County Public Health Department
August 4, 2021

The Santa Barbara County Public Health Department has issued a Health Officer Order which requires the use of masks in indoor public settings.  This order requires all individuals, regardless of vaccination status, to wear face coverings when indoors in public settings, with limited exceptions, starting at 5 p.m. on Friday, August 6, 2021

The Delta variant has been present in Santa Barbara County since April and is highly transmissible. While the risk for COVID-19 infection is highest among unvaccinated people, the incidence of infection among fully vaccinated people is increasing. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has confirmed in preliminary data that fully vaccinated people who do become infected with the Delta variant can be infectious and can spread the virus to others.

“Hospitalizations have increased, primarily among unvaccinated people. The County of Santa Barbara is also seeing a concerning increase in cases among staff and residents in long-term care facilities and in other congregate living settings,” said Public Health Director Dr. Van Do-Reynoso. “Over the past two weeks, the County’s active COVID-19 cases have increased significantly with a case rate of 12.4 per 100,000 and a test positive of 6.8% which would have placed Santa Barbara County in the Purple Tier if the tier system were still active,” says Do- Reynoso.

“Requiring indoor masking is the least disruptive strategy and can make an immediate impact on limiting the spread of COVID-19, specifically the Delta variant,” said Public Health Officer, Dr. Henning Ansorg.  “This Health Officer Order is intended to protect everyone to the greatest extent possible, from the substantial spread of the virus being seen now in our community.  In addition, the order is intended to support the continued operations of local businesses, activities and schools,” says Ansorg.

The current Health Officer Order is consistent with the guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the California Department of Public Health, which recommend that fully vaccinated people wear masks while in indoor public settings.  The full Health Officer Order can be read here: https://publichealthsbc.org/health-officer-orders/

Visit https://publichealthsbc.org/vaccine to learn where you can find a vaccination site near you or call 2-1-1. If you missed your second dose, please find a vaccination clinic near you.

Source: County of Santa Barbara
August 3, 2021

Beginning Friday, August 6, Santa Barbara County Public Health is mandating the use of universal face coverings indoors, regardless of vaccination status. Public Health is closely monitoring case rates, and will be releasing a universal mandatory mask mandate in indoor settings only. The SBCPH HOO will be issued Wednesday, August 4, to be effective Friday, August 6 at 5:00 P.M. and will be available at https://publichealthsbc.org/. In all indoor Santa Barbara County businesses, masks will be required regardless of vaccination status. Updated signage for businesses will be posted later this week at recoverysbc.org. At this time, social distancing is not required.

In addition, the State of California released an additional Health Officer Order on masking and testing for unvaccinated individuals in particular settings.

The updated State guidance includes:
  • Recommendation for universal masking indoors Statewide
  • Adds Adult and Senior Care Facilities to settings where all individuals must wear masks indoors
  • References new requirements for unvaccinated workers in the State Health Officer July 26 Order

In this updated State guidance, all facilities listed below must verify vaccine state of all workers. For acceptable forms of verification, please click here. In addition, all facilities identified in this order must follow CDPH masking guidance which requires masks for all individuals in indoor settings, regardless of vaccination status. Surgical masks are recommend. This includes the healthcare settings, state and local correctional facilities, homeless shelters and long term care centers. Additional CDPH masking guidance can be found here. Testing requirements in this new guidance requires:

Note that the State Health Officer Order applies to the following settings:

A. Acute Health Care and Long-Term Care Settings:
  • 1. General Acute Care Hospitals
  • 2. Skilled Nursing Facilities (including Subacute Facilities)
  • 3. Intermediate Care Facilities

B. High-Risk Congregate Settings:

C. Other Health Care Settings:
  • 7. Acute Psychiatric Hospitals
  • 8. Adult Day Health Care Centers
  • 9. Adult Day Programs Licensed by the California Department of Social Services
  • 10. Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) and PACE Centers
  • 11. Ambulatory Surgery Centers
  • 12. Chemical Dependency Recovery Hospitals
  • 13. Clinics & Doctor Offices (including behavioral health, surgical)
  • 14. Congregate Living Health Facilities
  • 15. Dental Offices
  • 16. Dialysis Centers
  • 17. Hospice Facilities
  • 18. Pediatric Day Health and Respite Care Facilities
  • 19. Residential Substance Use Treatment and Mental Health Treatment Facilities

For questions regarding business operations, please contact [email protected].

