By Roger the Scanner Guy

Flames and black smoke was seen toward the Lagoon at UCSB also on the 217 near the entrance to UCSB.

Henry Sarria Jul 28, 2021 12:21 PM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

Andrew & Roger, thank you for all the scanner stuff. Keeps us apprised of what's goin' on, a hell of a lot better than conventional news sources!

Roger Jul 28, 2021 01:21 PM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

I'm only going to post here if I hear something serious and it's not up just to let people know "What's up" then someone else can take over. I have a Twitter account for all the other stuff I hear like brandishings fights etc...

Henry Sarria Jul 28, 2021 11:20 AM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

Well, as somebody who lives just up the bikepath from that area, let me clarify some stuff. It's being camped in & there's some shady stuff goin' on in the encampments.
We've been getting an influx of the campers here in IV, usually during the wee hours of the morning, usually lookin' for bikes to steal & stuff. We've had encounters w/ a few where we live.
Now, was this a "homeless fire" that happened? Well, using calculated assumptions based on the area & people, I gotta go w/ that, but only emergency response people can accurately tell us.
The county did use $2,000,000 in the homeless matter, but that was for the situation in People's Park here in IV & yeah, that $$$ was used in the form of re-documentation, services & shelter/housing for those that wanted it. Those that didn't, well, they're not included in that price tag.
Let's also not forget the $900,000 allocated for the pallet village run by Good Samaritan. That program actually turned out pretty good & now, as slated, it's been taken down, packed up & moved away.
From what I've seen, the biggest encampments in the IV & Goleta area are in the San Antonio Creek, that's where the biggest challenges are gonna be.

sacjon Jul 28, 2021 01:28 PM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

Roger - thanks! Yeah, some people just can't handle being called out.

Roger Jul 28, 2021 01:23 PM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

Don't feel bad Sacjon they think worse of me lol it's the furthest thing from the truth if you really know me. I'm sure your not a bad person either..

sacjon Jul 28, 2021 12:20 PM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

HENRY - sorry, no, I meant that to clarify for CMKR and all the others thinking I'm some kind of pro-arsonist or something. Sorry, didn't meant to sound like I was lashing out at you!

Henry Sarria Jul 28, 2021 12:18 PM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

Sacjon, I don't think I ever thought you disputed it & if you did, hey man, just a differing opinion, that's all. But yeah, that area down there' it's gotten kind of funky. Even the west end of the Goleta Beach parking lot has been cordoned off due to some issues. Weird times.
I think you thought my comment was directed your way from the other comments, it wasn't, was just adding an observation of my own.

sacjon Jul 28, 2021 11:40 AM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

HENRY - Looks pretty clear that this was a homeless fire, and most are when in these areas. I never disputed that.

AQUAHOLIC Jul 28, 2021 11:09 AM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

I came here for the fire news, stayed for the bickering.
#slowmorning

a-1627492294 Jul 28, 2021 10:11 AM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

Your current hobby appears to be trolling and attacking others daily on Edhat and probably elsewhere, so it would seem you are the one that needs a new hobby

sacjon Jul 28, 2021 09:57 AM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

9:43 - I find it funny (and quite sad and embarrassing for you) that you jumped on here to attack me for "attacking" when I hadn't even posted a comment. Sounds like you need a hobby? A friend?

sfgac055 Jul 28, 2021 04:35 PM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

You know what Sacjon, I totally believe you should say what you like how you like to. I was only trying to suggest that your aggressively defensive tone maybe overshadows the message you're trying to get across, since you are arguing with people about this/similar topics literally daily. I have never been offended by what I read on Edhat. After 10 or so years visiting this site, I have realized the majority of people aren't using Edhat to find common ground or partake in effective conversations with other locals about local issues and events, and would rather anonymously whine and bicker with each other. That said, I'll settle back and continue consuming the entertainment in the comments sections :D

sacjon Jul 28, 2021 11:37 AM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

