Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update title=

Source: City of Santa Barbara

Find out everything about one of Santa Barbara's most exciting projects!

Join us Thursday, July 29, for an update on the Dwight Murphy Field Improvement Project. Inspired by ideas and feedback during a productive public engagement process, this park will be packed with fun features:

• An outdoor fitness area
• A regulation-size soccer field (Santa Barbara's first and only!)
• A youth baseball field
• Sport field lighting
• Water- and maintenance-saving artificial turf with organic fill
• Gwendolyn's Playground—the first fully-inclusive playground in Santa Barbara
• New restrooms
• Beautiful (and functional) landscaping and trees
• Easy parking

Let Parks and Rec Department project planners tell you all about it on Thursday, July 29 at 6:00 p.m. Meet us in the park (Ninos Drive and Por La Mar, but you can put 501 Ninos Drive into your navigation app)

dukemunson Jul 29, 2021 02:06 PM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

I assume you know what I was asking, but I'll be more specific, what does the "FULLY" part actually mean? Does that mean any/every element of the playground has to be completely usably for any/all ages and ability? How the heck does "fully inclusive" tangibly manifest?

sacjon Jul 30, 2021 10:29 AM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

DUKE - that means it's designed for kids of ALL physical and mental abilities. It's for the kids that have no playgrounds. Can we just leave it alone and let them have this?

dukemunson Jul 30, 2021 10:50 AM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

Sac - I think they just mistakenly added “fully”…which is silly and nonsensical. It’s inclusive… which is great! The color scheme…ehh… not so much… that’s not gonna age well!!!

millimesa Jul 29, 2021 01:56 PM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

Really hope a well thought out calisthenics area is included in the final design. These outdoor fitness areas are so popular in Europe and the area at Dwight Murphy is so outdated and worn.

ZeroHawk Jul 29, 2021 03:55 PM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

there are plenty of cardio equipment there. Also Europe has a space issue...we don't. We have miles and miles of beaches and trails for you to run on for your cardio as well.

a-1627658193 Jul 30, 2021 08:16 AM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

There is very little, next to NO, open space within the City of Santa Barbara for youth recreational facilities. Do any of you know any kids in real life? Yes, we have endless beaches and mountain trails for walking, running, or relaxation, which are awesome - for ADULTS. Realistically, these are not activities that most kids/teens enjoy unless something else is going on (an organized hike, a party, a competition, etc). And kids have no business going near the ocean unless they can swim well (NEWSFLASH: only the privileged in SB have access to pools). SB desperately needs more recreational facilities for people of all ages and income levels. We have next to NONE for a population this size. Compare ours to those in other affluent communities. It's shameful. Underserved kids and teens are the ones most impacted by the scarcity. And why are people harping on about the homeless needing these parks to sleep, live, etc? What dysfunctional thinking. Why don't you all go and figure out how to house the homeless somewhere else, and leave the meager recreational space we have for the youth in our community!

ZeroHawk Jul 29, 2021 03:57 PM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

Roger is correct, in fact they better have double security 24/7. think about whats happened at kids world with no security. needles. homeless. naked drunk dudes (yes...several times).

Roger Jul 30, 2021 09:22 AM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

Kids World bathroom OD acouple weeks ago female found slumped over needle still in her arm...Not to mention the woman who hung herself there. I would not want my kids finding that. jus sayin

Ahchooo Jul 29, 2021 06:16 PM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

While I understand the reasons for artificial turf, it gets so hot, and doesn’t produce any oxygen. I wish they could manage real grass. But okay, a new play are will be welcome.

SBTownie Jul 30, 2021 08:36 AM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

Seriously. I've commented before that I don't know any locals who frequent Chase Palm Park for this exact reason, and in fact many natives I know have never even been there. I'm personally too creeped out to step foot in it as a person who does not feel safe entering spaces I feel are commandeered by people who might possibly pose a threat to me. Chase Palm should have been developed into some type of mixed-use retail, hospitality project because I don't think it works as a park for obvious reasons. Last time I wrote this, I of course got a comment from the only local who uses the park (I ride and drive past the park at least 5x a week and there is almost never anyone using it, so I feel very confident in saying that this is not a popular park) telling me I didn't know what I was talking about and they love the park and it's wonderful and many locals use it. I'll take the evidence it's nearly empty all the time as proof that I know what I'm talking about and they don't.

a-1627661137 Jul 30, 2021 09:05 AM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

Fearless young adults use Chase Palm Park for slacklining. It's a perfect spot for this sport. Building development along the waterfront? You've got to be kidding. Take a drive along the coast in Los Angeles County. Sad.