Roger Aug 06, 2021 06:10 PM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

I wear a mask everywhere except at home, I wear gloves, I ever wear foot coverings people think I'm weird I don't care what people think I listen to a scanner I hear shit others don't, or don't want to The other day a nurse gave me The mean eye because I was wearing shoe coverings I guess maybe she thinks there should be more for doctors than my worthless ass. I don't care I bought them and the fact that doctors don't always tell the truth about shit like the fact that the vaccine raises your blood pressure mine went up. Though I was pounding the salt at the time instead of being honest they wanted me to take that second shot right a way don't wait "Do it now"I don't go out nor do I hang with anyone truth be told I don't like many people that is ok don't care how others feel about me I'm comfortable with being dis liked because that will keep those people from talking to me. Being alone and not talking to others is not a bad thing especially when there is a pandemic floating around. Today I went to my bank and it was closed until further notice because of covid..I'm doing my part not to get it and not to pass it others can do what they want I think I'll wear a mask the rest of my life...

a-1628128736 Aug 04, 2021 06:58 PM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

I'm pretty amazed at the responses here. When COVID started breaking out in China in January, I knew it was coming here. I got out my N95s left over from Thomas Fire. When it blew over Europe, and they went into lockdowns in February, I thought, yep, it's coming here. It took the WHO too long to declare a pandemic. BEFORE the shutdowns here, in early March, I shuttered my office, started working from home, and bought sanitizer. I didn't need to wait for mask mandates. I didn't need to be told to get a vaccine. I got flu, pneumonia, and shingles shots in fall of 2020. I got the COVID vaccine as soon as I was eligible. I enjoyed that bit of freedom in June and early July, but when Israel started reporting 'breakthrough cases' with Delta, and then the UK had a huge surge of them, even with the vaccinated, again I knew it was coming here. When Pfizer three weeks ago said booster shots will probably be needed, and the CDC didn't agree, I believed Pfizer. Fully vaccinated, I've been masking for two weeks. I still work from home. I cancelled all lunches and in person events this week. I cancelled my trip to Europe. I don't know why everyone is freaking out. There's a disease raging that kills people. Vaccinated people can spread it too, and get it, and get hospitalized. They're just far more protected than those not vaccinated. To that latter set, I can only wonder why they didn't see fit to protect themselves.
But for everyone out there - quit expecting your government to get this 100% right every time. Protect yourself first, worry about the rest of it later, if you've got the time.

kmnsb Aug 04, 2021 04:13 PM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

Had Covid in January (wasn't bad at all, 2 days of fatigue), got the vaccine in April, got Covid again in July = Delta Var., this time it was worse than the first.

Science, data (that is kinda rt but has holes), the left, the right, research, tons of money thrown at this virus and nobody really knows anything.
Get the vaccine, wash your hands, wear a mask, avoid crowds, if you have underlying condition be cautious as [email protected]#! !

kmnsb Aug 05, 2021 08:49 AM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

1st time= zero idea, second time I believe a co worker came back earlier than the days required by the CDC& County Health. The 10 days since the Vid started is up to the person..... (speculating here, otherwise I have no idea how I got it again.)

bosco Aug 04, 2021 10:12 AM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

The time for mask mandates is over. 6 months ago it made sense, but not anymore. The answer is clearly vaccination. This back and forth peddling by the CDPH is not the right strategy. I get why they're doing it (easy to enforce, visible, mildly effective, etc.). But it's sending the wrong message. It's clear to anyone that knows anything that vaccines are the answer here. While I don't support a blanket vaccine mandate I support a smart and well targeted vaccine campaign. The stubborn antivaxxers will not be persuaded by force or even by logical arguments. We need a strong campaign from the medical community. Each and every family practitioner needs to be actively reaching out to their patients and documenting their vaccine status and encouraging their patients to get vaccinated. The messaging from our Government and scientists is not getting through (It's even making it worse), it has to be grass roots from trusted medical providers. We have asked a lot of our medical community over the last year but we need them again. We need our trusted Doctors, RNs, PAs, etc. to actively seek out their patients and get this done.

Andrea Smith Aug 04, 2021 10:12 AM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

With rights come responsibility. If you want the right not to have to be vaccinated then take responsibility and either stay home if you don't want to wear a mask or wear a mask and keep your distances from others. Those of us who got vaccinated took responsibility as we wanted a right to live life normally. You don't get to trample on others rights b/c of your so called "rights", they don't trump ours. So if you want to scream about your rights, then take responsibility too. Grow up.

sbmomof2girls Aug 04, 2021 10:11 AM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

I could care less about masks and I could care less who is vaccinated. I do my part and that is all I care about. What I DO care about is my kids going back to school, staying in school and NOT having the schools close. That is what should be most important right now. THE KIDS!

