COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents title=
Reads 12003

Source: Santa Barbara County Public Health Department

COVID-19 cases have reached critically high levels in Santa Barbara County as the local case rate has reached 9.8 cases per 100,000 residents and a positivity rate of 6.9%. With these metrics, Santa Barbara County would be in the purple tier in the now retired tiered framework. These metrics mean that we have widespread community transmission of the delta variant. Over 400 active cases have been detected locally, a 55% increase from the previous 2-week average. As of July 20, over 86% of new cases occurred in unvaccinated community members.

New cases of COVID-19 have dramatically increased in July and the demographics of those contracting the virus have shifted. Cases in the past month have trended younger with persons 18-29 years of age making up the majority of cases. More cases are now being detected in the southern part of the county which is a contrast from earlier in the pandemic when the majority of new infections occurred in north county.

The Public Health Department strongly advises all community members to follow these strategies:
  • Wear a mask in all indoor spaces outside your home.
  • Stay home if you are ill, even if you have been vaccinated.
  • Avoid crowded events.
  • Get vaccinated if you have not done so already.
"As we enter this new phase of the pandemic, the landscape has changed dramatically from last year's summer surge", shared Van Do-Reynoso, County Public Health Director. "We have the safe, effective solution to stop this surge in its tracks.  We need every eligible member of this community to act and get vaccinated as soon as possible. There are still 149,688 persons eligible to be vaccinated in Santa Barbara County, who have not been vaccinated."

For free vaccine opportunities in your area:

SBLetsGetAlong Aug 03, 2021 08:46 AM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

Thus far the “experts” have guessed their way through a virus. We’ve been studying viruses for over a hundred years. And they still have to guess & go back on their decisions regularly.

The deaths that are occurring are still people with multiple underlying health issues, vax & unvax.
Who’s to say that the unvax would have survived.
Thus far there has been a lot of guesswork by the “experts”
Now this latest, “oh by the way, even though you’re vaxed you can still get sick a d you can carry the disease asymptotically & infect other vaxed & unvaxed people. “

Oh and by the way” some blood clotting is now expected”

Oh and by the way” if you’re pregnant we don’t have enough data to say it’s safe “ per Pfizer & Moderna websites. While there are ads on cable telling pregnant women it’s totally safe.

Clinical trials are over in 2022-2023. Per the manufacturers.
Meaning as a reminder these are not FDA approved. And anyone who takes these non FDA drugs are in essence a part of the clinical trials.

letmego Aug 03, 2021 09:05 AM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

You understand how science works, yes? Or maybe not? The experts use what they know from prior studies and other viruses to predict what this one will do. They make recommendations. They collect data as the virus spreads and mutates. They analyze the data, and adjust recommendations accordingly.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Oh, and from 7/23/21, Public Health Website:
"CORRECTION: The individual was 18 - 29 years of age and did not have underlying medical conditions. The death was not associated with a congregate care site."

letmego Aug 02, 2021 09:30 AM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

Obviously things are changing all the time, and have been. The vaccines are great, and effective. However
- they are more effective on the original version of the virus
- Delta is a whole new ballgame, and data is showing that vaccinated people get and spread Delta
- Therefore masking in crowded places and indoors is prudent.

Like Andrea, I wonder if I should plan my trip later this year to visit elderly family members. I mean, the whole family, on a plane? The youngest will hopefully be vaccinated, the rest of us with boosters maybe? If we are lucky, Delta will have faded by then (it's showing signs of that elsewhere), and hopefully not replaced by anything else. I mean, maybe we just fly and stay in hotels the whole time (instead of with family), and visit indoors, but distanced and masked?

I dunno. I miss my family but I don't want to kill them.

sacjon Aug 02, 2021 11:33 AM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

VOICE - Again, this is why I no longer call you "VOR," you've repeatedly lost the right to have the word, "Reason" in your name.

No, I am not "the problem." I am trying to encourage people to take the tiny steps to help protect themselves, their families and their community. What are you doing? Likely nothing.

No, I do not believe "zero risk is attainable." Where did I ever say/imply that? Again, no "reasoning" there, just knee jerk all or nothing thinking by a simple mind. I just think if there is a risk of something that can kill my daughter (asthma), or my brother in law I see almost daily going through cancer treatment who has no immunity despite vaccination, I will do the slightest, easiest thing to avoid increasing that risk - wear a mask indoors, wash my hands, encourage vaccination and be cognizant of the risk to help prevent the spread, even though I'm fully vaxxed.