SFGA - what constructive commentary would you like? I'm honestly confused here. All I have ever done is condemn those comments who instantly place blame on the homeless for each and every crime and/or fire. I did the same back when everyone hated illegal immigrants and blamed them the same way. I only push for ONE thing - to stop the instant, baseless accusations and blame on the hated group du jour. Yeah, most times it IS a homeless encampment fire, but I oppose the insta-hate many have here. Again, I'm not defending criminals, just opposing the knee jerk accusations for each and every fire and crime. It's bewildering that I am being made to look like some kind of jerk for my comments. All the hate is not a good look on most people here. Sorry if you were offended.

sfgac055 Jul 28, 2021 11:30 AM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

I wasn't suggesting you keep quiet and that's a shame you think my perspective is weird... I was only recommending maybe instead of firing back try to provide constructive commentary that supports your cause. Have a nice day!

sacjon Jul 28, 2021 10:59 AM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

SFGA - weird, but OK. I'll keep quiet. Sorry everyone for condemning mostly baseless assumptions about the homeless. Carry on.

sfgac055 Jul 28, 2021 10:44 AM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

Ehhh Jon you are the loudest voice of opposition to most comments voicing their frustration with the vagrant problem and out of control illegal camp fires. You're very quick to make your stance known, and usually in an attack style rather than actually sticking up for the homeless community and trying to understand other peoples perspective on the issues and maybe change their minds. Just an observation, as your presence is strong here it's hard not to observe. I appreciate your passion for homeless issues, but I don't think you're helping the situation with your comment contributions in EdHat land.

sacjon Jul 28, 2021 10:17 AM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

10:13 - or whoever you are... quit being a simpleton. I never defended arsonists, just spoke up for the homeless when they were constantly being blamed for fires before any facts were in, such as the fire at Lizard's Mouth. I advocate against assumptions, but I see there's nothing to assume about you. You've proven quite well your inability to think and reason time and again this morning. Have a good one!

a-1627492604 Jul 28, 2021 10:16 AM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

You missed JB86's comment calling this "just another bum fire" as well; again, you need to read more thoroughly.

a-1627492390 Jul 28, 2021 10:13 AM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

Quit acting like an advocate for the homeless who are starting fires and people will stop calling you one

sacjon Jul 28, 2021 09:43 AM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

Oh I see.... DUKE's comment. Yeah, whatever. I'm honestly getting tired of being labeled some kind of "homeless advocate" or something awful and stupid like that. Carry on!

sacjon Jul 28, 2021 09:41 AM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

9:36 - where? And if the person that started it was homeless, then so what? I don't "attack" anyone other than those who instantly assume every fire, no matter where it is, was caused by the homeless. You know, like DEFENDING people without a voice. Sad that you are so threatened by that.

a-1627490172 Jul 28, 2021 09:36 AM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

Someone made an attribution of the fire to the homeless, and yet you failed to attack them inexplicably

sacjon Jul 28, 2021 09:31 AM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

9:10 - Why would I make a comment about homeless starting this? Yeah, I'm a real jerk for condemning assumptions about homeless people every time someone sees smoke. Dang, I'm awful!

dukemunson Jul 27, 2021 07:09 PM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

I thought we solved this with the 2 million dollars on the 3 month hotel… no?

Roger Jul 27, 2021 06:38 PM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

I never heard a darn thing after the first call out of the SO Channel weird so Thank You guys for taking over.

JB86 Jul 27, 2021 06:23 PM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

Fire still trying to access; not a large event, just another 'bum fire.'

ScannerAndrew Jul 27, 2021 06:19 PM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

Crews are trying to make access to the fire; fire is in between 217 and Ward drive - homeless camps in this area

Roger Jul 27, 2021 06:17 PM
Brush Fire Near UCSB Campus

Not hearing alot on this if anyone else is feel free to take over I did not see it up so posted.