ZeroHawk Aug 04, 2021 03:29 PM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

SBmom, well that sort of thinking is part of the reason we are back at this point again. this isn't about you. wear a face covering and wash your hands and get vaxed, not for your, but for your circle of people. anyone that you interact with could be at risk if you're only doing your "part". If you're concerned about your kids staying in school, then get them vaxed and practice hand washing and safe distancing. the kids aren't the target of covid, we are. the kids are affected more by the delta strain from what i understand. either way, masks and shots and hand washing are key, not your doing your "part" but making sure your kids do as well and WEAR THE FACE COVERING. its not for your as much as the lady/man behind the counter, at the bank, at a laundrymat, etc. its for others with weaker immune and respiratory systems (like me).

ginger1 Aug 04, 2021 09:33 AM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

The headline should read: "SBCPH Reopens CoVID-19 Theater." Just to remind those who will the actors, bandanas/gaiters, valved masks, pretty cotton thingies and cheap paper masks will do next to nothing to *protect you* from the virus. Vaccines surely will, but that’s not where they are going.

You could, of course wear properly fitted N/KN95 or level 2 surgical procedure masks, never touch them except to put them on and take them off with disinfected hands, and replace them daily, right? That WILL work. Maybe. Vaccines surely will, but that’s not where they are going.

There will be no indoor capacity control or social distancing required so feel free to jam into your favorite restaurant, along with visitors from Florida and Texas, and take your mask off to eat and drink. You can’t ever really know if that family at the next table just back from Disney World is infected, so that won’t work. Vaccines surely will, but that’s not where they are going.

I applaud SB School Board members Ford and Capps for bringing to a vote vaccine mandate for teachers and staff. School staff are the ones who can infect our as yet unvaccinated kids and they should not be allowed anywhere near them if they remain unvaccinated. (Immune compromised staff get a pass but must wear K/KN95 respirator masks.) I’d encourage all who can do so to pull their kids from public school if the teacher/staff vaccine mandate fails approval. You know masks on kids are useless. The vote is Thursday at 2pm. Tell them that.

Hey county, why not mandate weekly testing and contact tracing for everyone? That could be helpful and at least you’ll know if your theater program is working. (It wont.) That’s a better way than tracking hospitalizations and deaths. But go ahead and continue to encourage an onslaught of tourism, keep the airport open and let’s have possibly infected visitors from around the world come here and spend their money and keep the pandemic going.

It should be pretty clear by now that no matter what you do short of a vaccine mandate the virus will spread until it infects nearly everyone and herd immunity is reached. With delta, that’s likely to be around 88% of us. You won’t get really sick or end up in hospital or dead if you’re vaccinated. The rest of you, good luck. You’ll need it.

Stay tuned for next week’s theater production. It’s called Lockdown.

LooseCannon Aug 06, 2021 05:29 PM

To answer your points, SACJON

"(1) the mandate is not feasible. We can't really force other people to get a shot."
Ah, but you can make life very unpleasant for the anti-vaxxers by denying them entry to businesses. And there is plenty of legal precedent that employers can demand vaccination for continued employed. So, don't get vaccinated, lose your job.

(2) "2) it's easy to get around. Plenty of fake or forged vax cards out there. Just not reliable."
A better system could be devised. But you miss the point here, that the vast majority of hardcore anti-vaxxers would be too proud to fake a vaccine card. It would injure their stupid pride.

(3) Masks are the only visibly verifiable option we have to slow this down, even if they're not 100% effective.
A fat lot of good these masks do when the pandejos go home, take off their masks, and drink a case of beer with their unmasked pandejo friends. Masks are only necessary for the unvaccinated, kids under 12, and the immunocompromised. Everyone else, the fully vaccinated, should not need to wear a mask.

Your friend gave you bad advice. I rebut all his points. Every. One.

a-1628113217 Aug 04, 2021 02:40 PM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

But at least new readers will get the facts.

Masking and shutdowns were significantly helpful. A lot of the freedumbers misconstrued the study's results showing a percentage reduction in infection rates as being a percentage reduction in total cases, and erroneously concluded that they were not very helpful.

To quote the relevant part:

How Growth Rate Finding Was Distorted
On March 6, Fox News’ Laura Ingraham tweeted that the study found mask mandates and restaurant restrictions “have a small impact” on COVID-19 cases and deaths. Later that day, an unreliable Twitter account called Breaking911 created a tweet thread about the new study, falsely claiming that it found “mask mandates lower COVID cases by around 1.5% over a two month period.”