It's about civic responsibility and being a parent. Shameful you have such a problem with that.

PitMix Aug 02, 2021 11:21 AM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

VOR, how many more dead Americans in excess of normal death rates are you willing to live with? Was 3000 a week in January too many? Is the current average of 200-300 too many? Not to mention the stress on our nurses and doctors and the long term effects on many of the survivors. And you have a driver's license and pay taxes, right? I'm surprised you let the US government infringe on your freedoms like that.

letmego Aug 02, 2021 11:07 AM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

VOR, I'm a bit confused. Can you explain?
1. What closely held values have I thrown out the window? I care for the health of others.
2. I am vaccinated, but my youngest child is not eligible yet, so I don't have a full toolset in the fight, to be frank.
3. Delta is more transmissible than the prior variants. I am unsure if we really knew quantitatively how much vaccinated people were likely to pass around the prior variants - I haven't researched that, and I wonder if vaccination rates were too low to really know that. In any event, unlike prior variants, the viral load present in breakthrough infections of people with Delta is the SAME for vaccinated and unvaccinated people. (So, thus, it's more transmissible than prior variants.) In any event, I already know several vaccinated people who are sick/ have been sick with the Delta variant (locally), and who picked it up from other vaccinated people. That was not the case a month or two ago.

4. "Stop worrying about others". I am discussing getting on a plane to visit (and stay with), elderly parents and in-laws. Three in their late 70's, one in their early 80s, and one a cancer patient going through active treatment. I can't NOT worry about them. One of my nieces ALREADY lost a grandparent to COVID in late 2020. Lordy, I'd hate to be the person to kill another one of her grandparents. I'd never forgive myself. (ALL of the grandparents are fully vaccinated now, but they are still at risk.)

Voice of Reason Aug 02, 2021 10:59 AM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

No, the problem is people like you and their mistaken belief that zero risk is somehow an realistically attainable goal and one we should strive for at the expense of all other concerns and risks. With vaccinations, particularly in the higher risk population, covid is no longer the deadly threat it once was, and no longer one the we need to turn the country upside down to try and prevent every last infection.

sacjon Aug 02, 2021 10:32 AM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

VOICE - the only "data" that should be relevant or of concern is that there is still a risk of infection and transmission, even if fully vaccinated. Wear a mask indoors, be smart and safe and get vaxxed if you're not. Nothing else to analyze, research or complain about. Just be aware and smart. Problem is, so many people are so caught up in "fighting" the science and facts that they're forgetting to just be smart and safe. This is all super easy. Mask indoors, get vaxxed, be safe. Done.

Voice of Reason Aug 02, 2021 10:11 AM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

New data has yet to show Delta is a "whole new ballgame" and that vaccinated get and spread delta more so than prior variants. So far, the only data the CDC has released showing the increased transmission potential of Delta after vaccination is from a foreign country, based solely on lab tests from cultures (vs. real world data), while using a vaccine that isn't one of the 3 approved in the US. Get vaccinated, get back to normal, and stop worrying about others. You have the tools to keep you and your loved ones safe independent from other peoples decisions. It is disgusting how easily many threw what were closely held values and beliefs right out the window the second they perceived a threat to themselves.

ginger1 Aug 01, 2021 09:41 PM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

1. One unnecessary death is exactly one two many.
2. Not all unvaccinated people are unvax'd by choice. Some people have immune disorders, like leukemia, are being treated with medicines that suppress their immune system and these people are at serious risk, especially from unvaccinated by choice people.
3. Some unvax'd by choice people have bought into conspiracy theories and the fear and misinformation spread on social media. Pitty them, shame them but educating them might help them survive the pandemic.
4. Do not forget the young people who are not (currently) eligible for the shot.
5. There is no proof that vaccinated people can spread the virus if they are not clinically sick. A positive PCR tests *is not* proof of infectiousness, only that virus, not necessarily live virus is in your nose. At the moment of the test.
6. There are a small number of people who get the shot and their immune system does not respond appropriately. Some of those people know who they are, some do not. Vaccination is not a guarantee of immunity. Pretty damn close, though.
7. If you are vaccinated, there is a 95%+ chance you wont be sick and hospitalized and 100% chance you wont die. (Might be 99.97% because of #6) You will protecting those people in #2,3,4and 6.