SBTownie Jul 30, 2021 09:17 AM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

We already have development along the waterfront, so I don't know what you're talking about. This isn't LA (thank god), and I agree let's not let it become that (and thanks, I'll skip the drive, because unless forced to, I avoid LA at all costs). But a very large park devoted to vagrancy and some slackliners isn't a legitimate use for valuable public space. A small group of people (the homeless) can effectively overtake an entire park just through their presence. It's menacing to many (women, people with children, etc.) and the position of the park makes it feel unsafe for many to enter. There have always been homeless on the waterfront side and it isn't really an issue - the space is open and anyone passing through has a sense of safety granted by being able to be seen and heard. I regularly transit through the area on foot or bike and I don't have any issues sharing the space with everyone including the homeless. Chase Palm Park feels secluded and doesn't offer great visibility for those who prefer to be in the company of many strangers, versus a select few. If anything were to go wrong, it feels like no one would see you or hear you scream. I won't apologize for not being a "fearless young adult" and being concerned about my bodily safety when assessing what public spaces I do or do not want to use.

a-1627655830 Jul 30, 2021 07:37 AM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

A purple 'field' - I suppose it is cement, not a field - with a McDonald's arch??? A charm of the present park is that it is open space. Why does this city and the city parks department have to be tarting up public spaces! De la Guerra Plaza is one example where councilmember Harmon spoke often of taking her “toddlers” to enjoy the water feature she supported; this Dwight Murphy park is another; the intentions for the Yanonali Park is a third.

The commonality is a hatred of grass and uncluttered open space PLUS an intention to deprive the homeless of sitting/lying space without providing alternatives.

letmego Jul 30, 2021 09:48 AM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

It's probably not concrete. The newer parks I've been to, it's more like a squishy surface with some give to it, so that if you fall down you won't hurt yourself.

SBTownie Jul 30, 2021 08:32 AM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

Sorry but this is hideous and will firmly cement this stretch of our waterfront as eternally and tragically pomo (postmodern, for those of you who don't get it). Between the very dated Red Lion (can't keep up on the hotel ownership these days, you know what I'm talking about), the rainbow arch, and this monstrosity, we've got a real little triad of ugliness. I'm all for an inclusive playground. Why does it have to look like someone on LSD designed it? It will age horribly and then we'll have to redo it again in a decade. Why don't we try something classic looking? Would you see something this hideous displayed in prime real estate in any other world-class city? No. Let's build it to last. Kids World is actually a pretty good example of this. I think it looks great after all these years.

sacjon Jul 30, 2021 10:27 AM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

SBTOWNIE - you and others missed the critical point of this playground. It is ALL-inclusive, meaning for kids of ALL physical/mental abilities. Many kids with disabilities are unable to play on and enjoy your "classic looking" playground. This is for those kids. Let them have it, they deserve it.

SBTownie Jul 30, 2021 10:41 AM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

Jon, no I didn't miss the point. In fact, I said I'm in favor of erecting "inclusive" playgrounds. Heck, let's have many of them peppered throughout town. But this isn't aesthetically appropriate for the waterfront, which is the front page - if you will - for our town for many visitors. I think sympathetic and kind people often find themselves caught up in wanting to do a "good thing" at the expense of creating a greater whole thing. This is an example of that. We don't need this playground on the waterfront. Let's put it somewhere else in town. It's incongruous with our aesthetics. You may say well it's in line with our values, and I agree, but placemaking is serious work and you don't see hallucinogenic mushroom statues and purple concrete playgrounds featured prominently in the main drag of any world-class cities or their parks in places that face the public. Just because it's a good thing and we should build it, doesn't mean we should build it where it's proposed.

