By Scanner Andrew

Multiple callers reporting a vehicle hit a pedestrian and then heard shots in the 200 block of Mathilda Drive in Goleta.

JB86 Jul 27, 2021 01:52 AM
Assault With a Deadly Weapon in Goleta

Post-script; the suspect was the subject of two criminal protective orders and the 9mm handgun recovered showed as stolen. He also had no CDL, for what that's worth.

JB86 Jul 27, 2021 12:26 PM
Assault With a Deadly Weapon in Goleta

Roger: the original want was 245 and 273d (domestic violence), both felonies. There could be other charges related to violation of restraining orders or probation or parole, and the stolen gun; if he was a convicted felon, the penalties get steep fast, including separate felony charges for possession of ammo. Certainly a candidate for no-bail hold.

SB_TAHOE Jul 27, 2021 08:52 AM
Assault With a Deadly Weapon in Goleta

Give the 'blame Newsom/the Democrats' thing a rest. This is good old-fashioned domestic violence, it would have occurred regardless of what political party the governor is. News flash, not Every Single Thing that occurs is Newsom's fault.

edney Jul 27, 2021 09:30 AM

The question would be:
Would the crime have occurred if this person was still incarcerated for their full sentence?
Which begs for several other questions to be asked, but of course the answer to my question would be "No", but without knowing the details it could be the Newsom policy, or it could be a future beneficiary of the policy.

sacjon Jul 27, 2021 11:43 AM
Assault With a Deadly Weapon in Goleta

SAIL380 - blaming Newsom for his policies is different than blaming him for every single criminal act that takes place in the state. And no one, even with your silly "TDS," blames Trump for every single problem in the world. Stop overexaggerating.

Henry Sarria Jul 27, 2021 12:28 PM
Assault With a Deadly Weapon in Goleta

Not to paint a bad picture of the area, but when I 1st moved here from Culver City in 1983, I lived on Daytona Dr. in Ellwood.
Well, 1 night I was goin' out for a skateboard ride around the neighborhood & 1 of my housemates said "Dude, whatever you do, DON'T go down Mathilda!" They went on to say it was sketchy there @ night.
The house I lived in, it backed up to the Rancho Estates mobile home park & I made some friends there, they'd tell me about incidents on Mathilda all the time. I took my housemate's advice, never roamed there @ night.

Roger Jul 27, 2021 01:23 PM
Assault With a Deadly Weapon in Goleta

I used to hang out near there at night when I was drinking no one bothered me..I lived in the 400 Block of Ellwood Beach Drive for a time neighbors told me about some murders on the beach in the 80's I never read about in the papers..

Henry Sarria Jul 27, 2021 02:47 PM
Assault With a Deadly Weapon in Goleta

Roger, correction on my comment, it was 1987 that I moved up here from Culver City. Yeah, I heard about sketchy stuff that went down around there back in the day.
You say you never heard about the stuff in the papers, makes sense, we didn't have the internet & suppression of news was probably easier then.
Now you got things such as this site & word about stuff gets out then followed by comments, for good or bad.

Roger Jul 27, 2021 03:51 PM
Assault With a Deadly Weapon in Goleta

I was living there in the mid 90's a neighbor told me there had been Gay men killed on the beach at Ellwood in the 80's he told me this because he thought me and my room mate were Gay and he was warning us. It kind of shook me up not because I'm straigh but someone thought I might be Gay and I might be killed with my friend because it was thought we were both Gay..I don't know if there were murders there in the 80's though in the 60's late there were murders on the beach at Butterfly Beach, and below UCSB it was thought the Manson family was involved with those homicides.. I got here in 1980.

Henry Sarria Jul 28, 2021 05:43 AM
Assault With a Deadly Weapon in Goleta

Roger, I think the murderer in those cases was the Golden State Murderer & from what I hear, he was recently caught w/ the help of DNA sequencing data & is a retired CHP officer named Joseph James DeAngelo. Here's the story behind the dude:

JB86 Jul 30, 2021 10:44 PM
Assault With a Deadly Weapon in Goleta

Small correction; DeAngelo was not a retired CHP officer. He worked for a short time at a local police department in Northern CA.