But as we already explained, the study is not showing a decrease in the number of cases and deaths but a decrease in the growth rate of the daily cases and deaths.

“Because the growth rate is exponential,” the impact compounds, José Luis Jiménez, an analytical and atmospheric chemist at the University of Colorado Boulder who was not involved in the study, told us. “So, it’s kind of like your mortgage — you change your interest a little bit, and then you save a ton of money. Because the cases compound.”

a-1628113008 Aug 04, 2021 02:36 PM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

2:09 PM - Again with the misunderstanding, or deliberate misinformation in your case, of the effectiveness of masks. Mask have been shown to stop the rate of spread by 2%, not the incidence of cases by 2%. It's like compound interest, as has been explained to you befor, and results in a massive decrease in the number of cases over time.

sacjon Aug 04, 2021 09:51 AM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

GINGER1 - great points. The vaccine is really the only reliable way of slowing this variant down. I was really pro vax mandate until I chatted last night with a wise old friend, who brought up some great points. 1) the mandate is not feasible. We can't really force other people to get a shot. 2) it's easy to get around. Plenty of fake or forged vax cards out there. Just not reliable. 3) Masks are the only visibly verifiable option we have to slow this down, even if they're not 100% effective. Mask mandates are far easier to enforce and as such, maybe me more effective than a vax mandate. Interesting points, I think.

Madame Rue Aug 04, 2021 09:06 AM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

We are into the pandemic for more than a year. Those that want the vaccination have gotten it, those that are cautious are also following the other protocols (masks, hand washing, distancing, etc). We will eventually reach herd immunity, faster if everyone vaccinates and slower and more painfully if we wait to gain immunity through actual infections. The chart for new cases is indisputable, the majority of new infections are in the unvaccinated, and by a large margin.
As for the proponents of individual/personal freedoms, i.e. the anti-vexers and anti-maskers, why haven't they pushed back on other safety mandates such as the seatbelt law.
You've had your opportunity.
Red Rover, Red Rover, let Darwin take over.

a-1628138719 Aug 04, 2021 09:45 PM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

I too am very vexed by your points! And why hasn't required school vaccinations been stressed?
I know that one big reason is that the vaccines haven't been approved by the FDA. That will be a big point, both currently against, and, hopefully, for. I saw a poll saying that was the largest obstacle to those still hesitant.

GeneralTree Aug 03, 2021 10:50 PM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

I applaud this. Vaccine mandates should begin immediately. Your kids shouldn't come to school unless they have been vaccinated for Covid. Let's include the flu shot as well. No more patience for the ignorant anti vaxxers and anti maskers promoting domestic terrorism. Those who don't comply should be arrested and heavily fined. The terrorism of the far right on public health stops now. You can't follow basic public health rules then stay home or fear arrest and heavy fines. Businesses that dont comply should be forced to close immediately. All patience lost for the willingly-ignorant who continue this vicous cycle - your time has passed.

letmego Aug 04, 2021 10:04 AM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

What about my 9 yo, who is too young to be vaccinated ? I mean, I did buy KN95-ish masks for him recently (recommended on Noozhawk by Dr Brennan awhile ago). So, not KN95, but maybe close? He's gotten pretty used to keeping masks on his face. It's the best I can do.

I do NOT want a repeat of virtual school. Stick a fork in me, I'm done with that.

Basicinfo805 Aug 03, 2021 08:37 PM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

This is lame and unfair for those of us who believe in science, did the right thing, got vaccinated, and don’t believe in bs conspiracy theories. Not surprised. Agree with the others calling for a vaccination mandate, for those who want to be going out and living again that is. If you don’t want the shot, keep yourself at home for the foreseeable future. That’s your choice.

dukemunson Aug 04, 2021 09:36 AM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

Sac - But since they wont, this mandate accomplishes nothing and simply serves as a potential stepping stone to things closing again. We need to accept that the people who want the vaccine have gotten it and don't take this any further than a mask mandate. Hopefully the school board understands the disaster closing schools was (as per any/all studies and logic) last year and doesn't even consider that as an option again. Obviously don't have much faith in them though...

sacjon Aug 04, 2021 09:31 AM
Face Covering to Be Required Indoors Regardless of Vaccination Status

BASIC - 100% agree. Problem is, those unvaxxed fools refuse to stay home as well. They REFUSE to do anything to help. They insist on their "rights," yet refuse to act like responsible members of the community. No vax, fine, but your choice has consequences. No grab those bootstraps and accept some personal responsibility!

Pages