sacjon Jul 30, 2021 10:50 AM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

SBTOWNIE - this is hardly the "entrance" to our town. Unless you're staying in the nearby hotels or going to the zoo, most tourists don't see that part of the park. It's impossible to see while walking/driving/biking along Cabrillo. See for yourself. Even if visible from a distance, it's really not that offensive. Psychedelic mushrooms? That's hilarious. Cubensis (the ones most people know of) look nothing like that. Those shrooms are the fairy tale/Alice in Wonderland type that all kids know and love. Seriously, you have to be a real curmudgeon to see a cartoony, fantastical "magic" mushroom structure in a kids playground like this and complain that it's "drugs."

SBTownie Jul 30, 2021 12:15 PM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

Well Jon I may be an old curmudgeon but thank you for antagonizing me because I can see after actually looking at a map that this is not a visible area and I had incorrectly assumed based on my interpretation of the rendering that this was at the corner of Cabrillo when in fact it is the park area several blocks away by the zoo. They are, however, psychedelic mushrooms. While they're not "shrooms," they are toadstools (as Big Brownie correctly pointed out) and their psychedelic effects (and poisonous ones) figure heavily in Nordic lore and other places where they grow. I'm not upset they're "drugs" and now that I know they will not literally be lining the waterfront (which was the source of my outrage), I really don't care. And for the record regarding Alice in Wonderful, no, Carrolll was not on LSD when he wrote it as urban legend claims, but he was a heavy laudanum user and may have been a p*d*phile, which you can google. The playground serves a great purpose and we should have more of them. I hope the children enjoy it. I hope we will somehow create more usable parks for all residents of SB including in locations closer to where children actually live.

sacjon Jul 30, 2021 12:26 PM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

SBTOWNIE - sorry if you felt antagonized, I was just sticking up for the kids :) And yeah, most adults know that "magic" mushrooms can make you see things, but these are the cartoony and commonly used "Fairy" mushrooms used in playgrounds and kids areas around the world and also in Mario Brothers and many more kid related things. No kid is going to turn into a drug user because their playground had a big mushroom in it.....

mushroom+playground&tbm=isch&ved=
2ahUKEwik9fX0wovyAhUROa0KHSWzDO8Q2-
cCegQIABAA&oq=red+and+white+mushroom+
playground&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzoFCAAQgAQ6Bgg
AEAgQHjoECAAQGFCIB1jkHmCkJGgAcAB4AIAB3
AGIAe0PkgEFMC4zLjeYAQCgAQGqAQtnd3Mtd2l6
LWltZ8ABAQ&sclient=img&ei=KFIEYaTBCpHytAW
l5rL4Dg&bih=937&biw=1920&rlz=1C1GCEB_enUS
950US951&safe=active

SBTownie Jul 30, 2021 12:44 PM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

For the record, I welcome any and all good-faith antagonizing, especially if I am just blatantly incorrect about something. Please, if I am stating an objective falsehood, then do tell me. Had you not challenged me on the visibility, I may not have mapped the actual place and gone off of my incorrect interpretation of the rendering. I am not worried about the kids becoming drug users. The mushrooms are cute. I just thought they were ridiculous when I assumed they would be lining the waterfront.

sacjon Jul 30, 2021 10:19 AM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

Looks beautiful and colorful! I love it, but I can foresee lots of teens/young adults "day tripping" around there. I know I would have back in the day!

Lorax Jul 31, 2021 02:45 PM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

Why are we going to have a cheap knock off of Disneyland? Even Disneyland isn't this garish.
This is Santa Barbara, can we keep it more natural looking and less neon?

a-1627842265 Aug 01, 2021 11:24 AM
Dwight Murphy Field Project & Playground Update

Major sports complex planned for Santa Maria - they already have an aquatics complex- There aren't many healthy recreational options for the boys and girls of all ages in Santa Barbara! (that they would be interested in) https://www.noozhawk.com/article/santa_maria_council_asked_to_earmark_funds_for_future_sports_fields