Electric Bicycle Fire on Hollister Ave

Electric Bicycle Fire on Hollister Ave title=
Electric Bicycle Fire on Hollister Ave

By an edhat reader

Motorcycle or electric bike was on fire at 4:50 PM (Wednesday) on Hollister in front of the Toyota dealership.

Sail380 Jul 24, 2021 09:54 AM
Electric Bicycle Fire on Hollister Ave

Who knew a bicycle could make so much smoke? Electric vehicles don't look to environmentally friendly and emission free in this case!!!!

Minibeast Jul 23, 2021 09:56 AM
Electric Bicycle Fire on Hollister Ave

A friend of mine once doused an engine fire (his VW bug) with a big cup of Coca-Cola. The incident took place roadside. He was a car mechanic and said later on that the coke did the trick, but he regretted the "choice" (all he had on hand at the time) of extinguishing agent.

Henry Sarria Jul 23, 2021 12:24 PM
Electric Bicycle Fire on Hollister Ave

Minibeast, HAHAHAHA! Yeah, any sort of carbonated liquid can put out a fire because of the CO2 released upon agitation. He was lucky & from your account, it sounds like he was using a later model VW engine which had a higher aluminum concentration than magnesium. Regardless, as a VW guy myself, I'm glad he got the fire out & saved the VW!

Henry Sarria Jul 23, 2021 06:09 AM
Electric Bicycle Fire on Hollister Ave

By the way, I have to add, that's a class D fire. Class D is metal & the fire suppression on those is much different than A, B or C, you either have to use silica (sand) or a specific foam. Any water hits that fire is a BIG mistake.

a-1627111981 Jul 24, 2021 12:33 AM
Electric Bicycle Fire on Hollister Ave

What a coincidence.
Down some rabbit hole a few days ago, I watched videos of slag dumping. Then of course a slag dump into water...
There was a video on Twitter a few days ago, during and due to the flooding in China, in Zhengzhou, Henan Province, of an aluminum factory exploding.
Terrible, this is longer than the one I saw:

Henry Sarria Jul 23, 2021 12:21 PM
Electric Bicycle Fire on Hollister Ave

RHS, I've had to fight class D fires, given my field of work (engineering, materials) & the best course is always the dry powder extinguishers or basically, just sand.
In many of my labs I've worked in we always had a 5 gal. bucket of sand near the weighout areas or gloveboxes just in case of a metal fire.
The problem w/ a metal fire is they burn so hot that when water is applied onto them, a huge explosion occurs & said explosion sends flaming shrapnel all over the place, so now you got numerous spot fires, maybe even on you. I've seen this happen & it's never a good thing.
The ABC extinguishers, they do help to a degree, but the thermal suppression power of the monoammonium phosphate is not near close to handling the intense heat produced. Halon extinguishers are good, but that's mostly in confined areas & even those don't do much.
When I worked for DuPont, we had 1 of those big yellow class D extinguishers (Amerex B570) & it was a dry powder extinguisher.
The powder agent used may be either powdered graphite, granular sodium chloride or copper based, all of which are effective at separating the ignited metal from the oxygen as well as handling the extremely high metal fire temperatures. Never had to use it, but we were ready just in case!

RHS Jul 23, 2021 08:59 AM
Electric Bicycle Fire on Hollister Ave

Sarria: The excellent article you shared with us specifically says that one should fight these fires with water and ABC extinguishers (unless the fire is unapproachable). Is your advice based on something else?

Henry Sarria Jul 23, 2021 06:07 AM
Electric Bicycle Fire on Hollister Ave

Here's a decent article regarding e-bike battery fires you all might find interesting:

sfgac055 Jul 22, 2021 08:07 AM
Electric Bicycle Fire on Hollister Ave

I believe they are, in another article on this occurrence I read the fire had damaged one of the trucks for sale on the Toyota lot.