By an edhat reader

I'm searching for a local butcher on the South Coast that offers quality cuts of beef and pork, grass fed with no added hormones. Any recommendations?

hz Jul 22, 2021 11:08 AM
Local Butcher Referral

Cuyama lamb..locally grass fed sheep... https://www.cuyamalamb.com/

ZeroHawk Jul 22, 2021 10:34 AM
Local Butcher Referral

not sure about grass fed this and that, but Santa Cruz has a killer butcher shop and the best tri tip in town...Ye Olde was the BEST ever, but they are gone. My great grandfathers butcher shops in Santa Paula and Ojai (were) the best but he closed them and moved them to Idaho

a-1626969930 Jul 22, 2021 09:05 AM
Local Butcher Referral

Ah, memories of Whitefoot's on Milpas! Meanwhile, we like the Lazy Acres butchers.

SBZZ Jul 22, 2021 08:38 AM
Local Butcher Referral

I rarely shop at Whole Foods but their butcher shop is amazing - quality - natural-fed chickens and they have grass-fed beef. Ye Olde was my #1 choice back in the day.

swarfmaster Jul 22, 2021 08:28 AM
Local Butcher Referral

Try the Country Caterer on Hollister near Zodo's.

cwazny Jul 22, 2021 07:44 AM
Local Butcher Referral

Wow! Is there anything that doesn't turn into some political rant? I've always like Shalhoob's. If you call them early enough in the day, they'll give you any cut you'd like. I've even had them tenderize some cut of top round to make rouladen,

greg Jul 21, 2021 07:59 PM
Local Butcher Referral

Two recommendations: 1) Harbor Market , hidden gem at 21 Helena Avenue, Pedro will cut meats as you prefer, it opens at 6am and closes early afternoon, weekdays, cash only. Excellent quality and prices. (2) Have tried many of the grocery stores in town for the best bacon and best value at $6.99 a pound is asking the butcher to cut thick bacon at the Ralph's on Chapala Street, friendly, helpful Saul is the manager. Baked in the oven over a rack, I make a weeks supply in one cooking and use over a period of days.

MountainMan4865 Jul 21, 2021 07:25 PM
Local Butcher Referral

If you're looking for local, organic meat - There is Valley Piggery - https://www.valleypiggery.com/
Pork Palace (which is at the Sunday Farmer's Market in the big box, probably most of the Farmer's Markets)- https://www.porkpalace.com/
Wattkin's - https://www.watkinscattleco.com/
If you're looking for a mobile butcher - www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Livestock_ID/pdfs/MobileSlaughterDirectory.pdf There was a local guy, don't know if he's on this list. White's closed.
I think Valley Piggery uses Cal Poly for slaughter, but not for processing.

Gregoreo Jul 21, 2021 06:28 PM
Local Butcher Referral

“Grass fed pork” I can’t say I’ve ever heard that before.

SBREADER Jul 21, 2021 06:25 PM
Local Butcher Referral

Well if you can afford it my lifelong friend Tony the butcher at Montecito Grocery will provide you with the best steak available in SB County.

a-1626916615 Jul 21, 2021 06:16 PM
Local Butcher Referral

I like service and product at the Vons Turnpike but honestly the butchers there just 'do the job' they are given. Once in awhile there is a happy and helpful butcher who takes an interest in the question and issue you raise but usually it is just a gloomy guy trying to get you to hurry up.

kids Jul 21, 2021 05:56 PM
Local Butcher Referral

I used to go to Ye Olde Butcher shop. Sadly they are gone. Now, I only go to Gelson's. Great meat department!!

kids Jul 21, 2021 05:54 PM
Local Butcher Referral

I used to always go to Paul at Olde Butcher Shop. Sadly gone. Now I would only go to Gelson's. Amazing meat department!

Sail380 Jul 21, 2021 02:47 PM
Local Butcher Referral

Watkins Cattle Co. in Ojai raises their own organic beef. We make a couple trips a year to stock up. If you happen to enjoy suppling your own protein. they are a very good wild game processor.

Sail380 Jul 22, 2021 03:30 PM
Local Butcher Referral

Having grown up in rural New Mexico I can tell the difference between how the Navajo's respected their game compared to a slaughter house. What respect does a mortician show to a body that's just going to be cremated or buried?

shorebird Jul 22, 2021 09:56 AM
Local Butcher Referral

You response does not answer my question. What behavior would the butcher use to show respect to a dead animal? I agree that a mechanic should not damage a vehicle. Because it still needs to function eventually. But cannot see the link to a dead animal that is set to be dismembered.

Sail380 Jul 22, 2021 09:35 AM
Local Butcher Referral

Shorebird. Taking a life to sustain your own creates a great responsibility to use it effectively and respectfully. Watkins shares this belief.

I suppose you could somewhat liken it to your auto or bicycle mechanic. If you found your mechanic not properly respecting or abusing your property, More than likely you would choose a different mechanic next time you needed work done .

shorebird Jul 21, 2021 08:18 PM
Local Butcher Referral

I am curious to ask what behaviors would a butcher exhibit to show respect for a dead animal he/she was processing?

MountainMan4865 Jul 21, 2021 07:14 PM
Local Butcher Referral

Sail380 - Paid shill, employed to steer the narrative. Just ignore.

MountainMan4865 Jul 21, 2021 07:13 PM
Local Butcher Referral

Sail380 - Paid shill, employed to steer the narrative. Just ignore.

Sail380 Jul 21, 2021 04:19 PM
Local Butcher Referral

I really don’t know. Help me understand how a free range cow is safer to consume than a deer harvested in the same area. Processed by the same butcher cooked by the same person.

Sail380 Jul 21, 2021 04:19 PM

pstarSR Jul 21, 2021 03:50 PM
Local Butcher Referral

watkins respects the animals they process for you. probably the best way to treat an animal you plan to eat.

Sail380 Jul 21, 2021 03:30 PM
Local Butcher Referral

Really? Explain how a wild animal has more pathogens and parasites than a cow? Often located in the same places eating the same food.

a-1626906105 Jul 21, 2021 03:21 PM
Local Butcher Referral

There's nothing so satisfying as sourcing your own pathogens and parasites from the great outdoors.

a-1626902399 Jul 21, 2021 02:19 PM
Local Butcher Referral

We've had good experiences with the butchers at Gelson's and the Turnpike Vons.