What more info do you need to get the shot. It is the only way this pandemic will end, short of everyone getting sick and a lot more people dying unnecessarily. #1.

Bene Aug 02, 2021 05:51 PM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

Ginger, your comments about the greater likelihood of the unvaccinated spreading this are what the vast majority of people know to be true. Where your pronouncements overstate what is actually known with surety is on the topic of just how much the vaccinated can likely spread this as well. You and some of your colleagues may believe the leaked study is seriously flawed, but the CDC certainly thinks this study may be indicative of some important areas of concern. Future less flawed studies may well corroborate these fears, you don't know at this point.

ginger1 Aug 02, 2021 10:44 AM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

Actually, I am a researcher and scientist, but I am far from being a "leading authority." No one is. I accept that some of the data gathering is flawed and there's a lot of issues not perfectly clear. Humble enough?

That "leaked study" is seriously flawed and peer review has cited that. But a virus is a virus and this one is behaving exactly as science would expect. You know this is not the first pandemic to affect humans, right? It is undeniably correct that globally, after 4 billion shots in the arms of 2.4 billion people, 99.997% of vaccinated people do not die. It is also true that a similar number have had no adverse effects. The vaccine is a friggin' miracle and the only way out of this, other than allowing millions more people to be infected and die. Masks, as we use them, wont hardly make a dent in the long term.

It is highly unlikely that vaccinated people without active disease, which is somewhere above 95% of them, perhaps 99%, can spread the virus. Unlikely, not impossible, not proved either way. But remember: it takes only one vaccinated person with a reasonable, if only temporary virus load in their nose, even if it is only for the day until their immune system cancels the virus, to infect up to 10 other *unvaccinated* people. How much does that contribute to the pandemic? A drop in the pool. It is absolutely correct that it is the unvaccinated population that is spreading the disease. And being hospitalized. And dying. As I wrote, one death is one too many because it is preventable. Be more concerned about those who are unable to get vaccinated because they are under age 12, immunocompromised, disadvantaged due to their color, socioeconomic situation, difficulty managing transportation, child care, stuff like that.

It is everyone else's responsibility to get the shot to protect them. Or wear a properly fitted, properly handled N95 mask 100% of the time you around anyone. I did that at the airport and on the airplane. I'm very confident I'm vaccine- protected. I did it to protect others who may not be.

a-1627886741 Aug 01, 2021 11:45 PM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

Ginger, You are so sure of yourself. Much more sure than the actual researchers and scientists. You make pronouncements as if you are a leading authority. People with far more expertise than you are pretty convinced that the vaccinated can and are spreading the virus. There is no consensus yet, because this virus is full of surprises. NO ONE knows much that is certain about this virus at this time. So maybe you should be a little more humble and re- read the info about the leaked CDC docs, and just read more about the research in general from a variety of sources.

Basicinfo805 Aug 01, 2021 05:56 PM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

1 new death. One. That’s a real bummer for someone and their family. Yeah, I get it. The problem here is that as a society we’re getting shafted by our governor and local health department as a knee jerk reaction. Deaths happen every day for so many different reasons. 1 is a statistical zero.

SBLetsGetAlong Aug 03, 2021 08:40 AM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

If the vaccine doesn’t build or help build immunity or herd immunity then they are delivering a drug that we will all be dependent upon forever?

Who’s to say that the unvax would have survived.
Thus far there has been a lot of guesswork by the “experts”

Bene Aug 02, 2021 07:08 PM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

Hi Chem, yes, I never thought the issue had anything to do with being anti-vax, as you indicate you are not. But whether widely accepted or not, these studies definitely point to troubling possibilities that need to be further investigated. I personally think that even if there are potential vaccine limitations that require more study, everyone who medically can get the vaccine needs to. When this info came out I too was thinking the timing and connection with your comments was interesting. I wouldn't expect much agreement however, as so many people are deeply invested in believing the vaccine has made them super powered and completely invulnerable to spreading it or getting even a light case. Even though "the experts" knowledge of this virus is only nascent and ever changing, there are those who have closed their minds to any new information or ideas that do not back up what they think they know already. They want so much to believe that they can do anything they want now, without mask, hygiene, or distancing.

