Vegetation Fire on Wentworth

By Scanner Andrew

Santa Barbara City firefighters are on the scene of a vegetation fire in the 600 Block of Wentworth.

;

Chip of SB Aug 03, 2021 12:14 PM
Vegetation Fire on Wentworth

Yes indeed, major drug addict encampment between the tracks and freeway ramp right there.

Rypert Johnson Aug 03, 2021 11:45 AM
Vegetation Fire on Wentworth

BYZANTIUM, not at all, it was another one of those lightning strikes! Over 60 since the start of 2021, rapidly approaching 70.

edney Aug 03, 2021 12:11 PM
Vegetation Fire on Wentworth

Wentworth is next to the tracks, houses on one side fence for track on the other.
That is railroad signal apparatus in the mid ground of the photo, not flood lights.
My guess is the fire was in the 600 block and was due to spontaneous combustion, a neglected cooking fire, or a burn out. Hopefully no one was hurt. Hopefully they all earned their Smokey the Bear badge and from now on will make sure all coals are cold... ah hell, who am I kidding. Drugs, alcohol. mental illness and fire are a bad combination. There are videos of street people in Venice injecting heroin and then nodding off and passing out while pooping on the curb... so I imagine forgetting the camp fire is a common problem

edney Aug 03, 2021 12:23 PM
Vegetation Fire on Wentworth

By the way, that apparatus reminds me of a time when I was running through a railyard trying to evade the RR bulls and their lights by sticking to the dark. I was stone sober (honest) it was pitch dark, and I ran into something like that at speed. I'm laying there trying to see if I can feel my toes still and the spot light passes over me and they don't see me....

Rypert Johnson Aug 03, 2021 01:05 PM
Vegetation Fire on Wentworth

So why is this allowed to continue? Would distributing lightning rods to all neighborhoods near railroad tracks help? Asking for the community. 70 lightning strike fires to date, just counted.

Roger Aug 03, 2021 04:17 PM
Vegetation Fire on Wentworth

Seems like everytime someone reports a homeless camp the police move in and tell them to move on I suspect...600 Block of Garden right now numerous reporting parties...No one likes this going on around town. It seems to me that some people are not being punished enough when they break the law..Pray this never happens near a dwelling, hotel, motel...

Byzantium Aug 03, 2021 05:58 PM
Vegetation Fire on Wentworth

Three hour train delay. Add those costs to the full impact on our community being forced to respond to this chronic issue, and the wider community that did not ask to have their trains delayed for three whole hours. Train passengers have connections to make. Remind me why we encourage people to get out of their cars and use forms of mass transit, then do nothing to prevent that train missing later connection. Delay one route for three hours throws the entire system off. Send the bill for full impacts of this sanctioned chronic vagrancy impact on our health safety and commerce to Homeless Inc.