ChemicalSuperFreak Aug 01, 2021 08:58 PM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

Bene, those leaked documents do not come as a surprise to me, as I've been stating this for many weeks now. The evidence was right there, in public view, if people only bothered to look at the data coming out of the UK. I knew it was only a matter of time before this got out, as the CDC was looking at the same data that I was. Hopefully now people will realize that I was correct, not spreading FUD, and was only trying to warn people of this very real and dangerous situation. Thank you to the very few people who supported me.

Bene Aug 01, 2021 08:16 PM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

You have a point, SB. I'm sure you read the info revealed by the Washington Post about leaked CDC documents? And the KEYT story today? Yep, the unvaccinated, albeit in small numbers, are getting sick enough to go to hospital also, and can have a full viral load in their snouts to spread around on other vaccinated people, some of whom will get significantly sick.

SBLetsGetAlong Aug 01, 2021 12:57 PM

Serious question here.
Vaccinated people are still getting Covid and spreading Covid. The true number is unknown because most are asymptomatic or they think they have a cold.
A person who had Covid has natural immunity and passes along a weakened Covid to people do those people’s natural immunity can build.

How does vaccinations help herd immunity if the Vaccinated are Passie g along a full viral load of Covid?

Bene Aug 01, 2021 08:21 PM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

Are you a researcher? How do you know that the vaccinated with high viral loads are not also setting up a breeding ground for new variants? Maybe if the vaccinated ALSO followed full mask and hygiene protocol we might get somewhere. I am vaccinated and I still am just as careful as I was before.

dukemunson Aug 01, 2021 07:52 PM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

General tree - Covid 19 will become endemic…it is here to stay. That is the scientific (and logical) consensus. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t vaccinate, quite the opposite actually, but this is here to stay. Thinking it can and will be eradicated shows a profound misunderstanding of what we are actually up against. So yes, please encourage all to get vaccinated, but everyone does need to realize this probably isn’t ever going away…

SBLetsGetAlong Aug 01, 2021 12:54 PM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

“ "breakthrough cases" have been getting media attention”

The numbers DO NOT account for asymptomatic cases in the vaccinated or those who did not get tested.
NBC notes that the total number of breakthrough cases is likely higher since nine states did not have any information while 11 states, like Florida, did not While "breakthrough cases" have been getting media attention, the low numbers show that the pandemic is mostly a threat for the unvaccinated population.

The numbers do not account for asymptomatic cases in the vaccinated or those who did not get tested. The CDC only tracks cases of those hospitalized or deaths.
NBC notes that the total number of breakthrough cases is likely higher since nine states did not have any information while 11 states, like Florida, did not provide death and hospitalization totals.”

The true number per a CDC stmt was that only 1-10% percent of breakthrough cases have been reported.
You know the guessing game the CDC has been playing fir the last 18 months.

“ Of the 164 million vaccinated Americans, around 125,000 people have tested positive for breakthrough infections ”.
Which means there are hundreds of thousands that are break thru cases that are not aware they have Covid.
Also vaccinated people have been spreading the disease.

So if a vaccinated person still gets sick, still passes on the disease then how do we achieve herd immunity?

A person who had Covid has natural immunity & might pass along a weakened version enabling others to gain natural immunity.

Can someone explain the difference & why the CDC doesn’t discuss natural immunity?

Voice of Reason Aug 02, 2021 11:08 AM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

Nasan: politics, more specifically, the enormous influence certain special interest groups have over politicians in many states. Children don't donate to political campaigns and there are no special interest groups lobbying for what is in their best interest, just parents, who have little to no say in our state.

Andrea Smith Jul 31, 2021 03:50 PM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

A person cannot distance on a plane b/c somehow they got passes through all of this no requirements for spacing [they did it on their own but no more]. So are they issuing travel advisories? No. They keep saying you'll be fine if you are vaccinated. I hope that is the case now.

a-1627771554 Jul 31, 2021 03:45 PM
COVID-19 Cases Continue to Rise Significantly Among Unvaccinated Residents

Nobody said to throw caution to the wind. You should still mask and distance, especially with vulnerable individuals, but if you are vaccinated the danger is hugely reduced. The FUDsters here are just trying to scare people away from vaccination. Don't abet them.

Pages